New Moon: The Vampire Names of Twilight

New Moon: The Vampire Names of Twilight
Photo Credit: ANG/Fame Pictures

We know some of you have already caught an early screening of the latest movie release in the Twilight series.  The Twilight Saga: New Moon, which opened today, is the second in the enormously popular vampire romance series by Stephenie Meyer.

As Laura Wattenberg points out in this week’s Baby Name Wizard Blog, Meyer’s vampire names define cutting edge artistic naming style.

While the ordinary teenagers in Twilight have ordinary names like Mike, Lauren and Jessica, Twilight’s undead sport names that are edgier and were certainly at the vanguard of baby naming trends when the first of the Twilight books (and coincidentally enough, the first edition of the Baby Name Wizard book) was released in 2005.

Here’s a rundown of Twilight’s vampire names and where they stood on the popularity charts in 2005 vs. 2008, the most recent year we have data for.

Vampire Names

• Edward -- #134 in 2005, #148 today
  • Alice --#414 in 2005, #326 today
  • Emmett -- #593 in 2005, #547 today
  • Jasper -- #538 in 2005, #452 today
  • Rosalie -- not in the top 1000 in 2005 or today
  • Esme -- not in the top 1000 in 2005 or today
  • Carlisle -- not in the top 1000 in 2005 or today

We predict that the visibility of the Twilight series via the movies will lead all these names to rise in the 2009 rankings.  Do you agree?  Which of the vampire names do you think will rise most? Do you have a favorite name from the Twilight series?

(see also our previous story. Team Edward Vs. Team Jacob)

--J.B.

Comments

November 20, 2009 10:23 AM
By Dominique

I am a big fan of the name Alice. Also Rosalie. I bet Rosalie will rise to the top 1000 -- seems to fit the current trend of old-fashioned cool. And there are great nicknames, like Rose, Rosa, Lee.

November 20, 2009 1:17 PM
By Mom to 3 (not verified)

Esme and Emmett.

November 20, 2009 5:02 PM
By Julie (not verified)

The funny thing is that when I was pregnant and had not yet read _Twilight_ I ended up considering what turned out to be most of the vampire names: Rosalie, Emmett, Bela (for a boy), and, my favourite, Jasper. We had an Edie, after my great-grandmother. Rosalie was my grandmother's name and I think that will see a dramatic rise in 2009.

November 21, 2009 9:02 AM

Esme has always been one of my favourites.

November 21, 2009 9:57 AM

Esme is coming up!!! Look at any baby name poll site. Horrid name but true here come the Esmes many of them pronounced funny watch and see

November 23, 2009 4:19 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

You forgot one big name that has risen since the start of the Twilight Mania: Cullen.

I love almost all the vampire names from Twilight, the two exceptions being Emmett and Carlisle.

February 7, 2011 12:58 PM
By Rowelin (not verified)

I have never read nor seen the Twilight series, and I don't plan to. When I mentioned that I wanted to name my second son Emmett I was asked if it was after Twilight. I told them I had no idea what they were talking about. I said that it was actually after Back to the Future, and they had no idea what I was talking about. I actually isn't after either. I just like the way it sounds as a sibling name for my son.

June 14, 2011 11:01 AM
By comment maigrir vite (not verified)

Wow, nice post,you can find different person searching about that now they'll find enough resources by your post.Thank you for sharing to us.Please 1 additional post about that..

December 13, 2012 10:50 PM
By Beats By Dre Studio (not verified)

Ma Guangming went on to say: Municipal Organization Department Minister to the provincial meter Economic Commission took office, at your bidding, my company's materials to send later, you see ...

March 31, 2013 2:46 AM
By Kiley Kaui (not verified)

Not many blogs that contain such consistently readable and interesting content as is on offer here, you are due the time it has taken to jot down my appreciation at your endeavours. Thank you.

April 5, 2013 1:59 PM
By zu Hause (not verified)

I really think this is such a good blog, there are lots of interactions going on over the comments, I have been looking around the internet for something of valuable information and finally found this post that caught my attention.

June 30, 2013 1:02 AM
By Windows password reset disk (not verified)

Good innovation in your article. I tried to write an article on my own, but it was all in vain, I thought I won’t be able to write it ever.

July 9, 2013 11:14 AM
By mercurial vapor ix (not verified)

Great,Thank for sharing this page. I’m interested in your blog.

April 28, 2014 12:24 AM
By jonne (not verified)

I would love to thankful for concerning posting this understanding. I just need to let you know that I just take a gander at your site and I find it to a great degree fascinating and educational about Amazon Discount Code. I can barely wait to examine loads of your posts.

May 8, 2014 6:20 AM
By Ethane (not verified)

The post is written in very a good manner and it entails much useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept about Mother’s Day Poems.

May 8, 2014 6:22 AM
By have a look (not verified)

I am really enjoying reading your article about Mother’s Day Poems and it is well written articles. I think you spend numerous effort and time updating your blog. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. I think you spend numerous effort and time updating your blog.