Which state likes the spiciest names?

Which state likes the spiciest names?
Photo Credit: ICON/Fame Pictures

Peruse any list of spices and you'll see that while most have never made the name charts (we're looking at you, dill weed), a few have been big hits. But as with food, spicy names are more popular in some parts of the country than in others. Here are some that have had popular success.

Rosemary: This name made the top 100 in Arizona and New Mexico in the early sixties. In 1966 in Arizona, Rosemary peaked at #91.

Cinnamon: Although the name never made the top 100 in any state, Cinnamon did make an appearance on the baby name charts in 1969, when it was the #700 girl name in the US.

Ginger: While the name peaked in popularity in 1967 when it hit #67 in Wyoming, Ginger was popular through the seventies in parts of the south and west, hitting the top 100 in Idaho, Arkansas, Tenessee, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and Oklahoma.

Sage: Unique among spice names, Sage has enjoyed a recent vogue for both boys and girls. Sage for girls first hit the top 100 in Wyoming in 1997, but peaked in Vermont in 2003 at #52. Idaho, Montana and Maine namers have also loved Sage for girls. For boys? Sage has been most popular in Hawaii, where it peaked in 2005 at #79.

Sage is a celebrity favorite too: 2008 brought us both Sage Florence Galafassi and Sage Gold Marshall. And who can forget Sage Moonblood?

It seems clear: spice names are more popular in the west and south, and less popular in the midwest. So in which state do people like their names the spiciest? We have to give the nod to Wyoming, where Ginger made the biggest splash and where Sage first appeared as a spice name to notice.

Other spice names to consider: Saffron (as in Simon LeBon's daughter), Juniper, and Poppy (our database shows two celebrity children with this name). Or how about Basil or Lavender?

What spice names do you like?

--L.R.

Comments

November 26, 2009 9:21 AM
By Jennie

Interesting. I wonder if Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl which came out in 1969 had anything to do with the rise in that name that year?

Ginger will forever be associated with Gilligan's Island for me (it had its initial run in the 1960s but lived on in syndication through the 1970s)

Then there's the Simon & Garfunkel song Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, though timing doesn't seem to have anything to do with popularity of those names...

I definitely think Poppy (the name of the younger sister in City of Ember) and Lavender (a minor character in the Harry Potter series) could be part of the next generation of popular names.

November 26, 2009 11:55 AM
By Zoerhenne (not verified)

I've always loved the name Sage but spelled with an i like Saige (rhymes with Paige though-see Laura's post on babynamewizard.com)
The other spice name I've always wondered if it was usuable is Coriander. It's got the nn possibility of Cori/Corrie and is long like Alexander. I really don't see why not.

November 26, 2009 4:58 PM
By Rmommaoffive (not verified)

I really like Saffron and Lavender. Oh how I wished I had the guts to use Lavender!......but I don't. sigh...

My husband gives me the thumbs down to Saffron. I like the cute nickname saffy.

Thank goodness I have my husband to level me out. :)

November 26, 2009 6:44 PM

My favorite spice name is Cassia - Love it!

November 27, 2009 1:26 PM
By amanda (not verified)

I honestly like the name pepper and my husband does to, but we already have a pilot and i don't think they sound good together.

November 27, 2009 8:25 PM
By Kerri (not verified)

I have a great uncle Basil, but it's pronounced Baz-ill, I think it's French-Swiss? My grandpa (his brother) has the middle name Charle (no "s"). Anyway, I have always thought Basil was a cool name.

November 27, 2009 9:06 PM
By A Rose (not verified)

I kind of like Basil, pron BAZ-il. I also love Juniper and I like Rosemary and Ginger.

November 29, 2009 8:56 AM

Zoerhenne - I went to school with a girl named Coriander, although she went by her middle name (Caeli).

November 29, 2009 8:22 PM

Cinnamon makes me think of the game "Masterpiece" where you buy & sell paintings. There was one titled "Cinnamon" and it was a girl with a red bandanna, looking like a fashion trend setter. I always thought the name suited her!

And I too thought of the Simon & Garfunkel reference!

December 1, 2009 5:46 AM

There's a race car driver in Australia with a daughter named Chilli (http://www.v8supercars.com.au/drivers/DriverDetails.asp?DID=73)