New Baby Alert: London born to Neal McDonough

New Baby Alert:  London born to Neal McDonough
Axelle/Bauergriffin.com

Neal McDonough and his wife Ruve welcomed their daughter this week. London Jane joins siblings Morgan Patrick and Catherine Maggie, according to PEOPLE.

London is something of a departure, since both Morgan and Catherine have been consistently popular for more than a century, while London appeared out of nowhere less than a decade ago and has already reached #156 for girls (an honor which, for boys, goes to Braden).

However, London does fit with the trend of place names, which we've written about (among other places) here. Two celebrities who've embraced this trend are Rachel Griffiths and Toni Collette.

What is your favorite place name? Do you like London?

--L.R.

Comments

January 28, 2010 9:28 PM
By Allie (not verified)

I like London! One of my good friends had a baby last year named Londyn Geneva. This is probably my favorite place name.

January 29, 2010 3:46 PM

I like the name London, but I like it spelled Londyn. I am thinking of naming my daughter that...Just wondering if it is too diferent....

February 1, 2010 9:23 PM
By British American (not verified)

I'm not really a fan of place names and especially not London. I like it even less when it's spelled Londyn.

It might be nice if you had a special connection to the city - like that was where you met or where you went on your honeymoon. Otherwise it seems somewhat strange to just pick the name of a city - especially if you've not even visited the place.

February 4, 2010 11:51 AM
By Kristina (not verified)

I thought place names were falling out of favour?
There's a whole crop of Montanas, Dakotas, Austins who were born in the 1990s...

February 5, 2010 4:04 PM
By Lane

True, but they are being replaced by Adelaides, Brooklyns and Londons. (Dakota is also still pretty popular.)

February 5, 2010 7:36 PM

My baby girl is three months old and her name is London Lee. Lee is my middle name and London is the only one we agreed on, however, the city of London was probably one of our least favorite visited places. We also like the name Berlin, but hated that city too. If we have another girl we might name her Berlyn, not spelled like the city. But, I DO NOT like London spelled with a 'y'... weird, I know.

February 8, 2010 6:27 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

I strongly dislike place names like London or Brooklyn (although I don't mind them if they were a name first like Adelaide, Georgia or Charlotte). I really dislike Londyn which just looks wrong to me.

Anon: Don't name your daughter Berlyn! To me Berlin will always be connected to the Berlin Wall and East Germany. And Berlyn just looks like tryndee nonsense to me. Just my humble opinion though.

February 10, 2010 6:17 PM

London is a hideous "name." I'm so disappointed-- Morgan (on a BOY! no less-- angels sing) and Catherine are lovely, and I had high hopes for this child as well.

Maybe they will call her Jane.

March 12, 2010 9:31 PM

I really cannot express how much I hate the name Londyn. It makes me want to vomit; sorry. London is bad enough, but at least it doesn't have a trendy yet ridiculous superfluous 'y' in it.
I also hate the name 'Morgan'

Anonymous: why would you name your child after a place you hate? And misspell it no less?! It seems a bit daft, and I don't know why you hate those cities so much. I love them both.

June 8, 2010 8:51 PM

I didn't name her AFTER a place, I like the name/word London and I like how it sounds. It's just ironic that I happened to not like the PLACE. My favorite city so far has been Prague, but I would NEVER name my child that; it doesn't sound nice!

May 22, 2012 10:27 PM
By love story (not verified)

I have read most of them and got a lot from them. To me, you are doing the great work. Carry on this. work at home In the end, I would like to thank you for making such a nice website