Olympic Games Name: Lindsey Vonn

The name Lindsey is in the spotlight thanks to gold medalist Lindsey Vonn. Skiing for the United States, Lindsey won her first Olympic gold in the women's downhill on Wednesday.  Here is some name information on the name Lindsey for you to keep in mind as you watch Vonn in today's super-G race.

Origin: Comes from the surname Lindesie. This is a place-name, combined of the Old English elements for linden tree (lind) and wetland (ey). See Namipedia's entry for Lindsey for more.

Variations: Lindsay (the version used by Lindsay Lohan), Lynsey, Lyndsay, Linsey

Popularity: Lindsey's been in the top 1000 girl names in the U.S. since the 1970s. In 1984, the year Lindsey Vonn was born, the name hit #42 and is currently at spot #277. See here to compare with other spelling variation on Name Voyager.

Nicknames: Lindie, Lindy, Linni, Linnie, Linny

Interestingly enough, Lindsey Vonn's nickname is "The Don" or "Don Don."  This came about due to skier Bode Miller, who misspelled Lindsey's maiden name, Kildon, during a bowling match.  Her married surname comes from Thomas Vonn, fellow skier and her coach.

Thoughts on the name Lindsey?  This is a name with quite a few spelling variations -- any a particular stand out?  Any famous incarnations of this name that you can think of?  Does it seem an appropriate fit for a gold medal winning downhill racer?

--D.J.

Comments

February 22, 2010 3:13 PM
By Lane

That's funny about her nickname. I prefer the "Lind" versions. This name does bring a particular time to mind for me -- I've had a lot of students named Lindsay in the past few years (not surprisingly, since as you point out here the name was very popular in the 80s.)

February 24, 2010 9:56 AM
By Elisabeth (not verified)

I think Lindsey,say,sy sie's popularity is going to fall despite Olympic success. It's a nice name, but it was so popular in the 80's that I think many mothers now will think it's another Jennifer (sorry all Jennifers out there). To me it seems to fit with a lot of other "ey" names:
Tiffany, Charity, Hailey, Emily, Carrie, Harmony etc.

February 26, 2010 9:22 AM
By Heather-bo-bether (not verified)

We've always liked this name because of Lindsay Davenport, the tennis player.

February 26, 2010 1:01 PM
By Laura_mac (not verified)

I've always loved Lindsey for a boy, although it's a pretty girls name too. It's another one of those old male names that's been thoroughly co-opted by women, but there are precedents, like Lindsey Buckingham and Lindsey Graham. I think it has a nice, distinguished air to it.

February 23, 2015 11:57 PM
By jhon (not verified)

I like your website,you have mentioned about olympic game which is interesting to read.I will share the post with my friends.
rubber flooring makes your shop look attractive buy them from rubberflooringsuk.co.uk

February 24, 2015 12:07 AM
By mike (not verified)

I am pleased to read that lindsey von has won gold medal for USA.I will share the post with my friends.
london stock brick used for construction buy them from londonyellowbricks.co.uk

February 24, 2015 12:17 AM
By chris (not verified)

I am searching for nice website with informative stuff.I have found your website,it has informative stuff which i enjoyed reading.
rubber grass mats easy to use buy them from grassmatsuk.com