The Fantastic Name Fox

A few months ago, a Name Candy reader asked us to profile the name Fox, and now with The Fantastic Mr. Fox nominated for an Oscar in the Best Animated Film category, why not?

What can we say? Fox is hot.  It doesn't show up on any popularity charts yet and we currently have no celebrity babies with the first name Fox listed in our Celebrity Names Database.  However, judging by the sibling entries in Namipedia, there are plenty of people named Fox, and their siblings have uber-hot names like Scarlett, Annika and Jet.

We predict that Fox will break into the top 1000 in the next decade.  After all, it fits squarely with the key trends in baby boy names today -- one syllable, in the word name/surname style, and features the popular letters O and X. (see this story on XO in BabyNameWizard.com).  Plus, Fox's pop culture associations are both positive and broad -- in addition to The Fantastic Mr. Fox, there is Fox Mulder of the X-Files, and a wide range of actors including Michael J. Fox, Vivica A. Fox, Jamie Foxx, and Matthew Fox.

For those who think a name like Fox is too "out there," we beg to differ.  Fox would be perfectly at ease in a classroom full of Falcons, Sparrows and Wolfs.

As for whether the name could appeal for both boys and girls? Angelina Jolie  played a character named Fox in the film Wanted, but we suspect that "foxy" association would be too much of a burden for a little girl.

Do you agree with us that the name Fox is poised to rise?

--J.B.

Comments

March 7, 2010 3:34 PM
By British American (not verified)

There was a character on the soap opera 'Passions' called Fox. His full name was Nicholas Foxworth Crane - but he was known as Fox.

It's not one I'd personally choose for a son, but I could definitely see it rising in popularity.

March 9, 2010 2:28 PM
By Elizabeth (not verified)

I can see that is has all the "ingredients" of a hit, but... it just doesn't feel like a NAME to me. It would be like naming your kid Shoe or Pencil. I never thought it was a coincidence that all Agent Mulder's nearest and dearest called him by his last name.

March 11, 2010 5:33 PM
By Kitten (not verified)

Well, I would ALWAYS choose Fox over my own name: Kitten Hoda. Kitten is the name of a grandmother Kitty. I never was a Kitty. Or a Kitt. Never even a Hoda. As much as I hate it I'm always Kitten. I've insisted on being Kitt or Kyn, but it never happened.

March 13, 2010 1:28 PM
By Apple (not verified)

Kitten? You have to be kidding me!

How are you doing girl? I'll call you later.

Well, my name is Greanne Apple.

March 19, 2010 11:54 AM
By Miss Fox (not verified)

Fox is my maiden surname, I love it, so much that i plan on calling my first son it after I'm married. Kind of disappointed that it is rising in popularity as it would be so personal to me..

December 15, 2010 2:24 AM
By Michelle Mckee (not verified)

I don't plan on having any kids. Half of me thinks the kid would be teased, but with celebrities naming their kids such weird things like Pilot, Pirate, Kyd,Blanket (i couldn't believe this) ect. ect. Fox to me sounds adorable and different. I like it. Go for it.

November 23, 2011 10:45 AM

my son is 17 months and his name is Fox. I named him after Fox Mulder on the X-files.

March 4, 2012 2:24 AM
By Bethann (not verified)

I named my son Fox and it fits him perfectly.

April 18, 2012 3:13 PM
By Katie Momma (not verified)

A few months away from giving birth to my own little Fox Benjamin. It's definately different so be prepared to have thick skin when you tell it to strangers, but the hubz and I think it's a great name and thought it might work well balanced out with a traditional middle name. I imagine the name suiting the kind of little boy that you'll have to pull off the rafters as he'll be into everything. :)(As one reader stated above, I'm also a little worried it'll grow in popularity! Already saw two baby announcements in our local paper in the last year for a Fox! Yikes!)

May 23, 2012 2:26 PM

WOW! I named my son Fox in 2007 and cannot tell you how many impolite, incredulous comments I got at the hospital regarding his name. But now-fast forward- he's 5 and everybody loves his name. he is clever, sly, handsome and elegant, just like his name.

October 19, 2012 2:35 AM
By More information (not verified)

Good sharing of this nice post. Your blog always contains lot of helpful information. Thanks for sharing. Thanks.

May 14, 2013 7:22 PM
By Susan (not verified)

I have a 9 month old named Fox, and I also named him after the X-Files character! Besides the occasional weird look, most people seem to like it. More importantly, my husband and I LOVE it! Our son is totally growing in to his name as he is definitely wily :)

February 9, 2014 12:29 AM

I'm the proud Dad of a Fox David....we too got double takes at first but over the years a lot more positives....his buds call him Foxman and some girls in his class call him Foxy....but mostly he's Fox, and an awesome son.

September 3, 2014 7:57 PM
By Mom of Fox (not verified)

Hi. I named my son Fox in 1997. My mom and mom in law were the only ones that ever gave us any ribbing but now they love it. On occasion people think his first name is his last but that's easy to deal with. When my son was a toddler he would tell people his name was Fox and "wasn't that a cool name." It's a great conversation starter for him. The girls call him foxy or foxy woxy- or even foxy baby. Mostly he just gets called fox. Oh, he loves his name and his older brother hassles me about his name because his name is not as cool

September 4, 2014 11:33 AM

My sons name is Fox and we love it. We call him Foxy ourselves, its an adorable nickname. Fox Alexander Nicholas

November 16, 2015 11:40 PM

My son is named Fox. He is 7 years old and in the 1st grade. I named him Fox because he is 25% Paiute Indian, 25% black, 25% white, and 25% Pacific Islander and an only child. All American Fox of Nevada. When a fox is spotted, they are usually alone. Fox in Spanish is Zorro!I am always being told how cool his name is. I feel like his name gives him an early advantage with the ladies too. I imagine them saying, "Hi Fooooox!" in high school. No one has made fun of him. Kids only have questions about his name......like....are you a fox, a wolf, or a coyote? He always replies,"I am a human Fox!"
I have collected foxes since his birth. He literally has fox everything! Face it. This is one coooooool name.

February 21, 2016 10:46 AM

My son and his partner have just named their first baby boy Fox, some people are not too sure, but knowing the parents as clever, artistic and true to their beliefs the baby was always going to have an unusual name. We love him, his name suits him well,beautiful boy with a unique name.leaders, not a followers.

February 29, 2016 1:09 PM
By Tilly (not verified)

My boy is called Foxx.... spelt it with two X's to try to distinguish it as a name not an animal... but it really suits him and people always remember the kid called Foxx with the awesome hair :)

March 24, 2016 10:09 AM
By Antonetta (not verified)

My son is also named fox. ...fox danger. He is 5 now and just as awesome s his name would suggest.

July 7, 2016 6:07 AM
By Veronica (not verified)

A few years ago my ex- boyfriend started calling me Fox because he said that he would think of Hendrix's song "Foxy Lady" when we would get together. The name Fox stuck with me. Now more people call me Fox. I think it's a cool name for a guy and a sexy name for a woman. ;-)