Do Celebrities Turn to Spring for Naming Inspiration?

With spring upon us, we've been wondering: how often do celebrities turn to the spring season for naming inspiration?  Earlier this year we wrote about The-Dream and Christina Milian naming their little girl Violet.  This got us thinking about botanical names (opens up the category more than calling it "flower names").  Check out that post for a full listing of what we and our readers had to say, but here's a sampling of botanical names: Daisy, Iris, Magnolia, Sage and Heath.  But what about month names, and the name of the season itself?  How do such names fare in celebrity baby naming?

We decided to do a little research on our Celebrity Baby Names Lookup:

Spring

• No celebrities named Spring in our database.

April

• No celebrities named April in our database.

May

• May Rose Nivola (Emily Mortimer and Alessandro Nivola, choosing both a spring month and botanical name)

Capturing the sound of the season, but with a different spelling, how about Mae?

We also checked out a few botanical names, to see how they fared:

Lily  (A popular one, see full listing here for Lily here.  Below are several Lilys.)

Violet

Iris

Granted it's a limited and non-scientific sampling, but the botanicals -- in this case all flower names -- fare better than the months or Spring itself among celebrities.  Why do you think April and May (with the "y" spelling) fail to make the cut?  Could Spring work as a name?   Why do you think spring seasonal names tend to be associated more often with girls than boys?

--D.J.

Comments

April 13, 2010 5:16 PM
By joye (not verified)

April was mega-popular in the 70s and 80s and then went into free fall. I think that's a name that has lost its cachet. To the generation having babies, it's a name that sounds like a mom, not a baby.

April 14, 2010 3:51 PM
By Sebastiane (not verified)

I think April sounds fairly fresh, I haven't met many people in their early 40s late 30s with that name. I wouldn't say it was that popular during the 70s/80s, but of course I guess it all depends on where you live.

I think of Violet as more of an Autumn/Fall flower, not necessarily a spring flower. Lily is definitly spring like.

April 14, 2010 10:12 PM
By Sarah (not verified)

It seems like all the other seasons work as names except for Spring. Autumn, Summer, and now even Winter, are all more or less common girls names. Perhaps it is becuase while the other words are only seasons, Spring could also mean to jump or be a part in a machine. Its too much of a regular word. The closest thing I can think of to naming someone after the season itself is Verna, as in the Vernal equinox. I have never met a boy named after a season, but I did once know a boy named August, but everyone called him Gus.

April 20, 2010 12:24 PM
By Dianne T. (not verified)

Springer Holland Cate (brother of actor Field Cate).
Spring Byington (actress of the early to mid-20th century).

April 20, 2010 12:51 PM
By zoerhenne (not verified)

Spring sounds a bit odd due to the -ing ending. Summer, Autumn, and Winter have more lyrical endings. Are there other names that end in -ing? Yes and they are boys names. Sterling, Remington, Harding. Anyone know any more?

Also Rowan is a botanical name. Aren't there more besides Brooke Shields's child named this?

April 20, 2010 10:34 PM
By Karma (not verified)

I don't qualify as a celeb, but my mother went with "Violet Heather" for my middle names. :| Can't say I'm thrilled about either of them.

@zoerhenne: there's always Rowan Atkinson. :)

April 21, 2010 2:55 PM
By NAMES (not verified)

There are tons of names that can be of the spring origin.

You can use pagan god/goddess names that refer to spring.

Here is a list:
Aphrodite
Aradia
Isis
Adonis
Pan

April 21, 2010 4:05 PM
By Marbles (not verified)

I've met a Spring. She was a friend of my mother's. She isn't a spring chicken any more - I think she's in her 50s or 60s now.

April 22, 2010 1:29 PM
By Dominique

I like Persephone. But I wonder, is it at all bad karma to name a child after the Queen of the Underworld?