A Baby Named Cinco for Lance Armstrong?

Apparently, Lance Armstrong  is expecting Baby #5. (See this story at PEOPLE.com)  The seven-time Tour de France winner, cancer survivor, healthy-lifetsyle activist and well-known ladies man has three children (named Grace Elisabeth, Isabelle Rose and Luke David) with his former wife Kristen.  Baby "Cinco" as Armstrong refers to the baby-to-be on Twitter (@cincoarmstrong is baby's Twitter handle) will be his second child with girlfriend Anna Hansen.  Their 10-month-old son is named Maxwell Edward. Based on baby's info on Twitter, we're guessing the parents will be choosing the name Jack if the baby turns out to be a boy and Olivia if it's a girl.

Still, with our neighbors in Mexico getting ready for a week of Cinco de Mayo festivities, we had to wonder, is Cinco such a farfetched name? It's got that energetic -o ending so popular today.  And once upon a time birth-order names were much more common.

Here are some favorites that you might not even think of in that context:

1. Primo
2. Junior
3. Trey or Tripp
5. Quint or Quinton
6. Sixtus
7. Septimus
8. Octavius

Can you think of other names that fit the bill?  (We were stumped for what to name a baby #4.)

--J.B.

Comments

May 2, 2010 8:27 PM
By Allison (not verified)

Our son is Marshall IV, and we toyed with calling him "Ivy" for a while. It was decided that it was too girly.

But we also tossed around:
Quatro
Quad (this was a front runner for awhile)

We wound up calling him Mac. Since he's the fourth, and Mac means "son of," we thought it was an appropriate nickname (since he's the son of the son of the son of the original).

May 2, 2010 8:38 PM
By ClaireP (not verified)

Birth order names are much bigger in Confucian-based cultures, where birth order is more important in family responsibilities. The Japanese baseball player for the Mariners, Ichiro, means "first born son". While this name has the catchy -o ending, I have a hard time envisioning a name that starts with "itchy" as catching on in an English speaking country. Jiro, meaning "second born son" I could see possibly being a name that could be used here outside of Japanese speakers. Even more likely is Kenji, which can be "second intelligent son" and could be given the nickname Ken - a good heritage name for a yonsei Japanese American.

I read somewhere that Angus means something like "first" in Celtic. While Celtic names are very popular these days, with the possibility of the "g" being omitted from the name in jest, Angus not a name I'd be betting on to rise in popularity. The nickname "Gus" doesn't seem promising, either.

May 2, 2010 8:51 PM
By wa (not verified)

you were telling me about this in the living room !

May 2, 2010 9:06 PM
By Melanie (not verified)

Usher's son is called Cinco, because he's Usher Raymond the fifth.

Cinco does not fit with Armstrong's naming style at all though, so I can't see it for him.

May 2, 2010 9:09 PM
By Becky (not verified)

Have you seen 9 by Design on Bravo? The fifth child of that family is named "Five." All of their kids' names are unique -- would love to see a blog post about it. :-)

May 2, 2010 10:51 PM

Here are my pics for birth order names

1st - Una
2nd - Duece, Twain
3rd - Tre, Tripp
4th - Quaid
5th - Quincy
6th - Sestra, Six
7th - Septima or Septimus
8th - Octavia or Octavian

I made it up, but for some reason Quaid really grew on me

May 3, 2010 12:11 AM
By GilaB (not verified)

The Hebrew name Batsheva (commonly Anglicized as Bathsheba) means 'seventh daughter,' although of the several Batshevas I've known, none has been a seventh child/girl.

May 3, 2010 8:48 AM
By Sebastiane (not verified)

George on Seinfeld wanted to name his child Seven. Ever since, I have seen babies with this name. So I suppose, why not Cinco?

May 3, 2010 8:59 PM

Tetra means four, doesn't it? That's not so far-fetched for a name.

May 4, 2010 11:26 AM

My friend is a III, fondly known as Tripp. His son being the IV, they call him Quade.

May 4, 2010 5:10 PM
By sharalyn (not verified)

I found a blog that discussed this with some decent ideas!

May 5, 2010 9:58 AM
By Dorothy Hanna (not verified)

i'm impressed with Tetra and Quaid...my friends a Rawong...a minority burmese ethnic group... and their names, Zumiram and Nenzee, mean first daughter and second daughter. I think they are beautiful names.

May 5, 2010 8:42 PM
By joye (not verified)

Duessa is another possibility for a second, although the literary implications might be unfortunate (in The Faerie Queene by Spenser, Duessa represents falsehood and the Catholic Church, which Spenser wasn't keen on. Una represents the True Church, to Spenser, the Church of England).

I always liked Duessa, but then, I'm a Catholic, so what do I know! :)

The Faerie Queene has some other names that might appeal to contemporary parents... the male name Guyon sounds sophisticated, and for girls, Florimell could fit in with the -bel names that are all the rage.

November 18, 2012 10:13 PM
By cherrylee2020 (not verified)

Brand New Dell Vostro 1500 DVD Drive,Dell Vostro 1500 CD DVD RW Drive,Dell Vostro 1500 CD DVD ROM Drive,Dell Vostro 1500 CD DVD RAM Drive,Dell Vostro 1500 Optical Drive for sale at laptopdvdrw.com with low price and fast shipping.