Aviana and Friends: Do you like "Frilliana" Celebrity Names?

Aviana and Friends: Do you like "Frilliana" Celebrity Names?
Christian Slater, Frilliana Papa. Axelle/BauerGriffin.com.

Since Amy Adams named her baby Aviana Olea, readers have been jeering and cheering. Love it or hate it, Aviana is the newest celebrity entrant into the camp of Frilliana.

How to recognize a Frilliana:

• Ends in -ana, and probably with -iana or -yana
  • Has three or four syllables. (Dana is out.)
  • Has been invented (or, as in the case of Aviana, resucitated) only recently. (Diana is out.)
  • Is likely to start with a vowel. (Aiyana is in.)

Wihich other celebrities have used Frilliana names?

Celebrities love frilly -ellas, but the -ianas remain, in Celeb Land, largely undiscovered. Here are a few names you'll find high on the charts in 2009, but not yet attached to any celebrity tots in our database. (Enter these names in Name Voyager to see their staggering increase in popularity.)

• Adriana
  • Aliana
  • Elliana
  • Iliana
  • Giuliana
  • Lilyana
  • Mariana
  • Tatiana
  • Viviana
  • Yuliana

What do you think of Frilliana names?

--L.R.

Comments

May 20, 2010 1:27 PM
By kmc (not verified)

I think Name Voyager should have a feature where you can easily track the popularity of names ending with a specific group of letters. For example, it's easy to track the popularity of names beginning with A, Ari, or Bel but it isn't easy to do that with names ending in bella, iana, or n. For that information you have to check each name individually and crunch the numbers yourself. I know, I know, I'm lazy. Still, I think that would be an awesome upgrade.

May 20, 2010 1:27 PM
By SavvyAuntie (not verified)

Eliana or Elliana is common in the Jewish community. It literally means "God Answered." Many couples who had trouble conceiving name their daughter Eliana as a way to acknowledge that God has answered their prayers with a baby (girl).

May 20, 2010 4:45 PM
By Lane

Agree; I think Eliana's a lovely name and that's a lovely meaning.

May 21, 2010 9:15 PM

hate the frilliana names and all the faux italianate ones-please let the trend die quickly!!

May 22, 2010 1:26 PM
By Dominique

Oh, I'm a fan of Aviana! I also like Adriana and Viviana a lot.

May 23, 2010 5:05 AM

Don't mind the Frilliana names, but Aviana sounds like some sort of bird flu. Not a fan.

May 25, 2010 12:14 PM

A lot of those names sound like traditional Spanish and Italian names to me....

May 25, 2010 12:14 PM

A lot of those names sound like traditional Spanish and Italian names to me....

May 25, 2010 12:28 PM

Generally speaking, I really dislike frilly names. my ONE rule in choosing a name for my daughter was nothing with -anna or -iana. no way no how. But about a week before her birth, we realized none of our "favorites" were going to be right for her. My husband came home one day suggesting Eliana (he definitely likes the girly-girl names more than I do) and I decided to consider it. When we discovered it means "God has answered", we knew it was her name. Her arrival was definitely a long-awaited answer to prayer, though we are Christian, not jewish. Thankfully, Ellie is a great nickname. =)

May 25, 2010 12:35 PM
By Maria de Acero (not verified)

Aviana Olea sounds like a buttery, Colombian airline.

May 25, 2010 12:48 PM
By Maria de Acero (not verified)

As a proud Real Housewives fan :P, I have noticed that Teresa of the RH of NJ named her fourth daughter Audriana (following sisters Gia, Gabriella, and Milania). Then last night while walking my dogs, I swear I heard a neighbor calling to a toddler named Audriana as well (I'm in Austin, TX).

In the case of RHONJ Teresa, I don't mind the Frilliana name as much as she is actually Italian, and it goes with her other daughters' names. In fact, I expect nothing less from these ladies. Personally, I prefer a shorter version like Audrey.

Wow, I sound like an official Baby Name Wizard/NameCandy poster now!

May 25, 2010 12:55 PM
By Steph (not verified)

I prefer less frilly names (I picked Claire over Clara and Sophie over Sophia for my two girls), but what I like about the "Frilliana" names is that, at least, they are distinctly feminine, I am NOT a fan of androgynous names.

Aviana is NMS, I do like Arianna though (which definitely could be added to that frilliana list above), or even better in my taste -- Arianne.

May 27, 2010 4:30 PM
By Stephanie (not verified)

I was interested to hear that Amy Adams named her daughter Aviana because I named my daughter that- she will be 3 this August. Her name is Aviana Rose. I found it when I was in junior high school in one baby name book and it meant "living grace" but I suppose it could also mean "like a bird" if you take it from its Latin roots. Clearly, I love the name, but as soon as I named my daughter Aviana, I heard of an Abiona and Eliana. I had chosen Aviana because I had never heard of it before or since I found it in junior high and now those types of names are everywhere. Also, we just had another daughter which we named Ilyra and I have just in the last week encountered an Illyra. I chose those names because I thought they were unique and I do like hyper-feminine sounding names. Now I feel like at least in trends they are becoming almost normal sounding. But I can't help but feel like a trendsetter when celebrities start naming their kids the same names I chose :)

June 30, 2011 1:04 AM
By how pregnant (not verified)

I don't see any mismatch of these names. I love them.

May 24, 2012 8:50 PM
By Mom (not verified)

I love your Blog!

December 7, 2013 12:46 AM
By fb master class (not verified)

Thank you for some other informative blog. Where else may I am getting that kind of info
written in such a perfect way? I've a undertaking that I'm just now
running on, and I've been at the look out for such info.

December 29, 2013 9:33 PM
By biography bd (not verified)

Know the life stories of your favorite, famous and well-known figures with our wide collection of biographies.

December 29, 2013 9:36 PM
By biography bd (not verified)

awesome article which is very much beneficial to me.