Putting the Name Before the Baby

Putting the Name Before the Baby
Photo Credit: Axelle/Bauer-Griffin.com

Two new baby name announcements caught our eye this week.  Luc Thomas, son of actor Sean Patrick Thomas and Tatum Christopher Bryan, son of country music's Luke Bryan.

What? You missed the news of these babies' births? That's because they haven't been born yet.

More and more we are noticing the trend of celebrity parents pre-announcing baby names before the birth (see this story we wrote back in November).

In the case of Luc Thomas we find the pre-announcement especially surprising since mom Aonika Laurent Thomas has been quite open about her challenge carrying a pregnancy to term (see this item in PEOPLE). Many people consider it a bad omen to name a child before it is born.

BabyNameWizard.com community members debated the pros and cons of being a keeper vs. a sharer this winter in this blog post: To Tell or Not to Tell.  What do you think about pre-announcing a baby's name?

--J.B.

Comments

June 11, 2010 4:25 PM
By Sebalek (not verified)

I guess it all depends on how far along in your pg you are. We had names for both our sons prior to being born, but only finalized/announced them to immediate family after I hit the 36 week mark.

If I knew I'd had a hard time in the past carrying to term, I don't think I'd want to feel like I was jinxing myself by announcing a name.

June 11, 2010 11:11 PM

It's not a gross error or anything, I just kinda think it's boring. From the time I was little, I remembering looking forward to the magic moment when we found out that someone had their baby, whether it was a boy or girl, and what the name was. Of parenthetical interest was weight and length. Now it seems like you're not learning anything other than "it has happened." Good news, but missing something. Also, when you tell somebody your naming plans ahead of time, people feel free to crinkle their noses and tell you what they think you should name your child. Once the baby is born, those same people coo over the new little person and keep their criticism (if they have any) to themselves.

June 12, 2010 8:11 AM

I'm a teller. We told people our names from the minute we found out and told them we were pregnant, and once we knew gender, we refer to baby specifically by that name. (in our case, Clara) I see why people dont tell.. But for us its right.

June 12, 2010 4:43 PM
By Cassie (not verified)

We usually tell beforehand. With my first daughter it was much later because we were in hot debate until I was about 7 months along, but with my youngest two, we had the names picked and announced shortly after we found out the gender. I, too, have had losses, but we still named the babies and refer to them by those names since to us they are, and always will be, a part of our family.

June 12, 2010 6:06 PM

My future daughter is already named, and has been for years. Only my husband knows what I plan to name her (and he agrees with the name). It's a name after two close relatives. We don't plan to announce the name until she's born. Is it weird to have a name before you're even pregnant?

June 14, 2010 2:01 PM
By FranklinSmyth (not verified)

I'm in the it is tasteless camp. It ruins the surprise, allows more room for criticism, locks you into that name early, feels like you care more about style or aesthetics than the health and growth of the baby.

New parents last week close to me had already created a facebook page with the baby's name before she was born. It was creepy and bad omen-y and so many people were confused and thinking she had arrived. Same for shower invitations, help us welcome, ____! it said, and some of the older invitees actually thought this was some post-birth party and were confused, one respondent even said, sorry I have a *real* shower to go to that day!

I love names and gladly make lists of potentials, but if you have made the decision I strongly say keep it to yourselves and maybe share some candidate names.

June 15, 2010 4:01 PM

I think I must be super old-school, because I haven't been able to name any of my kids without seeing them first. I have had names picked out, and the second I saw each baby, I immediately eliminated ones that just didn't match the baby's face or personality.

If you name the baby before he/she is born, do you feel locked in to the name, even if it doesn't seem to fit?

June 15, 2010 5:31 PM
By with an E (not verified)

I had my girl name picked out when I was about 14, and my boy name picked out when I was about 20. Not pregnant, married, engaged or even dating anyone at the time.

June 16, 2010 7:27 AM
By Nyegallaty (not verified)

I believe people should do what they want. But I prefer to hear a few names people are considering - even if they've decided. But they need to keep in mind people can 'steal' their name & that will be much more frustrating. And if your loved ones hate the name, it would be easier to get them on board with it if you wait till they are actually looking at the precious baby. When it's still in utero, and you are calling it Sally, the name of grandpa's first wife, grandma will not be able to warm up to it. But if she is looking directly at her granddaughter Sally, she won't even remember that was gramps' first wife.

June 16, 2010 7:33 AM
By Nyegallaty (not verified)

The real question here is why is Luke Bryan giving his son a girls name, Tatum? Someone should give him a heads-up.