Sofia Coppola's Daughter: Cosima Too

Sofia Coppola's Daughter: Cosima Too
cedric /bauer griffin.com

Sofia Coppola has released the name of her stealth baby! Coppola and Thomas Mars welcome daughter Cosima to join sister Romy.  PEOPLE reports that Cosima was born within the past month, but Coppola and Mars just released the big name.  Does Cosima sound familiar to you? It should. Claudia Schiffer recently named her baby Cosima Violet.

Do you feel the love?  What is it about Cosima? We know one thing: one of our readers totally called it.

We recently asked readers to predict Sofia's choice, and reader Sebastiane did that. Responding to our theories that Coppola's baby name would be "sweet" and "offbeat," probably with a long "o," Sebastiane suggested names like Horatio, Oriana... and Cosima. Nice work!

As we wrote when Schiffer used the name, Cosima means "order" and has been used by Nigella Lawson and, in male form, by Beck. Two celebrity babies in one month using the same unusual name? Wow. Sounds like a trend.

What do you think of Cosima? Would you use it?

--D.J. + L.R.

Comments

June 25, 2010 1:58 PM
By Lane

No way. That's crazy!

June 25, 2010 2:06 PM

I like Sofia and Thomas as names, so I suppose the parents wanted unusual names for their children. Romy and Cosima might have some conflict when they are teenagers with their names.
I do like it better than Apple.
Some stars definitely want the unusual name for their child, and I guess it works in their universe.

June 25, 2010 2:34 PM
By Lane

I love Cosima. I think this density of usage might put this name on the map. Will it turn out to be a hot name of 2010?

June 29, 2010 12:50 PM
By Flaca (not verified)

I dont think Cosima is a "trendy" or "celebrity" name. Instead I think it reveals by Sofia C. an interest in highlighting her ethnic heritage - as Cosima is popular in Italy and Mediterrean countries. I am Latina and have chosen Latin names for my two girls - because I love my ethinicity - in fact there's nothing unusual or trendy about chosing an ethnic, national or cultural name for your child just because it isnt common in the States. Good for them! It's a lovely name!

June 29, 2010 1:11 PM
By Annee (not verified)

It's a bit off with Romy, imo.

June 29, 2010 3:32 PM
By Lucy (not verified)

Cosima Mars is awesome. Pretty Italian meets Ziggy Stardust.

June 30, 2010 2:27 PM
By Katsy (not verified)

I think Romy and Cosima make a pretty sister set.