New Baby Alert: Diablo Cody Welcomes Baby Marcello

New Baby Alert: Diablo Cody Welcomes Baby Marcello
Axelle/Bauergriffin.com

Diablo Cody and her husband, Dan Maurio, welcomed their son Marcello Daniel Maurio yesterday, the Juno screenwriter announced via Twitter.

From her pen name (Diablo) to the title character of her Acadamy Award-winning screenplay (Juno) to her new son's name (Marcello) -- we gather Cody likes names that end in "o." What else do the names share, with each other and with other recent celebrity births?

According to Namipedia, Marcello (an Italianate form of Marcus) may derive from Mars, the Roman god of war, but it might also derive from words meaning either manly, or soft and tender. It's a name with ancient roots, with a paradox built in.

Juno's another name of uncertain derivation -- Behind the Name says it may mean youth, but it also refers to the Roman wife of Jupiter, god of the heavens, who was the "protrectress of marriage and women." But on a modern girl, the name feels paradoxically frisky. According to the Baby Name Wizard, the name Juno on a girl sounds "quirky, individualistic, and confident." (The same might be said of Diablo -- another Greek-derived word that means devil, but on a perky young US stripper-turned-screenwriter sounds paradoxically quirky and confident.)

Spelled this way, Marcello doesn't make the charts, but Marcelo has risen several notches since it first appeared in the 1990s. Looking back on the charts, Marcellus was reasonably popular from the 1880s through the 1920s, and briefly buzzed the charts again in the 1970s. (Film junkies may recall that Ving Rhames played an imposing character named Marsellus Wallace in 1994's Pulp Fiction.)

And the girl's version, Marcella? It peaked in the 1920s and enjoyed popularity until the 1990s, when it disappeared. But with its ancient origins and ruffly sound, not to mention the -ella ending, doesn't it sound like a name that could come back? (See also: the recent celebrity babies named Cosima, another ancient name with contemporary sounds. And don't forget Cosimo.)

What do you think of Marcello and related names?

--L.R.

Comments

July 29, 2010 4:11 PM
By Jennie

maybe the next baby will be Elmo?

July 29, 2010 4:12 PM
By Jennie

Or Schlomo?

August 3, 2010 6:24 PM
By Tirzah (not verified)

Do you think it's pronounced mar-CHELL-o (Italian) or mar-SELL-o (Spanish)?

August 3, 2010 8:11 PM

if it was Spanish could it not be pronounced Mar-se-yo the double L making a 'y' sound? i dunno to be honest I don't know much Spanish but I know that Fernando Torres' wife's name is Olalla pronounced O-la-yah

when I see it though I'd pronounce it Mar-cell-o - when I first saw it though I didn't like the sound of it.

August 22, 2010 5:57 PM

Marcello is a pretty common Italian name.

It might be coincidence that this name ends in -o, most Italian boy names do, except maybe Nicola.

October 18, 2012 12:28 AM
By TheRoyalWeddingSite (not verified)

There are so many comments here that are really interesting and useful to me thanks

April 10, 2013 11:53 AM
By www.healthtipsmedia.com (not verified)

I have to acknowledge that purchasing essay papers at custom writing service available on the Web is something absolutely gorgeous. Do not omit an opportunity to buy term paper services which will help you to get high marks.

April 10, 2013 11:55 AM
By www.healthtipsformens.com (not verified)

I want to find the paid directory submission service ,which can make strategical internet business project, based on directory submission. I strive to win my web contest.

January 23, 2014 3:21 AM
By La Liga Spanyol (not verified)

I'm now not sure the place you are getting your information, but good topic. I must spend a while finding out more or understanding more. Thank you for fantastic information I used to be searching for this info for my mission.

May 1, 2014 2:24 AM
By Designer lehenga (not verified)

I like this site. Thanks for sharing this article, great way of bring such topic to discussion. Wow, that was pretty interesting. Inspiring, as well. Thanks for sharing such inspiring experience with us. Great blog, congrats!

September 3, 2014 5:58 AM
By url (not verified)

I have joined your feed and look forward more of your excellent articles.