The Baby Name of Choice in Jennifer Aniston's New Movie

The Switch, the new romantic comedy about a 40-year-old woman who decides to have a baby on her own terms, stars Jennifer Aniston and adorable newcomer, Thomas Robinson. As Aniston's son Sebastian, Robinson's character is a bit prissy and something of a wee hypochondriac; he also steals the movie.

And that got us thinking about the name Sebastian. Long popular in France and Chile, it ranked 70th in the U.S. in 2009. The name's origin is Greek, and it means revered or venerable. Prominent characters in both Shakespeare's Twelfth Night and Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited are named Sebastian. Of course, Sebastian is also the crab in Disney's The Little Mermaid. This crustacean Sebastian is a devoted friend to Ariel, but he's a fusspot, too, who takes himself perhaps a little too seriously.

What is it about this elegant, sophisticated name that evokes such somber intensity? Not that we're complaining; if all Sebastians are like the doe-eyed charmer in The Switch, we'll take 'em! And at least a couple of celebrities agree. The Young and the Restless star, Daniel Goddard, named his second son Sebastian William in 2008; his older son is Ford Martin. The following year in 2009, leader of the prep, Tommy Hilfiger, named his fifth child Sebastian Thomas. His four other children are Ally, Rich, Elizabeth and Kathleen.

What do you think? Do you like the name Sebastian? Do you think it's a fitting name for the little boy in The Switch?

-- V.L.

Comments

September 1, 2010 3:23 PM
By Allison Noelle Wells (not verified)

I love the name Sebastian. It's formal but not stuffy. Friendly.

How does this name relate to "Never Ending Story" name Bastian?

September 1, 2010 7:27 PM
By Caitlyn (not verified)

does it have *any* decent nicknames?

well, it has nicknames, or at least shortenings. I can't say I like any of them. Baz isn't bad.

Aside from that, it's okay. I tend to think of it as a little prissy - probably because of the lack of nicknames.

September 1, 2010 7:30 PM
By Caitlyn (not verified)

huh. I put the line "checks the namipedia" between the first two paragraphs in the above comment, and it didn't show up. I put carets around it; maybe the site thought it was html.

September 1, 2010 11:13 PM
By Sebalek (not verified)

My oldest son is Sebastian, an elongated form of Bastian (the little boy from The Never-ending Story, a movie I loved as a kid). I don't find it to be stuffy or pretentious, maybe a bit serious. Definitely not prissy since my guy is as far from that as you can get. We call our guy Seb or Sebi for short (as do those we know with kids the same name), though less frequently than the full blown name.

It's been getting more popular in my area (SF Bay) and probably more so now that it's in a current movie. My guy's 4, so predates the celeb babies mentioned.

I personally don't mind the "crab connection." We have a friend with a daughter, Ariel, pronounced are-ee-el so we always joke that one of us needs to have an Eric (though I do like the name Ursula, that would be pushing the Disney connection too much for me).

September 2, 2010 6:07 PM

I positively LOVE the name Sebastian. It's been a long time favorite of mine!

September 3, 2014 6:08 AM
By visit site (not verified)

I'm no expert, but I think you just made the best point.