Farewell ATWT: Soap Opera Names

In honor of the last episode of daytime soap opera As the World Turns, which aired its last new episode today after  almost 55 years on CBS, we're taking a look back at soap opera names.

In their heyday, soap operas introduced us to names like Schuyler, Colton, Kendall, Harley, Macy, Palmer, Chandler, Logan and Ridge.  In fact, the Young and the Restless is generally credited for the massive rise in the name Ashley in the 1980s.

As the World Turns was never famous for name trendsetting, with key characters with age-appropriate and pretty common names (think Nancy and Bob).  There were a few standouts in the character name department however.  Here are some of our favorites (all female character names):
Cricket
Connor
Sage
Vienna

But it's been a while since a soap opera name has really caught our eye.  Have soap writers become tamer namers? Or have we just become so immune to "unusual" soap-style names that we don't seem to notice them any more?

What do you think? And what are some of your favorite soap opera names, past or present?

--J.B.

Comments

September 17, 2010 7:52 PM

I think there was a character named Calliope once on a soap. I watch General Hospital which has the sibset Lucky and Lulu (nicknames for Lucas and Lesley Lu)
I believe the name Kayla was originally made up by a soap (but I could be wrong)...

September 17, 2010 10:35 PM

My mom watches General Hospital as well. I have noticed these names on characters lately, which I think are pretty trendy (and not appropriate for the age of the characters):
Dominic
Franco (I think there has been something on this blog about that name!)
Olivia
Sonny
Maxy

September 19, 2010 8:27 AM
By blakesnewface (not verified)

Both Kayla and Calliope were on Days of Our Lives. I always liked Jenna, Lorna, Marlena and Katarina. All Soap names. At least, that's where I got them.

September 21, 2010 8:42 PM
By cathy mac (not verified)

Australian Soapie Home and Away has Indy and Ruby (both popular atm) and the baby on Neighbours was named India. Why do i notice these? Because I named my daughter India a couple of years ago thinking it would be very unique and now it is on the two popular Aussie soapies! Suddenly there will be a lot of Indys!

September 21, 2010 9:15 PM
By enigma (not verified)

I watched tons of general hospital as a kid with my mom and fell in love with the name Helena as in Cassadine. I still love it but doubt I will use it.

September 22, 2010 11:16 AM

My Mother first heard my name (Tara) from a soap opera when she was much younger. My favorite soap opera name has to be Opal.. i don't even remember which Soap it was on, but my Mom used to watch it when i was little. Opal was a very eccentric old lady and to this day i still love the name.

September 23, 2010 7:58 AM
By A British Laura (not verified)

I think cathymac might find that Indy on Home and Away is actually Indigo not India. India has been popular in the UK for at least the past eight years.

There were a lot of Courtney's in the UK after one of the babies on EastEnders was called Courtney and it does seem to be the trend over here that if a baby's born in a soap there are a lot of babies given that name.

September 25, 2010 2:40 AM

There was someone named Calliope on a soap. I loved that name!

My sister named her daughter Tara after someone on a soap.