Gordon Gekko's Back, But What About Gordon?

Gordon Gekko, the antihero played by Michael Douglas in the 1987 film Wall Street is back in a timely sequel opening today (read the review at EW.com here).

So much has the name Gordon Gekko pervaded the popular consciousness that the name itself has come to be synonymous with the phrase "Greed is good" (as paraphrased from a key monologue in the movie).  Some good humored scientists in Indonesia even named a newly discovered species of gecko after the character -- the gordongekkoi.

But what of the name Gordon? It's never been extremely popular in the U.S., the way it was in Canada (Think of Canada's Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe and Candian folk singer Gordon Lightfoot, to name just two).  In the U.S., the name Gordon peaked in the 1930s at #74 and has been falling off ever since.  In fact, for the first time since the 1880s when the Social Security Adminisitration started tracking such things, the name Gordon has fallen out of the top-1000 entirely this year.

Gordon, which began life as a Scottish surname-turned-first name and ends in the uber-popular letter -n ("n" is the single most popular letter for boys' names to end in today), fits into some of today's hottest trends.  But whether it's the association with Goron Gekko or the double voiced consonants in the name's middle, Gordon feels more at home in the company of names like Sheldon and Herman rather than the more fashionable Mason and Hayden.

What do you think? Is Gordon gone for good?

--J.B.

Comments

September 24, 2010 1:41 PM
By Jennie

I just wanted to add some favorite Gordons:
Flash Gordon
Commissioner Gordon from Batman
Gordon the monster from Sesame Street

I think this is a fabulous name and that it deserves a comeback!

September 24, 2010 2:24 PM
By Caitlyn (not verified)

I've never liked Gordon - between the spanish word "gordo" and the gourd vegetable, it makes me think of fat. Possibly I need to read more comics :)

September 24, 2010 3:13 PM
By Lane

I like Gordon too. My cultural points of reference are Gordon Gano and Kim Gordon.

September 25, 2010 9:59 AM
By Sebalek (not verified)

I like Gordon, though it wouldn't work with my ln. However, it makes me think of Gordon Ramsey, the foul-mouthed restaurant owner and chef of Hell's Kitchen reality TV fame.

September 25, 2010 6:51 PM
By Elizabeth T. (not verified)

There's also a train on "Thomas the Tank Engine" named Gordon.

September 25, 2010 11:53 PM

And Sting was Gordon before he decided to change his name to a verb

September 26, 2010 9:55 PM
By A Rose (not verified)

I know a 13ish Gordon, a 50 ish Gordon and an 80 ish Gordon, but my main association is with Lizzie's friend Gordo from 'Lizzie McGuire.'

I really like it as a name though and haven't seen either 'Wall Street,' so that's not an association at all.

September 27, 2010 11:49 AM

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thought of Thomas the train's friend Gordon first... I did know a family with a small Gordon, he'd be three by now I think. His twin brother was Augustus, so it was Gordy and Gus.

September 28, 2010 12:43 PM
By Nicholas Hentschel (not verified)

When I was a kid, my Dad had a friend named Gordon that I really liked: he was a musician, and played pedal-steel.

I've always had a fondness for the name, naturally.

P.S. Don't forget "Gordy," from "Stand By Me."

September 28, 2010 2:04 PM
By DivaMomCarol (not verified)

Gordon is "very Brit" which says alot, in my opinion. It has been a family first name in my husband's matriarch line for years. He is a Gordon, too.....but don't call him "Gordie" if you want to be his friend!

P.S. Gordon was not a monster on Sesame Street, but a neighbor, I believe.

September 28, 2010 3:21 PM
By julie (not verified)

My parents' friend has a 13 year-old grandson named Gordon. He was named after his grandpa, but the name always seemed to fit in with all of the Jordans and Owens his age.

September 28, 2010 11:26 PM
By crescentstreet (not verified)

My father chose to rename himself Gordon, and that was in the early '30s. Both the names he chose sounded well with his last name. He actually did a better job of choosing than his parent had at his birth. Since they moved a lot during his childhood, and he had his parents consent, he got away with this. He made the change legal at the time of his marriage.

In the '80s I chose Gordon for my son, and it's worked well for him. People used to confuse his name with the more popular Jordan, but he likes it and likes having a decent sounding name that wasn't present in duplicates in class as he was growing up, like Tim or Matt.