Quarterback Drew Brees Welcomes Second Son

Quarterback Drew Brees Welcomes Second Son
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

It was only a few weeks ago that the New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees asked his Twitter followers for a very important favor: could they help him and his wife, Brittany, come up with an uncommon "B" name for their second son? Brees asked specifically for suggestions not found in baby name books. Ask and you shall receive: more than 6,000 fans responded and with the arrival of their new baby boy yesterday, Brees and his wife have settled on Bowen Christopher Brees.

Bowen joins big brother Baylen Robert. Baylen brings to mind Sir Balin le Savage, one of King Arthur's knights, who was also known as the Knight with Two Swords. Both Baylen and Bowen are old names with European roots that fit right in with the popular surnames as first names.

Baby "B" names seem to invite creativity. Melissa Joan Hart has a son named Braydon. Courtney Vance and Angela Bassett have a daughter named Bronwyn. Kate Hudson's brother Oliver named his son Bodhi. Amy Brenneman also has a boy named Bodhi. Ditto reality TV chef Tom Colicchio who named his son Luka Bodhi. The late Steve Irwin's daughter, a celebrity in her own right, is Bindi Sue. Nor should we forget Donald Trump's youngest, Barron William.

And just in case Brees ever needs a third uncommon baby boy "B" name, our new Name Matchmaker has already taken care of it. The results? Bevan, which rhymes with Kevin and like Bowen has roots as a Welsh surname.

What do you think of the name Bowen?

--V.L.

Comments

October 20, 2010 10:27 PM
By Tirzah (not verified)

I think Baylen and Bowen are too close. Baylen, Bowen and Bevan would be a tongue-twisting disaster! How about Birch or Baxter? At least they have different endings.

October 24, 2010 8:19 AM
By elleireland (not verified)

Baylen and Bowen are entirely too similar, and they both sound made-up to me. Also, they have too much alliteration with "Brees."

I would have loved for them to branch out: Malachi, or Ezra, or Lachlan. Bowen sounds girly.

The names they have will make everybody pause to sort them out before calling the boys.

But I am a big fan of Brees.

October 30, 2010 10:23 PM
By Essy (not verified)

I really like Bowen for a boy nn could be Bo - don't really like Baylen, although really do like Balin (which I pronounce like Bah-lyn) the 'Bay' just makes it sound girly to me. Bevan has the same effect as Tevan (from 'I Love You Man') perfect for the office jerk/bully.

- other Knights of the Round Table 'B's: Bors, Bedivere, Bagdemagus

this overt attempt at 'originality' is a little unsightly to me. Although I think a few interesting ones could have been Bauer (or Bower), Baldwin, Buckley, Bender, Beckley, Bowler, Becker, Becket, Barker, Booth (dare I say Bones?), Barnes, Byrne/Burne/Burnes, Barclay

Paris Hilton also has a brother named Barron

oh and at least it wasn't Breeze Brees

November 1, 2010 7:21 PM

I think of baleen, the stuff whales use to eat.

June 22, 2011 12:46 PM
By Bevan (not verified)

Wow. He missed out on having the best name ever (Bevan).

On the brightside, my name is still original.

June 22, 2011 12:51 PM
By Bevan (not verified)

Essy, this is my problem with your suggestions:

Bauer - Eddie?
(or Bower)- or Bowser form Mario?, Baldwin - 30 rock?
, Buckley - like a belt?
, Bender - alcoholic robot?
, Beckley - the adverb of i'm a loser baby?
, Bowler - Or kegler(german for bowler)?
, Becker - CPA exam passing software?
, Becket - Jane Austin again?
, Barker - The price is wrong.
, Booth - Assasin
(dare I say Bones?) - You dare?
, Barnes - And nobles?
, Byrne/Burne/Burnes - Power plant?
, Barclay - liquor?

September 3, 2014 5:59 AM
By url (not verified)

I wanted it to look like and he made it a reality.