A Celebrity Baby Name That Name Enthusiasts Can Love?

A Celebrity Baby Name That Name Enthusiasts Can Love?
Photo Credit: Mario Magnani/BAUER-GRIFFIN

We Name Enthusiasts gripe a lot about celebrity baby names that are "NMS," too outrageous or too boring. Is it possible that a celebrity baby name has finally arrived that Name Enthusiasts will love?

We think so.

Jessica Capshaw, daughter of Kate Capshaw and stepdaughter of Steven Spielberg, who is a popular actress in her own right (she plays Dr. Arizona Robbins on Grey's Anatomy), gave birth to a second child on October 20. The baby girl, who joins older brother Luke, age 3, is named Eve Augusta Gavigan. (Dad is Christopher Gavigan, CEO of Healthy Child, Healthy World).

Eve, biblical name of the first woman, with a meaning derived from the Hebrew for "life", has enjoyed a rather consistent presence on the popularity charts in the U.S., but has never broken the top-500, making it one of those rare names that sounds familiar without feeling overused.

Augusta, a relatively popular name in the 19th century, has mostly fallen into obscurity.  It's at once an Old Lady name, a place name, and a stylistic counterpart to today's popular girl's names ending in -a (think, Isabella, Olivia, Sophia, Aviana) that sounds more substantial than "frilliana."

Do agree with us that Eve Augusta is a nearly perfect celebrity baby name?

--J.B.

Comments

October 30, 2010 12:15 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

That's a definite NO from me, but alas is just one opinion. They are entitled to name their baby whatever they like but it is still NMS.

October 30, 2010 12:59 PM

Not awful, but there's a lot of up and down to it/it sort of runs all together:

Eev-a-gus-ta-gav-i-gan

... though that's a normal-people name problem rather than a celebrity-name problem)

October 30, 2010 1:31 PM
By Lane

I do think it's pretty great. Augusta feels like a name whose time has come, but it needs a cute nickname. Hattie has come back, but will people take to Gussie? Gus maybe.

Eve is a little crisper, so it's a nice counterpart.

October 30, 2010 1:50 PM
By Jane (not verified)

October 30, 2010 1:51 PM

What is "NMS". I do like the name though. Eve is one of the names we are considering if we have a girl. :)

October 30, 2010 3:09 PM

I knew a girl named Augusta who went by Gusty.

October 30, 2010 4:17 PM
By Jennie

Gusty is cute, but surprising!
NMS = Not My Style

October 30, 2010 5:35 PM
By A Rose (not verified)

I really like Eve Augusta (although I like Eva more than Eve, it doesn't work with Augusta.)

I know an Avgusta (pronounced av-gus-ta) and she only ever goes by that. I kind of like it though.

October 30, 2010 9:52 PM
By Essy (not verified)

i like it but i agree it doesn't have a nice flow to it that we normally expect a little girl's name to have particularly, but still a very pretty name

Luke and Eve, very biblical

October 31, 2010 6:42 AM

NMS. I've always liked Eve, but I can't get past the Dragon Old Lady image Augusta evokes for me.

October 31, 2010 8:17 AM
By Burriol (not verified)

I love Eve and I love Augusta. Personally, I wouldn't choose to put the names together, but I still like how the combo sounds.

October 31, 2010 7:57 PM
By Mara (not verified)

I love the combination. As a Maine native living elsewhere, I have thought about using it as a middle name if I ever have a child/girl.

October 31, 2010 9:08 PM
By Mary (not verified)

I love it. When i first read about it, I thought it was beautiful. Great choice.

November 1, 2010 2:22 PM
By Jenny (not verified)

Since we just names mour baby Eve 2 months ago, I personally love it. Our baby is Eve Josephine born in August.

November 1, 2010 2:23 PM
By Jenny (not verified)

Sorry for the above typos.

November 1, 2010 6:55 PM
By Jennie

Jenny, I think Eve Josephine is a PERFECT name. I LOVE it.

November 2, 2010 1:02 PM
By Katya (not verified)

I do really like it, but agree it blends a bit into Eva Gusta.

Jenny, I have a 5-yr-old Eva Josephine (and, appropriate to this discussion, her sister would have been August if a boy). Isn't it funny how styles run in the collective subconscious?

November 2, 2010 1:10 PM

A resounding NO from me too!

November 2, 2010 1:12 PM

A resounding 'NO' from me, please.

November 2, 2010 5:41 PM
By A British Laura (not verified)

I like it and I don't think it does all run together, but maybe that's more to do with how it would be pronounced in England.

Luke and Eve is a very cute sib set.

November 2, 2010 8:59 PM
By The Foxymoron (not verified)

Eve, Evie and Eva are all top 100 names in the UK. Evie is number 10!!!Personally I prefer Eve to the other 2. I can't believe it has never broken into the top 500 in the US!
Eve Augusta is very stylish in my opinion. Nice work, parents!

November 2, 2010 11:56 PM
By Jess not Jessie (not verified)

LOVE the name Eve. If my son had been a girl, he would have been Evangeline, Eve for short. It's short, simple, and also has the meaning of "evening," a time of day I associate with relaxing.

November 19, 2010 3:32 PM
By The Name Gnome (not verified)

I like Eva better than Eve but the names are nice and they go well together.
Augusta is a strong name, ancient and beautiful and so is Eve. Beautiful.

December 22, 2013 2:32 AM
By asdfasdfas (not verified)

You find many free chicken coop plans online to download in blueprint for free. You can take the downloaded plan and take it your known architect who helps you with the design by giving good ideas to get materials