Nina Garcia Keeps It All In The Family With New Baby's Name

Nina Garcia Keeps It All In The Family With New Baby's Name
Fame Pictures

Fashion maven and mom Nina Garcia, the Project Runway judge who also presides over Marie Claire as fashion director, has given birth to her second son. Alexander David joins big brother Lucas Alexander and proud papa, David Conrod.

The name Alexander has Greek origins and means "protector of mankind." It's a strong name made famous by Alexander the Great and has long proven popular. It's obviously a particular favorite in the Conrod household; it's not often that an older child's middle name becomes his younger sibling's first name. As for baby Alexander's own middle name, inspiration comes, undoubtedly, from dad David. Hence, he's named for both his brother and his father.

Perhaps, in the three years since the birth of their first son Lucas, Garcia and Conrod realized just how much they loved their son's middle name and wanted to give it top billing the second time around. Or, maybe the name Alexander has been in the family for generations. Whatever the case, it's certainly a family name now.

What do you think of Garcia's choice? Would you give your child's middle name to his younger sibling?

-- V.L.

Comments

November 30, 2010 12:52 PM
By Angela (not verified)

I once met a set of brothers named Michael Steven and Steven Michael. Those were the only two male names the parents could agree on the first time around, so they decided to just use them again on the second son, in opposite order.

November 30, 2010 3:37 PM
By Tiana (not verified)

I think it's horrible. That poor kid couldn't even be given his own name! Here the 1st son gets a name that is completely his own & then when the 2nd one comes along, they can't even manage to come up with 1 name that hasn't already been used? I kind of feel like the parents couldn't be bothered to find a name that was suitable for a second boy. I feel sorry for little Alexander if he ever realizes the common names. It might not bother him, but I know it would bother me & it would bother some kids, so the chance is there.

I feel like if a parent is going to use a family name, then the other name should always be original. That way the child has something that is all their own & is a part of them and their personality, not someone else's. This poor kid will always just be the shadow of his big brother & his father.

November 30, 2010 3:54 PM
By Scarlettb (not verified)

All of my paternal grandparents' sons have the middle names of either Thomas or Francis, after my granddad, who was, you guessed it - Thomas Francis.

This holds true even for my uncles Tommy and Frank. (Yes, they're Thomas Francis, Jr. and Francis Thomas)

(My dad is Stephen Francis.)

December 1, 2010 6:54 PM
By Tiyana (not verified)

I think that is a great idea and a nice way to honor big brother, but I do see a problem if they decide to expand their family. I think the other brothers would feel left out in a sense! Other than that great idea!!!!

December 1, 2010 6:56 PM
By Tiyana (not verified)

I feel that is a great way to honor big bro, but if they feel the need to expand their family the other bros would feel left out! Other than that, it's a great idea

July 16, 2014 4:13 PM
By jackdon (not verified)

This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it Opzioni digitali

September 3, 2014 6:06 AM
By visit site (not verified)

I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles.

September 10, 2014 10:38 AM
By jackdon (not verified)

It seems that many company and personal marketing emails are going on digitally these days. It is often much easier to write a quick email or send a brief written text than to get in touch with someone on the cellphone. buy fast youtube views

September 25, 2014 6:14 AM

"I consider this more like a chance for these songs to be secret messages from the past." http://ontimevids.com/movies/Bang-Bang-208

October 17, 2016 10:30 AM

Who doesn't love Amazon? With a huge range of products at low prices use an Amazon promotional code when you shop to make an even bigger saving.