Nick Cannon Talks Baby Names with Rachael Ray

Nick Cannon Talks Baby Names with Rachael Ray
Fame Pictures

We still don't know if Mariah Carey and husband Nick Cannon are expecting one bundle of joy or two, but we do know they've already settled on a name(s). When Cannon was a guest on the The Rachael Ray Show last week, Ray asked him if he and Carey have been fighting over baby names. (We wonder if she read our recent post about couples who disagree!)

According to Cannon, he and Carey started discussing baby names very early in their relationship and readily agreed. He also volunteered that they are sticking to their choice (so far) and have no plans to share their decision, because they don't want other people's input. Ray suggested that revealing your baby's name before birth is bad luck. But Cannon seemed more concerned about the possibility that he and Carey might change their minds at the last minute and choose a totally different name like Cleophis.

He was kidding... at least, we're pretty sure he was kidding.

We highly doubt there's a little Cleophis Carey-Cannon on the way, but Cannon wasn't all jokes on the show. Lots of couples choose to keep their baby's name underwraps until it's on the birth certificate. And we know quite a few couples who have had a sudden change of heart in the delivery room... What was supposed to be a little Mia comes out of the hospital a baby Claire.

Do you agree with Ray that sharing your baby's name before she's born is bad luck? Did you keep your pick a secret? Share it with only close friends and family? Or tell everyone from your boss to your hairdresser? And what about the last-minute switch? Did you change your mind in the hospital?

--V.L.

Comments

December 13, 2010 7:56 PM
By Allison (not verified)

Everyone knew our chosen names, but the baby's gender was a secret until she was born. We didn't even know. So even though everyone knew the names we had chosen, nobody knew which it would be until we announced boy or girl!

December 13, 2010 8:49 PM
By K Mom (not verified)

We always keep the name pick a secret. I want an out if we change our mind. I definitely don't want other's input. It was hard enough for the two of us to decide on a name! For our youngest we didn't decide. We had a top 3 list. My hubby said it was up to me after he was born. In the moment, I just went with what felt right. I liked that a lot and will probably do something similar next time.

December 14, 2010 1:10 PM

We kept them a secret. Both b/c I think it's tempting fate to talk about a baby before it actually arrives and b/c we felt like people (by which I mean family) will love the baby no matter the name, but might not love the name in the abstract. And, I've never been one to seek input from others when making any major life decision...I certainly wasn't going to name my babies via public opinion survey.

December 14, 2010 1:15 PM

We stopped telling the chosen names after Baby #1 when my grandmother told us that we had chosen a "stupid name". She had, of course, wanted a namesake for herself or my grandfather, and, when that didn't happen, she was more than a little peeved. Her name is Hilda, and I never knew my grandfather (he died when my mom was little) so I did not feel like there would be a suitable way to make that work. This time, my father-in-law has hinted more than once that he is expecting a namesake. He has never been a part of my kids' lives, so, again, I find it a little intrusive for him to step in with input now.

December 14, 2010 1:58 PM
By shadelit (not verified)

We knew what the middle names would be, all along: my grandmother's classic old-fashioned name if it was a girl, my husband's unusual middle name for a boy. We found out it was a boy. When he was born, we had a list of five names we had both liked enough to agree on, and we waited to meet him and gauge his personality. About four or five hours after he was born we turned to each other and both agreed that only one name fit him well, and the next day he was officially named. I guess it made it a lot easier that we agreed so easily, or it might have taken a little bit longer.

December 14, 2010 9:11 PM

It can be problematic to share the name choice(s) beforehand. You can get so much input that it starts to confuse you and cloud your own judgment. If people hate your choice(s), you're tempted to be swayed to follow others' opinions, when really you should follow only your own heart(s). On the other hand, if you're undecided and want to gauge the climate, sharing several choices can give you valuable information to help you narrow down your list.