You Oughta Know the Name of Alanis Morissette's Baby

You Oughta Know the Name of Alanis Morissette's Baby
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

There have been a number of holiday babies this year, but Alanis Morissette and husband Mario 'MC Souleye' Treadway take the prize: they welcomed their baby boy, Ever Imre Morissette-Treadway, on Christmas Day.

We more typically think of Ever as a girl's name. In the South, the name Eva (pronounced "Ehvah") is sometimes spelled as Ever. In 2009 actor Cam Joslin Gigandet named his daughter Everleigh Rae. Actor Robert Carradine's daughter is actress Ever Carradine, and Ukrainian-American model and actress Milla Jovovich has a daughter named Ever Gabo. However, when Ever Gabo was born, Jovovich wrote on her blog that she and Scottish filmmaker Paul W.S. Anderson chose Ever because it is a Scottish boy's name. Ever is also related to the Spanish boy's name, Eber, which is pronounced Ever and can be spelled with either a "b" or a "v."

Ever's middle name, Imre, is Hungarian and may come from the Old German Emeric, which means "home ruler." It's also a variation of Aimery, which comes from the Old German for "king of work." Imre is pronounced Eem-ray; the "eem" rhymes with dim. Morissette's mother is Hungarian and was born in Hungary.

We never would have thought of pairing Ever and Imre, but we think the two names have a nice ring when said together. And when Morissette appeared on Star Search as a teenager, she used the stage name Alanis Nadine, her first and middle names. Fifteen years from now we might be buying little Ever Imre's first single!

What do you think of the name Ever for a boy? Do you like Imre?

--V.L.

Comments

December 27, 2010 3:15 PM
By kiki (not verified)

How is Imre pronounced?

December 27, 2010 5:13 PM
By Lane

Oh wow! Ever! I'm surprised, since my only association to date is Ever Gabo.

I think it's pretty cute for a boy, too.

December 27, 2010 7:10 PM
By Victoria

Imre is pronounced Eem-ray; the "eem" rhymes with dim.

December 27, 2010 11:53 PM
By A (not verified)

So you mean it's pronounced Im-ray, not Eem-ray? Because "eem" doesn't rhyme with dim.

December 28, 2010 1:34 AM

I never heard Ever as a name before so don't associate it as female name. Sounds fine for a boy, and I think I like it a bit more as boy's name.

December 28, 2010 7:51 AM

I second A's comment.

December 29, 2010 10:48 PM
By Juli (not verified)

It's EEM-reh, with EE like in 'me' but short in duration like 'dim', and eh like in 'met' or 'bell'. The second syllable is emphatically not like 'ray'. That'd be spelled differently.

I have some unpleasant associations with "Imre": the people I know by this name range from dorks to a**holes. However, it has a long history in my husband's family, so if we ever have a son, it'll be his middle name. Our surname is long and difficult for English-speakers, so I don't plan to saddle a child with such an equally-unpronouncable given name.

January 4, 2011 4:54 PM

We considered Ever for our son's name. Ultimately decided it just wasn't enough name for our son, but I still think it's a great boy's name! I prefer it for a boy over a girl. Another interesting name is Everest, of which Ever could be a nickname.