Jason Schwartzman's Daughter: Marlowe Rivers Schwartzman

Jason Schwartzman's Daughter: Marlowe Rivers Schwartzman
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Don't close the book on celebrity names of 2010 just yet. Jason Schwartzman shared his new baby's name (she was born December 4) with People.com: Marlowe Rivers Schwartzman.

Like mother, like daughter: mom Brady Cunningham also has a rather androgynous handle. (Read about another Brady in the news this week.)

Marlowe has the hot sound of Nicole Richie's 2008 hit choice Harlow, but the final "e" tips the name definitively into the celebrity surname category. Philip Marlowe, for instance, is Raymond Chandler's fictional detective, as portrayed in such films as The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye. (In fact, the latest actor to play the role of Philip Marlowe, or at least "the Philip Marlowe of Brooklyn," is none other than Marlowe's daddy, Jason Schwartzman, in his HBO show Bored to Death.)

The middle name Rivers, too, feels like an homage, to Rivers Cuomo of Weezer. While River has gained notice as a girl's name, Rivers feels more masculine.

Baby Schwartzman isn't the first celebrity baby named Marlowe; Thorsten Kaye and Susan Haskell also have a baby Marlowe. There were 86 baby girs named Marlowe born in the US last year (as well as several Marlos and Marlows).  We expect Marlowe and variants to rise, along with Harlow and Arlo.

What do you think of the name Marlowe Rivers?

--L.R.

Comments

January 3, 2011 11:39 PM
By Carol O. (not verified)

Marlowe Rivers is a nice enough name. I will always think of Marlo Thomas with Marlowe so I think it is a nice feminine name for a girl. Rivers is not very feminine but as a middle name could easily be assumed to be a family sir name and as such, fitting.

January 4, 2011 12:47 PM

Sounds far too masculine for a girl. But then again, I can only think of Marlow from the Wire when I hear the name.

January 4, 2011 2:20 PM
By justjoslyn (not verified)

Mommy blogger Heather Armstrong of www.dooce.com also has a daughter named, "Marlo."

January 4, 2011 4:30 PM
By Mom (not verified)

I Like this spelling of "Marlo" better.

January 4, 2011 5:40 PM
By Jiminy (not verified)

I have a male cousin named Marlow, so to me Marlowe/Marlow feel very male. Marlo feels like it might be female, but I'd guess it was nickname for something like Mary Louise.

January 5, 2011 1:18 PM

the name Marlow immediately brings to mind Joseph Conrad for me.

but i also met a bartender once named and she said it was her mother's maiden name.

the 'low' ending feels weird to my tongue but it's a lovely name. interesting they didn't even touch on Schwartzman's Italian heritage.

January 6, 2011 2:07 AM

My maiden name is Lowe so I considered Marlowe (and Willow) for that reason. I thought first of Christopher Marlowe.

January 6, 2011 4:48 PM
By Geoff Coffey (not verified)

My daughter Marlowe was born in 2007.

January 9, 2011 6:13 PM
By Vi (not verified)

Christopher Marlowe! Love that dude!

January 14, 2011 9:10 PM
By Monika (not verified)

Had a baby girl in July and named her Marlo. Great name:)

January 14, 2011 9:11 PM
By Monika (not verified)

Had a baby girl in July. We named her Marlo Maria:)

February 24, 2012 5:47 AM

I have a son named Marlowe who is 8. we thought it was a name well suited through his whole life. Love it.

March 31, 2013 1:26 AM
By Hoyt Mauter (not verified)

Nice to find some good content for once, I am getting tired of the continual drivel I find daily, you deserve thanks for putting out readable and informative data.

September 3, 2014 6:10 AM
By source (not verified)

You obviously know a lot about what you're talking about, and I can really get behind that. Thanks for being so upfront and so honest about the subject matter.