Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr Struggling to Name Their Baby

Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr Struggling to Name Their Baby
ANG/Fame Pictures

Last week, we announced that Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom had welcomed their first child but that his name had not been released. Turns out the reason we don't know Baby Bloom's name yet is because he doesn't have one. Apparently, mom and dad are having a hard time picking a name.

According to Bloom's mom, the couple has a list of names but can't quite pick one for their baby boy. If Kerr isn't inspired by her fellow Victoria's Secret Angels and the names they've given their babies, perhaps she and Bloom will find inspiration closer to home.

Kerr is a practicing Buddhist, and she grew up in Australia racing motorbikes. Bloom, on the other hand, hails from prim and proper Britain and was raised in the Church of England. However, despite their different backgrounds, we think they might both be drawn to a name like Lachlan, which is hugely popular in Australia and compliments dad's first name, Orlando. Neither name is especially popular in the U.S., but both sound strong and masculine -- a good thing since, reportedly, Baby Bloom weighed in at 10 lbs when he was born last week.

Or, if their families are any indication, perhaps they'll go for something a bit more traditional. Kerr has a brother Matthew and a dad named John while Orlando has a sister named Samantha and a grandfather named Francis John. Maybe they'll pick a family name or something like Lucas, which is familiar and popular in the U.S., Australia and England. It also comes from the Latin for light, which might appeal to Buddhist Kerr's spiritual side.

Kerr's Buddhism could even inspire a Buddhist name like Bodhi, which means enlightenment and would speak to his parent's international backgrounds and beliefs.

What do you think Kerr and Orlando will name their son? Did you have a hard deciding on a baby name? Would you ever leave the hospital without naming your baby?

--V.L.

Comments

January 12, 2011 7:05 PM
By Dawn Star (not verified)

It took us about a week to finalize my second child's name. That was okay, though, since he was born at home and nobody minded waiting to fill out the paperwork.

January 13, 2011 9:22 AM
By Lane

I like the idea of Bodhi for them. But Bodhi Bloom? Even better: Bodhi Kerr-Bloom.

By the way, it's Orlando Bloom's birthday! He has one of the most satisfying celebrity names, IMO.

How about a Shakespeare name to continue the parental name theme? Titus Kerr Bloom? Or Camillo?

January 13, 2011 9:52 AM
By Victoria

I always assumed it was a Shakespeare connection, too, but, according to Wikipedia, Bloom is actually named after the 16th century composer Orlando Gibbons.

January 13, 2011 10:47 PM
By Jade (not verified)

Our fourth was born at home and didn't have a name for 11 days.
You have to file your own paper work here within 30 days so it doesn't matter if you leave the hospital without a name or not.
I do know a couple, family members actually, who took over a month to name both of their two last children.

January 16, 2011 7:59 PM
By yvette (not verified)

I don't think they'll choose Lachlan. It's way to common in Australia. And as far as Bodhi, I hope they do better!

January 17, 2011 2:50 PM
By elleireland (not verified)

I love the name Lachlan, but it's probably too popular for them. Maybe they should find something from JRR Tolkien. He was a word and name genius.

January 18, 2011 10:08 PM
By MADMUD (not verified)

They actually are both buddhist. Orlando is a member of Soka Gakkai a Japanese branch. I'm not sure what she practices.

I love some of the Aussi variations on names I've seen for girls. Not familliar enough with the boy names though to give an opinion on that!

January 18, 2011 11:15 PM
By Acolorfulworld (not verified)

I had no trouble picking our children's names, but did leave the hospital without registering their names. I grew up in the US, but had our 3 daughters in Ontario, Canada. So when I was at the hospital and they were discharging me & nobody had come to do any of the birth certificate paperwork I was a little perplexed. I asked a nurse and it turns out you don't do the paper work in the hospital in Canada. You actually go online after you are home and register the babies info. The hospital also turns in a report with the mom's name and info about babies birth weight, height, & time of birth. So the birth certificate people just make sure both of you match up and then send you your birth certificate. I think you have up to 1 year to register. I'm not sure since we did it within the first week. So technically I did leave the hospital without naming all of my children.

January 19, 2011 1:23 AM
By Karma (not verified)

My youngest brother was home for almost a month before our parents agreed on his name. Dad wanted "Gerry" (after Gerry & The Pacemakers) and Mum wanted "Wayne" (after her Dad). They finally agreed on "Phillip" after the Queen's husband, but Dad insisted on the extra "L". *shrug* It didn't seem to worry anyone too much that he didn't have a name to start with, and he spent his entire first month being called "Moonface" because his head was so round! XD

March 31, 2013 1:24 AM
By Liberty Romanelli (not verified)

Your posting happens to be very good and I like it. It is actually tough to sort the good from the bad frequently, although I realize that you've nailed it. You author extremely well, and it's wonderful.

August 6, 2013 7:26 AM
By Forklift Training (not verified)

I really like your blog. Always been very informational. It's rare to see a nice blog like this one today.I hope you’ll keep up the good work and maintain the standard.

August 6, 2013 7:27 AM
By CPC Training Kent (not verified)

I agree with the above person. this is a nice looking blog which I will come back to.

August 28, 2013 2:41 AM
By Single Trip travel Insurance (not verified)

Think a lots of boys will be called George this year

May 22, 2014 1:14 AM
By Selective Media Recovery (not verified)

Good i am pleasant to give you advice and i like your sereneness with your baby.

June 5, 2014 10:16 AM
By jackdon (not verified)

What a blog post!! Very informative and also easy to understand. Looking for more such comments!! Do you have a facebook? I recommended it on digg. The only thing that it’s missing is a bit of new design. binäre optionen broker vergleich

July 26, 2014 12:53 AM
By Wedding Planner Guide (not verified)

Thank you for fantastic information I used to be searching for this info for my mission.

September 3, 2014 6:07 AM
By visit site (not verified)

Thanks very much for this great article;this is the stuff that keeps me going through out these day.

December 18, 2014 3:28 AM
By Passbeemedia Apple Ibeacon (not verified)

I agree the above person. I wish you all the best