Owen Wilson's Baby Name

Owen Wilson's Baby Name
Photo Credit: ANG/Fame Pictures

Just days ago, we learned that actor Owen Wilson was expecting his first child.  According to a report in Star, Owen's girlfriend Jade Duell gave birth to the couple's baby boy in Hawaii yesterday.  The new baby's name is Ford Linton Wilson.

We're guessing people will look at this as an unsurprising choice for a comic actor with a quirky reputation. Ford Motors is probably the first association most Americans have with the name Ford. And for aficionados of comic films, the first association with name Ford might be the 1990 flop The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.

In fact, the name Ford enjoyed modest popularity a first name in the U.S. right up until the 1920s, by which time Ford Motors was turning out around 2 million Model T's per year.

To parents who aren't actually driving a Ford today (we're just guessing Owen Wilson's not tooling around Maui in a Taurus), the name Ford might evoke a sense of history and Americana, not exactly a cowboy name, but perhaps an industrial cowboy name.

Add associations like the rugged Harrison Ford, the erudite Ford Madox Ford, and the sports legend Ford Frick, and you can start to see the appeal of a name like Ford in lieu of say the more popular Logan, Colt or Walker.

Like Ford, the name Linton has a history has both a surname and a given name (think Wuthering Heights). According to HollyBaby.com, Linton is Jade's dad's name.

So what do you think?  Is Owen Wilson's baby name a quirky choice or a trendsetting one?

--J.B.

Comments

January 15, 2011 10:57 PM

and, you know, President Gerald Ford.

January 15, 2011 11:04 PM
By smismar (not verified)

I think of Ford Prefect. From Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. A complete joke. NMS, at all.

January 15, 2011 11:12 PM
By Jennie

I think those two associations sort of go with the Ford Taurus side of the name!

January 16, 2011 12:16 AM

I think it's a trendsetting name. Surname plus some popularity as an Irish name is a pretty good combination. I actually knew a Ford. Not a bad name once you get past the car jokes.

January 16, 2011 9:20 AM

President Ford was the first to come to my mind, too. Surprised there is no reference to him in the article with the popularity of presidential names. Madison, Jackson, Lincoln, etc.

January 16, 2011 9:41 AM

Another reader here who is very surprised that there was no mention of President Ford. Someone didn't do their homework.

January 16, 2011 9:49 AM
By Lane

@smismar, that's my first reference too! To support the Taurus connotation, I'm pretty sure that Ford Prefect's name was chosen because this alien visiting Earth for the first time made a "miscalculation" about the planet's dominant species.

January 16, 2011 1:34 PM
By another anon (not verified)

It sounds like they could be HGTTG fans. The car co. makes the name familiar, but it fits in with the use of surnames as first names.

January 16, 2011 4:11 PM

There's also John Ford, the very famous film director who won oscars in 1935, 1940, 1941, and 1952. It's a Holywood legacy name.

January 17, 2011 5:30 AM
By Baby Names (not verified)

Awesome collection, some of them websites are totally new to me. thanks for sharing

January 17, 2011 1:09 PM
By Allison (not verified)

The first name Ford has been in my husband's family for generations, so to me it's a common and well-used name.

I like it, and I like it paired with Linton. It's unique without being over the top.

January 18, 2011 1:48 PM
By Pamela S (not verified)

I know a Ford, a 19 year old triplet. For him it's a nickname though, a shortened version of a family name, Stafford or Spafford, something like that. So... it could be used as a nickname for Clifford, Wilford or Buford too, if one were so inclined.

January 18, 2011 8:07 PM
By Michelle (not verified)

You know, I love Ford and I love Linton but they just don't seem to go together. I'm glad that someone can see past the car for the good old fashioned name that it is.

January 20, 2011 3:37 AM
By Elizabeth (not verified)

I'm sorry, but I did a double take as soon as I read the full name for the first time. Ford Lincoln Mercury simply jumped off the screen! New car shopping anyone? I don't have a problem with either name, but he sounds like a car dealership when they are said in that order. Linton Ford Wilson sounds fine, and doesn't make you want to mute the commercial.

October 19, 2012 2:37 AM
By birkin bag (not verified)

Good job. Good sharing of this nice post. Your blog always contains lot of helpful information. Thanks for sharing.