Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom Have Chosen: Flynn Bloom

Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom Have Chosen: Flynn Bloom
Courtesy Kora Organics

Flynn Bloom.

That's the name Miranda Kerr unveiled on her site an hour ago. (People.com has details.) Namewatchers have been on pins and needles since news leaked last week that supermodel Miranda Kerr had welcomed her first child with actor Orlando Bloom... especially when reports surfaced that the pair were "struggling" with names. We speculated that any name the pair chose would have to balance Orlando's posh British upbringing with Miranda's free-spirit/daredevil Australian vibe. So how did they do?

Flynn is an Irish surname meaning "red-haired." Like Marlowe -- Jason Schwartzman's recent choice -- this surname has old Hollywood flair, calling to mind as it does the swashbuckling Errol Flynn. (Middle name: Leslie.)  The name also spoke to Gary Oldman, who bestowed it as a middle name on his son, Gulliver Flynn Oldman.

But Flynn has something else going for it. It shares a hot sound with names like Finn and Quinn, but the "l" and the "y" give the name a twist. Name critics have largely approved Vera Farmiga's version of Finn: Fynn.  We think Flynn does Fynn one better, injecting handsome, boyish Finn with some of Fletcher's sly quirk.

What do you think of Flynn?

--L.R.

Comments

January 18, 2011 8:02 PM

Like! It's a nice alternative to Finn.

January 18, 2011 8:10 PM
By Michelle (not verified)

For all the time it took them to release the name, I was expecting something better than Flynn.

It's nice enough and not terrible by any means, yet it clashes horribly with Bloom. Both are very brusque sounding, and the repeating l sounds do not help.

I thought Kerr Bloom would've been nice, yet it's something a lot of parents wouldn't do. I was just expecting something more unique than Flynn, which seems to be trendy to the point of no longer being interesting. Yet, to each their own and I wish all the best to them.

January 18, 2011 8:18 PM
By Natalie (not verified)

I don't like it. Flynn is fine alone, but with Bloom... it's just hard to say. Flynn Bloom. It sounds almost onomatopoetic, like when a bomb explodes. FLYNNBLOOM!!!

January 18, 2011 8:29 PM

Flynn is also the name of Rapunzel's love interest in the movie "Tangled" that's playing right now.

January 18, 2011 8:33 PM
By Nicole Bieber (not verified)

Kerr Bloom, really? Kerbloom! Sounds like something exploding, lol.

...oh man, Natalie had the same thought about Flynn Bloom - I swear I came up with this without reading her post first.

January 18, 2011 8:34 PM
By Lane

@anon Thanks for the tip!

Wow, the prince in Tangled is name is Flynn Rider? Why do I feel like I just figured out Kate Hudson's next baby name?

I predict another celeb chooses Flynn in 2011. Side question: will anyone choose Rapunzel for a human baby?

January 18, 2011 9:04 PM
By shadelit (not verified)

I like the name Flynn, but discarded it as a viable choice for my own son because I felt it would rapidly become too popular. If they were searching for something simulataneously posh and rakish, Flynn is a pretty good choice--however, I agree that it just doesn't sit very well with the surname Bloom. It sounds more like a type of flower than a human boychild, for one, and I've just never been a fan of two single-syllable names. I would have gone with something multisyllabic.

January 19, 2011 2:19 AM

Flynn is a reasonably common Australian name. It has a dashing, devil-may-care kind of vibe and the saying 'in like flynn' is very common here. A good name that betrays her Aussie roots. PS - I don't think they could do anything to help the 'Bloom' and since Kerr (cur) is hardly great either they were probably damned if they do, damned if they don't.

January 19, 2011 2:21 PM

I like it, of course if you rush two names together they sound odd but if you say Flynn pause slightly Bloom, it sounds find to me. Flynn is an awesome name, and I definitely like Flynn better than Flinn just as I like Finn way better than Fynn. I like it, it works, good on 'em for picking a good name for their baby.

first thing I thought of was Flynn from Tangled.

January 19, 2011 7:04 PM
By The Foxymoron (not verified)

All I can think is, "In Bloom"! I like Flynn, but I'm kind of over it, since Finn and Flynn were trendy and popular here in New Zealand about 10 years ago. Nice enough, but nothing very interesting about this celeb baby name. Still, I prefer it to some esoteric appellation. Congrats to the gorgeous couple :)

January 19, 2011 9:22 PM

I like the name Flynn, but "Flynn Bloom" does kind of slur together. He needs a middle name to make it flow better.