More Baby Name Drama Surrounding Owen Wilson's Son

Owen Wilson's son is still teeny tiny and yet already he's caused so much drama! First we wrote about the news that Wilson was a dad and the reports that he and girlfriend Jade had named their baby Ford Linton Wilson. Then, we responded to readers who were dismayed that we hadn't mentioned the connection to President Gerald Ford in our original column. And now, well, we've learned that Wilson didn't actually name his son Ford.

At least not his first name, anyway. People.com is reporting that the baby's real name is Robert Ford Wilson. As the article points out, Robert Newton Ford was the outlaw responsible for killing Jesse James in 1882. What the article doesn't mention, however, is that Robert is the name of Owen Wilson's father, Robert Andrew Wilson. Wilson has an older brother named Andrew, and, clearly, the Wilsons like to keep their names all in the family.

And while Robert isn't as presidential as Ford, baby Wilson does share a first name with politicians Robert "Bob" Dole and Robert "Bobby" Kennedy. It's also a surprisingly popular choice among celebrities. Ray Charles, Jim Belushi, Steve Irwin, Stanley Tucci, and Kid Rock all have children named Robert.

But are we the only ones who hear Robert Ford and immediately think of Robert Redford? What do you think of Wilson's real name choice for his new baby?

--V.L.

Comments

January 19, 2011 2:31 PM
By Allison (not verified)

Ford is a great name - as I commented before. And Robert - well, it's Robert. It's no fuss, no frills, it's every day and it's miles and miles better than names like Pilot Inspektor.

Thumbs up for Robert Ford (and yes, I did think Robert Redford, too).

January 25, 2011 1:07 PM
By flaca (not verified)

i like the name - classic, continental & simple. who doesn't like the idea of a blonde toddler nn'd, "bobby." cute! it sounds the like it came from a Ralph Lauren ad. its so simple its refreshing - perhaps will see an end to trendy made up names! good for them!

January 25, 2011 5:13 PM
By shadelit (not verified)

Ford Linton Wilson is better than Robert Ford Wilson. Just one opinion.

January 25, 2011 5:59 PM
By Ana Ranjado (not verified)

Aw, I liked Ford Linton/Lynton better, too.

January 26, 2011 10:22 AM
By Anne-onymous (not verified)

When I hear "Robert Ford" I think of the film

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

... but maybe that's just me! :)

January 31, 2011 12:14 PM
By MADMUD (not verified)

Sorry, I hear a first name Ford and all I can think is the character 'Ford Prefect'. It's a Hitchhiker's Guide geek thing!

March 30, 2013 9:17 PM
By Marya Chernay (not verified)

I sincerely hope that you are going to be elaborating more on this issue. I like a little more information.