The Letter of the Day is F: Baby Names that Start with F All the Rage

The Letter of the Day is F: Baby Names that Start with F All the Rage
Fame Pictures

We can't help but notice the abundance of names that start with the letter "F" these days... Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom have a baby Flynn; Owen Wilson has a Robert Ford; Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban went with Faith for their second daughter; Rizzoli & Isles actress Sasha Alexander recently named her son Leonardo Fortunato; Victoria's Secret Angel Doutzen Kroes technically gave her son a "P" name, but Phyllon still begins with an "F" sound.

"F" names are cropping up at the movies, too: The young hero of Disney's Tangled goes by Flynn Rider, a moniker he stole from a character in a book named Flynnigan Rider. And while Rider's real name in the movie is Eugene Fitzherbert, that he chooses to go by Flynn suggests Flynn is one cool name.

And the new Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling film, Blue Valentine, also stars an adorable little girl named Frankie. Which reminded us of actress Amanda Peet and her daughter Frances Pen, who has been called Frankie since birth.

So what gives? What's with all these "F" names?

For starters, the name Finn in particular has become awfully popular. In the 1990s, Finn wasn't anywhere near the charts, but then in 2003 it debuted at #659, and by 2009, it was up to #343. Even Finnegan has been on the rise; in 2009 it was #548, up from #888 in 2005 (#0 in 2004).

It isn't a big leap from Finn and Finnegan to Flynn and Flynnigan, which are given top billing in Tangled and in the Bloom-Kerr household these days. It makes sense that parents would respond to the increased popularity of names like Finn and Quinn but want to tweak the trend ever so slightly to set their child apart.

In addition, Finn, Flynn, Ford, Fortunato, Frankie and even Phyllon reflect the surname/unisex trend. Flynn could be a little boy's name, but it could just as easily belong to a little girl. Or, it could be someone's last name. Flynn isn't yet a bonafide hit in the U.S., but it's already quite popular in Australia and New Zealand and now that both Disney and Orlando Bloom have picked it, we suspect Flynn's star is about to get much brighter.

But let's not forget about Finnegan and Flynnigan. Americans tend to prefer their official names long and impressive sounding. So while you may know before the baby's born that he (or she!) will be a Finn, there's a good chance you'll still gravitate toward Finnegan or Finley/Finlay for baby's birth certificate. Take a look at the boys' names beginning in FIN in the Baby Name Voyager as well as girls' names beginning in FIN to see what we mean.

We rather like that "F" names are getting their day in the sun, but what do you think? Do you see this trend in your own neighborhood? Did you give your child an "F" name?

--V.L.

Comments

January 24, 2011 7:53 PM
By Sarah (not verified)

There are many "F" names that I like, but I can't say that names like Finn and Finnegan are among them. Finnegan reminds of the song "There was an old man named Michael Finnegan" where his whiskers fall out but then grow in again. I'm more along the lines of things like Florence, Felicity, and Frances.

January 25, 2011 1:00 PM
By Valerie (not verified)

I guess my sister's following the trend then- her baby is Fergus.

January 25, 2011 1:01 PM
By Dianne (not verified)

My son is Field, which I think is a very cool "F" name!

January 25, 2011 1:02 PM
By Kristin (not verified)

We just named our baby Felix. It's certainly an F name, but more classic. I doubt it's part of the surname/unisex trend you're covering. Felix sounds more like the future husband of the aforementioned Florence, Felicity, or Frances.

January 25, 2011 1:06 PM

We just named our daughter Faye. Not exactly a trendy F name but we like it. :) who knew sewers ahead of the F curve?

January 25, 2011 1:08 PM

Sorry typo- who knew we were...

January 25, 2011 1:09 PM
By Lane

lol! Sewers ahead of the F curve...

January 25, 2011 1:30 PM

Finley is definitely on the short list as a girl's name for our baby due in June!

January 25, 2011 1:52 PM
By Bevin (not verified)

We have a baby Felix here too! At least the F names have been nice so far. I adore Frankie; my Mum is a Frances so I'd love to use Frankie for a girl.

On a separate note, why on earth do they make it so hard to leave a comment? I've just proven I'm a human so why do I have to copy and paste crap; it's difficult enough to type on a phone without all this extra cr*p.

January 25, 2011 2:02 PM
By Marni (not verified)

We named our son Finnegan, Finn for short at the end of 2009.
It wasn't as popular as it's becoming, but my husband and I fell in love with the name Finn and needed as F name to name after my Grandmother, Frances.
His twin sister got a much more common, Ella but they go well together. And she's named after my Aunt Edith. :)

January 25, 2011 2:04 PM
By Marni (not verified)

I totally agree about the difficulty of leaving a comment!!!

January 25, 2011 3:23 PM
By Lucky (not verified)

My son, born in 2003, is named Finley, nn Fin. It would have been his name if he were a she too - Finley Jack or Finley Jane. It is a surname from both of our families, so it seemed perfect. We can't believe how popular it has become! There is a Finn in both my children's classes - as well as Griffins - also called Fin!

Our daughter's middle name is Florence, for my mom, but if I could "do-over" her name, I'd give her Flora as a first name in honor of my mom's name.

I had a girl named Finn in my 5th grade class in 1999. She is the oldest one I know!

January 25, 2011 3:32 PM
By Rowelin (not verified)

My son's middle name is Friederick (family spelling). I wanted it to be his first name, but my husband said it sounded to formal and he didn't want to call him Fred, I wanted to call him Fritz. So we went with Miles Friederick.

January 25, 2011 3:38 PM
By Rowelin (not verified)

My hair dresser was going to name her baby Frankie if it was a girl, but she had a boy and named him Quinn. She has a daughter named Stevie and she thought it would be an adorable sibling name to have a sister Frankie.

January 25, 2011 4:09 PM
By Genie Apple (not verified)

I know lots of young children with 'F' names in my neighbourhood and family alone, including:

Florence
Franziska
Florabelle
Faith
Ffion
Fawn

Francesco
Finn (This would have been my name had I been a boy)
(Philippe)
Forrest
Fletcher
Friedrich
Fergus
Fabian
Florian
Felix

I think its great! I'd definitely consider an 'f' name for future use. I reckon the relative low frequency of the letter 'f' in the english language ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:English_letter_frequency_(alphabetic).svg ) gives it a fresh sound, and extra appeal.

January 25, 2011 4:23 PM
By shadelit (not verified)

I adore the name Felix for a boy. Flynn and Finn are nice, but far too popular for my tastes. I'm also a big fan of Francisco.

Faye and Flora were on my list for if I had a girl. I also liked Florence and Frances, although I've met a few little Frances' lately.

January 25, 2011 6:06 PM
By Christie (not verified)

Whee! Yet to see a Fraser on the list above :-)

We named our son Fraser for his father's and paternal grandfather's middle name. A number of generations previous it had migrated from a maiden name.

January 25, 2011 6:30 PM
By February's Child (not verified)

My husband and I strongly considered Flynn for our second son. We were not trying to "tweak" the name Finn though. Flynn is a surname. Ultimately, that's why we decided against it. Too trendy.

January 25, 2011 10:16 PM
By Kira (not verified)

My son's middle name is Fletcher, as was my father's.

January 26, 2011 2:15 AM

How about Finch, Fox, Falcon, or Fencer?

January 26, 2011 2:28 AM

I once knew a girl named Flannery... Also not mentioned, Fiona is growing in popularity...

January 29, 2011 8:41 PM

...and Frank! How could we forget that classic, Frank!

January 29, 2011 11:50 PM
By mariadeacero (not verified)

My cousin just had a baby Fiona. She's the first Fiona I've ever known.

@Dianne, I had an (great great) Uncle Field. I love that name!

On the topic of Flynn, during a visit to Georgia as a child, I met a girl named "Mary Flynn" (first & middle names). I always thought this was a lovely name - obviously, as it's stayed with me all these years!

January 31, 2011 9:42 AM

Oh, and Fiddler...a neat new name!

February 1, 2011 1:36 AM

What about Fallon, like Fallon Carrington from "Dynasty"?

February 1, 2011 7:51 AM

I love the name Felix! I am suprised that it has already come up three times in the comments here, I didn't think it was very popular (that's partly why I like it).

January 19, 2012 8:53 PM
By Fallon (not verified)

MY NAME IS FALLON AND MY PARENTS NAMED ME AFTER THAT FALLON FROM DYNASTY!! I think he found her hot l(my dad)! I'm trying to find nice F name for my son but sooo hard...so far I have Farell, Farro or Fidel. My husband only like Fidel

July 18, 2013 11:17 AM
By about us (not verified)

People work too much by which they earn also too much and if they earned too much they will spend also like that they do not know how to save their income to be used in their difficult times, here are the benefit tips of saving by which you can easily save your money as well as you can spend them also.

July 31, 2013 6:22 AM
By Financial economics (not verified)

Have a look over this site and enjoy our best bank loan service through proper discussion and with a reliable way. The delivery of the loan is very quick and you can get it within no time. We provide a proper package of loans suitable for all customers.

January 5, 2014 1:25 AM
By Gabi (not verified)

I saw the post by Diane above and got excited because we named our son Field too! (He was born Feb 5, 2011) and is a twin brother to Greta.