In Aiden vs. Aidan, Rod Stewart Picks a Side

In Aiden vs. Aidan, Rod Stewart Picks a Side
AAR/Fame Pictures

Rod Stewart and Penny Lancaster have welcomed their second son, Aiden.

Traditionalists will disagree about the proper spelling of this name. According to some, Aidan is more traditional. According to others, it's all transliterated from Gaelic, so the vowels are pretty arbitrary anyway.

One thing is certain: Aiden is a lot more popular in the US than Alastair, the name of Stewart and Lancaster's first son together. (Fun fact: Alastair's next oldest half-sibling has McAlister for a middle name.) Aiden fits the couple's Celtic-crossover tastes, and perhaps more mainstream appeal than Hamish (a name suggested by a Name Candy commenter).

Actress Tracey Gold also has an Aiden, while singer Bo Bice and skater Scott Hamilton each have an Aidan.

What do you think of this spelling of Aiden? Do you like Aiden and Alastair as brothers?

--L.R.

Comments

February 17, 2011 2:45 PM
By Megs (not verified)

Aiden, Aidan, Ayden, Aden.....Whatever spelling you choose, the name is so overdone that it makes me roll my eyes when I hear a child in 2011 named trendy.

Alastair is stunning and refreshing. It holds substance into adulthood. Aiden is blah

February 17, 2011 2:51 PM
By Allison (not verified)

Agreed with Megs. Any form of Aidan (the spelling I prefer) is overdone. Along with Jayden, Kaden, Brayden, etc.

Alistair is gorgeous. Hamish *would* have been a much better choice.

February 17, 2011 3:17 PM
By mk (not verified)

Aiden (I prefer Aidan for the spelling) and Alastair sound fine together. But like the others, I am tired of the name. It's a nice name, and I loved it years ago. But now, it just sounds overused.

February 17, 2011 3:42 PM
By bajik (not verified)

Aidan is a lovely name. Aiden just looks dopey and misspelled, to me.

February 17, 2011 8:26 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

Aidan (Not Aiden, Ayden, Aidyn, Aden or whatever) is about the only one of those rhyming names I like. Hayden on a boy as well. But I'd never use them. Far too popular! A friend of mine who teaches kindergarten has 12 boys in her class and 8 of them have names that rhyme with Aidan.

February 17, 2011 9:51 PM
By How to lose stomach fat (not verified)

Aiden is a popular name now after the Desperate Housewives tv show.

February 22, 2011 1:16 PM
By Lacey (not verified)

Alastair is far nicer and more distinguished. It's also more common in the UK and Commonwealth countries. Aidan to me is overloaded with cultural baggage and associations.

February 22, 2011 1:46 PM
By Jenny (not verified)

My 5-year-old son is named Adrian and he is ALWAYS getting called Aidan! Such a popular name! Adrian is named for my Dutch great-grandfather, Adrianus.

February 22, 2011 2:22 PM
By Dianne (not verified)

Jenny, my son's middle name is Adrianus, also after a Dutch great-grandfather (and a Dutch uncle, and several other Dutch relatives)!

February 22, 2011 2:24 PM

I prefer Aidan...but prefer not to hear the name on anyone new anymore! It was a nice run...now let's just take a little break and go with something else for a change, shall we?

February 22, 2011 2:33 PM
By Jenny (not verified)

Dianne --
So wonderful to hear your son's middle name is Adrianus. We thought of naming our Adrian the real deal, but with our last name, it would have been a tongue twister. Especially because his middle name is very unusual, Elefterios (after my husband's very Greek first name, but husband goes by Terry). Of course I am partial, but I love Adrian for a boy and wish it wouldn't get morphed into Aidan!

February 22, 2011 3:34 PM

@Megs - how would you feel if I said I would "roll my eyes" at your child's name? Get over yourself.

My husband and I picked our son's name (Aiden) years ago, before the Aiden-boom happened. With that being said, we doubted if we should still use the name even though it gained so much popularity recently. In the end, we still loved the name like we always did - and we thrilled to bring our own Aiden into the world.

February 23, 2011 1:00 AM
By Faye (not verified)

Love Alastair and Aiden, as names and as a sibling set. :)

I prefer the e ending but I think both are pretty standard? Still confused about ANYONE confusing an Adrian for an Aiden - there's an r, people! I understand one is a quite trendy name, but Adrian and its derivatives have been quite popular for both genders for some time.

On that tangent, Aiden for a girl would be pretty good. But then, my litmus test is usually "do I like this for the opposite gender" and/or "is this usually used for the opposite gender"? (So far Aubrey and Tristan are my favorites - Aubrey for a boy and Tristan for a girl, but either way; I like "Ashley" in its original form for a boy, etc. Laramie is one I like that I always thought would be a girl's name: the only celeb baby that has it is a boy. Etc.

...Plus, if my child ever comes out as transgender and happens to like their name anyway, they won't have to angst over being easily gendered.) /tangent!

February 23, 2011 2:52 AM
By Top 10 Name of the 70s (not verified)

Oh my goodness - it was little ole me who suggested "Hamish" way back when!

Aiden/an is not overdone here in Australia. It is about as popular as Hamish. We had a Celtic boom over the past decade - hence the popularity also of Lachlan, Liam, Angus, Callum, Kieren. (Incidentally - definitely NOT Kevin! Especially after a recently deposed PM - such a nerd. I have never understood the American attraction to Kevin and Sean - they are hugely unfashionable down here!)

I find Alastair a bit effeminate - much like Julian. Aiden is a good strong masculine name.

February 23, 2011 1:48 PM

I think the vowels are indeed the same as in Gaelic. It's not like Gaelic has a non-western script like Cyrillic.

February 23, 2011 10:02 PM
By Dianne (not verified)

Jenny, while I preferred Adrian for my son's middle name, and certainly suggested that alternative, my then-husband felt that if we were going to honor my mother's Dutch family members, we ought to use the actual, full name. So, that's what it ended up being. Love your son's interesting, culturally imbued name!

February 24, 2011 1:16 AM

@Top 10 Name of the 70s - I think it depends on where in Australia you are. I'm in Brisbane and know about a dozen Aiden/Aidan/Aydan's (and their rhyming counterparts) in the 0-6yo set, but only one Hamish.
I do know a few older (in their 20s) Lachlans, Callums, Liams, Kierens and Hamishes - so won't be using any of those, despite my Celtic roots.
I agree with you on the Kevin/Sean issue! Very few new parents would consider them down here.

February 26, 2011 8:07 AM
By Charly (not verified)

Wow, a Watsonian feat if there ever was one--"how to lose stomach fat" bot posting a somewhat reasonable sounding comment! And got past the captcha . . . creeeeepy

March 9, 2011 8:32 AM

Saint Aidan (not Aiden) The apostle of Northumbria, born in Ireland, died 651 AD.

June 24, 2011 11:03 PM
By Phil (not verified)

I'm in the U.S. My second son is now nearly 18, and we were going to call him Myles Alastair. The minute he was born we said "He doesn't look like a Myles. What's another choice?" So we named him Aidan - he looks like an Aidan!
I once had a stage name I invented of "Fats McAlister", going back to that original Rod Stewart post.
Aidan used to hate his name because no-one knew how to say it or spell it. Now that everyone is naming their kids after him he's OK with it.

May 4, 2015 1:54 AM
By GED Program (not verified)

Such a wonderful post,i really like to visit here,Thanks for sharing.

Visit: http://www.isnare.com/?aid=1934087&ca=Education