No Doubt Guitarist Chooses His Most Interesting Name Yet

No Doubt Guitarist Chooses His Most Interesting Name Yet
RAM/Fame Pictures

Speaking of rock band baby names, Tom Dumont of No Doubt and his wife gave us their most intriguing name yet for boy number three: Koa Thomas Dumont.

Koa's brothers are Ace Joseph and Rio Atticus. The new baby follows the pattern: an eye-catching, three-letter first name, followed by a more traditional middle name. Thomas fits right in with Joseph, but Atticus, while perhaps more familiar than Rio, isn't a solid old Biblical favorite.

We weren't familiar with Koa. It turns out to be an unusual nature name. According to a Namipedia user, Koa is a Hawaiian word meaning "brave," and is also "the common name for a Hawaiian acacia tree and as well as the wood from that tree which is used to make canoes, surfboards and musical instruments." (Read more about Koa wood here.) Related names include Kekoa and the girl's version, Koah.

This name is daringly unstylish: K is somewhat out of fashion as a starting letter, and the only name ending with "oa" that has ever cracked the top-100 is the girl's name Zoa, which appeared only briefly in the 1880s. Yet the name also brings to mind Koan, a word name that fits right in with the current popularity of names with eastern imagery. (For example, Dumont's bandmate, Tony Kanal, recently welcomed Coco Reese Lakshmi.) Then there's the subtle way the name's meaning alludes to music.

On the whole, Koa is a surprise, but a good one. We also like how the couple's theme -- unusual three-letter first name, normal middle name -- demands creativity, but reigns in the crazy.

What do you think of Koa Thomas?

--L.R.

Comments

February 19, 2011 10:29 PM
By Mom (not verified)

I like it. Something different, and unique, and easy to say/spell.

February 20, 2011 3:00 PM
By ElleIreland (not verified)

It's okay, perfect for a musician. And like most names, infinitely preferable to Apple.

It reminds me of Noah. Which reminds me of a lovely young grandma I know, whose grandkids were named Ezra and Ella. I complimented her on their names, and she said that now there were two new babies in the family: Knoa and Owen.

What???? They just ruined Ezra and Ella. Why in the world would they take a perfectly good Biblical name and give it a wonky spelling? And the baby's name is a linguisic tongue-twister next to cousin Owen's name. I stayed silent, but had many thoughts.

February 21, 2011 9:29 PM
By Vicky (not verified)

This name reminds me of Kai, which seems like it's pretty popular lately. It also surprises me that K names are not in style right now. I can think of a lot of girl names, at least, that start with K. Especially with all the creative spellings, seems like a lot of C names are now being spelled with K instead.

February 22, 2011 2:39 PM
By Kira (not verified)

When I was a name-obsessed child, I planned to have twin daughters named Koa and Kyla. :) Koa sounds nice for a boy too.

February 23, 2011 1:06 AM
By Faye (not verified)

@Vicky - I was about to mention Kai! I love that name, and Koa does remind me of it.

Actually, the previous comment juxtaposed makes me laugh because of actor Kai Owen.

February 23, 2011 1:49 PM

Someone on my facebook has a child named Koa. I don't know what gender it was though. Doesn't sound enough like a name, sounds more like a tropical plant

February 25, 2011 10:18 PM
By Elisa (not verified)

These names get a huge thumbs up from me... Koa is interesting and is growing on me, but as a personal rule, I tend to not like boys' names that end in "a".

September 8, 2014 7:01 AM
By click here (not verified)

I am excited to see a printing business still operating and growing, great job guys.