A Baby Named Facebook

We were incredulous when we read the news that an Egyptian man named his newborn daughter "Facebook" (read the story on TechCrunch).  According to reports, twenty-something Jamal Ibrahim named his daughter Facebook in honor of the social networking platform that helped facilitate communications for participants in Egypt's January 25 revolution.

While naming a baby girl Facebook seems completely outrageous here in the U.S., it's possible that at least phonically, it may sound less unusual in Egypt, where Arabic names beginning with F and ending with a hard consonant (think Falak or Farouz) are more common. (But let's face it, the name is making headlines there as well!)

In the past, we have seen hoaxes of babies named "Yahoo", as well as real babies named Google, but despite cute potential nicknames like Faye, Ace and Boo, we don't see Facebook catching on as a name.

What do you think?  Is this story true?  Would you name a baby Facebook? Is there another favorite site you would consider naming a baby after?  And if you are an Arabic speaker, how do you think the name Facebook will go over in Egypt?

--J.B.

Comments

February 21, 2011 11:54 AM
By Caitlyn (not verified)

an unusual choice, but if it sounds okay it might catch on, especially if the revolution has good results. names have to come from somewhere, after all, and I can think of worse choices.

February 21, 2011 2:12 PM
By Zoe (not verified)

Poor baby. That name is not a good one. I wonder if it's a political name, protesting the banning of social media in Egypt.

February 21, 2011 11:02 PM

I am not a big fan of brands as names, even if the brand becomes important in a historical way. Would you name a baby Boeing because they helped us win a war?

February 23, 2011 1:21 AM
By Faye (not verified)

Theoretically possible. If I were going to name a baby after a social media site I'd go with Twitter. At least it's something cute and birdlike!

February 25, 2011 10:20 PM
By Elisa (not verified)

Interesting! If I were going to name a baby after a site, it would probably be Match, because my husband and I met on match.com. Come to think of it, Match isn't too terrible of a baby name idea (at least for me personally, considering the story!)

March 31, 2013 4:17 AM
By Venessa Kittredge (not verified)

I will be considering this point as part of a write up I want to write on prospective job opportunities I possibly will decide upon. Appreciate your posting it truly is beneficial details of this point.

June 17, 2013 1:39 AM
By Risk management (not verified)

June 25, 2013 5:23 AM
By online tech Schools (not verified)

Thanks for your great post. nice.