Rufus Wainwright Welcomes Daughter Viva Katherine

Rufus Wainwright Welcomes Daughter Viva Katherine
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Canadian-American singer-songwriter Rufus Wainwright has a new title: dad!

Just a few days ago, Viva Katherine Wainwright Cohen was born to Rufus Wainwright, mom Lorca Cohen and "deputy dad" Jörn Weisbrodt. Wainwright is gay, and he and Weisbrodt have been together for five years; they got engaged late last year. Cohen is the daughter of Leonard Cohen.

In January of 2010 Wainwright's mother, Canadian folk singer Kate McGarrigle, died after a long battle with cancer. Viva gets her middle name, Katherine, from her. As for her first name, Viva comes from the Latin for "life" or "live." In light of his mother's recent death, Wainwright's choice to give his daughter a name that means "Live Katherine" is pretty powerful.

Mom Lorca Cohen was named after the poet Federico García Lorca. Both mom and baby have short and pretty, ultrafeminine names that feel hip and sophisticated. Andy Warhol must have agreed as he renamed Janet Hoffmann, one of his actresses, Viva just before the release of her first film with him.

What do you think of the name Viva Katherine?

--V.L.

Comments

February 25, 2011 9:48 AM
By Lane

Whoah! Wow! Interesting, because of all the Vita/Vida celebrity babies in the past year or so. Viva fits that trend, plus the current fad for Vivian. I'm a fan of the sound of "viv."

February 25, 2011 10:07 AM
By Lane

Viva's nice, but I really love her parents' names. Rufus and Lorca and Jorn. All awesome.

February 25, 2011 12:26 PM
By Pip (not verified)

I am contemplating the nickname Viva for a future Vivian, since "Vivi" (vih-vee) seems too close to my current daughter's name (Sylvie). Any opinions? Does Viva work? I do think it's cute!

February 25, 2011 9:14 PM

Absolutely love it!

March 1, 2011 1:02 PM
By Valerie (not verified)

Love it! I'm a big fan of Rufus and am glad to discover he has good taste in names. I'm also intrigued as to exactly who will bring her up- all three of them? Well, they say it takes a village...

March 1, 2011 2:55 PM
By Amanda (not verified)

In theory I like the meaning and sound of the name, but my first thought was, "like the paper towel brand?"