Will Mariah Carey's Choice Make "M" Names Cool Again?

Will Mariah Carey's Choice Make "M" Names Cool Again?
RAM/Fame Pictures

Mariah Carey has already had influence on baby names. Will her choice to give her newborn twins names that begin with "M" help make "M" names cool again?

For the moment, we can only speculate on the coolness of her baby names. (Update: They're Monroe & Moroccan.) After promising several hours ago that she was "ready" to reveal the names on Twitter, and offering the tantalizing hint about the matching initials, Mariah Carey has remained mum on the subject of greatest interest. Her Twitter feed has, on the other hand, has re-tweeted news about all the fuss she's making. (Maybe M stands for Meta?)

M names for girls have declined sharply in popularity since the 1880s, when Mary was the most popular name, and Minnie, Margaret, Martha, Maud and Mabel were in the top 25. For boys, M names peaked in the 1960s, when Michael was #1, Mark was #6 and Matthew #10, and Manuel, Mitchell and Martin were all common.  We think these names still work. The 1880s names are now fashion-forward old-lady names, while Michael remains a perennial favorite and Matthew and its variants (Mateo, etc) are "global hits."

Today's most popular M names in the US are Matthew (#13), Madison (#7) and Mia (#10). Ian Ziering just chose Mia to honor his mom, Mickie. If these names feel played out, you can look to the bottom of the charts for some wilder and woolier M names. Mustafa, Magdalena, Mack, Mariela, Makhi, Meadow, Marely and Marcelo all made the list of the most popular names in 2009.

Even woolier are the joke names Mariah's increasingly antsy fan base is suggesting. Marilyn and Monroe, to mark the singer's love of that sex symbol? (Not likely, although we think Monroe is a great guess.) Miracle and Magic? Mickey and Minnie?

Jokes aside, recent celebrity choices like Marcello and Marlowe suggest the tide is turning toward unique M names. Peyton Manning just named his twins Mosley and Marshall. And what about the name Mariah? It too was on the charts in the 1880s, then went the way of Mabel. But in the 1990s, Mariah leaped back to the top-100, propelled by, well, Mariah Carey. Will her name-mojo make the twins' names -- whatever they turn out to be -- more prominent? While we wait, you can look through our lists of girls' "M" names and boys' "M" names from Namipedia.

What are your favorite "M" names? What would you name M & M twins?

--L.R.

Comments

May 3, 2011 3:38 PM
By Megs (not verified)

I'm going with Madison and Mason, but with much more atrocious spellings

May 3, 2011 3:40 PM
By Katy (not verified)

I hear a lot of people mentioning Molly. Not sure if anyone's used it yet, but a lot of people are considering it.

May 3, 2011 3:56 PM
By Deborah (not verified)

My daughter's name is Madelyn and I love it! I highly doubt she will use that name, but it is by far my favorite. Milan is a girl place name that I have heard before as well and may fit with Mariah's style. What about Max for a boy name. That is a boy M name that is popular right now as well. I'm ready for the revealing post though!!

May 3, 2011 4:19 PM
By Margaret (not verified)

Marin is my favorite, being my first daughter's name.

May 3, 2011 4:26 PM

My daughter is Mariska which is a family name and a diminutive of Mary. We love it! I also love Marina.

May 3, 2011 4:40 PM
By Rowelin (not verified)

My son's name is Miles. I love lots of M names. Here is my list: Miller, Mitchel, Mace, Micah, Murphy, Maverick, Mattox, Marjorie, Maris, Margo, Morgan, Mona, Mae, Mia, Macy, Mary-Claire, Melora, Millicent, Miriam, Melyn.

Any would make a cute twin set.

May 3, 2011 4:49 PM
By AngelaAiea (not verified)

My favorites list includes Madeleva, Magdalena, Maia, Malcolm, Marek, Maria, Marieke, Mary, Matilda, Matthias, Maximilian, Minerva, and Miranda.

I made a lot of guesses on the last post about these twins that don't make sense now in light of the "M" initial... But "Memory" was one of my guesses, and that could be a possibility.

May 3, 2011 6:34 PM
By Another British Laura (not verified)

When I heard they were going with 'M' names I thought Mystery and Max.

I do like the suggestion of Memory too.

May 3, 2011 9:50 PM
By Kelsey (not verified)

Girl/Girl: Mallory Jade/ Margaret Anne

Boy/Boy: Maxwell Grant/ Matthew Charles

Girl/Boy: Mallory Jade/ Maxwell Charles

May 4, 2011 12:33 AM
By Mamapeas (not verified)

I doubt it'll be Milan for the girl, considering Nick's ex lover is Christina Milian, and may be a little too close for comfort! It would be for me if I was mama!

May 4, 2011 2:14 AM
By hillary (not verified)

Morgan and Madison