Second Baby Name Inspired By Facebook! Find Out If It's Wall, Friend, Poke or Like

There's no doubt that Facebook is popular -- there are more than 600 million active members -- but the social media site has now inspired its second baby name. Nearly three months after an Egyptian man named his daughter Facebook, an Israeli couple followed his lead by naming their little girl... Like.

The most popular baby names in Israel currently are Noa (meaning "movement"), Maya ("spring") and Tamar ("palm tree"), but the baby's father Lior Adler told the Israeli paper Maariv that he and his wife, Vardit, wanted their daughter to have a unique name. So they decided to name their third born after the popular Facebook feature which allows users to give a thumbs up to comments, photos and links posted by other users.

"We named her Like because it's modern and innovative," Lior told the paper. "I checked that the name does not exist elsewhere in the country -- that was the main condition for me… In our opinion, it's the modern equivalent of the name Ahava (Hebrew for "love"). It's just my way of saying to my fantastic daughter, 'love.'"

When the name Like is compared to the name Love -- a unisex name meaning "to have love or affection for" notably used by Jennifer Love Hewitt -- it makes a little more sense than the Facebook action letting someone know you like their vacation photos or dig their status update. But we think there are some more natural fits that could stem from Facebook lingo -- like the names Page (English name meaning “young servant”) or Tag (Irish name for boys meaning “handsome”).

And if it's a name meaning love that they were after, there are tons. Some of the many names of girls which mean love -- unrelated to Facebook or social networking -- are Freya (the goddess of love and fertility), Kalina (“to love”), Milada (“my love”) and Sweetheart (“one who is loved”). Not only do those names represent affection, they've never appeared on the popular baby name list in the U.S, so they're fairly uncommon, too.

Back to Lior Adler, he and his wife have made a habit out of finding unique names -- not just Like. Fans of cooking, their other children are Pie (the English word for the name) and Vash, which is Hebrew for Honey. It seems another food name would have made for a better matching sibset, but maybe they’ll pick another social media inspired name for their next child. We wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a Tweet Adler or Follow Adler in their future.

Do you give a “like” to the name Like -- or is you feeling more dislike? Is Like better or worse than the name Facebook? Let us know what you think.

--S.B.

Comments

May 16, 2011 6:44 PM
By Lane

They're pronounced differently, but it makes me think of Lykke.

May 17, 2011 1:16 PM

Pie is a slang term for vagina in the UK and 'Vash' kind of sounds like 'gash'.

May 17, 2011 2:11 PM
By 2prettygirlies (not verified)

I'm sorry, but I think this couple has picked AWFUL names for two of their children! The worst part is that the names just don't go together. They should have stuck to one language or one theme (such as food or words with meaning). I personally like the name Vash because of the nice meaning (although it's true that in English it does rhyme with gash,but it also rhymes with cash!). To name the other two "pie" and "like" are just cruel in my humble opinion.
On another note, one of my daughters is named Noa (the most popular Israeli girls name) so I guess I'm not one for originality! Although we're Canadian so, it is pretty uncommon here:)

May 17, 2011 3:53 PM
By Eustace (not verified)

The Hebrew word for honey is not Vash, it's Dvash. Which isn't all that unusual, by Israeli standards.

May 17, 2011 4:14 PM
By hillary (not verified)

I don't think it's that terrible. I wouldn't do it myself but it reminds me of other naming trends in history, like the Puritans with their random Biblical virtue names, like Be-Courteous, Submit, or Humiliation. It's a sign of the times and while in history it will probably be seen as an oddity, it's not particularly unexpected.

May 18, 2011 1:16 AM

also in Hebrew, Vash is pronounced Vush so rhyming with Lush and the actual hebrew word for honey is Dvash, which would be pronounced D'Vush

May 18, 2011 1:21 AM

The name itself doesn't bother me much, and of the three kids I think she has the best one. I'm more bothered by their reasoning, since like is not the same thing as love. If the parents wanted to say "love" to their daughter, shouldn't they have named her Love?

April 7, 2012 4:56 PM
By Facebok Status (not verified)

In a few years, Facebook may become the last name of many people.

April 25, 2012 1:35 AM
By Adeline Doty (not verified)

which would be pronounced D'Vush.

May 9, 2012 7:40 AM
By facebook status (not verified)

Do you give a “like” to the name Like -- or is you feeling more dislike? Is Like better or worse than the name Facebook? Let us know what you think.

June 27, 2012 2:42 AM
By facebook messages (not verified)

If you leave without a reason, do not come back with an excuse.

July 17, 2012 4:55 AM
By christmas sms (not verified)

its quit interesting post for me given name through facebook its sound rare but seem good

July 28, 2012 5:23 AM
By stone houses durham dale (not verified)

If your thinking about a loft conversion, especially if you plan on talking the DIY route, you need to be aware of how the planning regulations will effect you. While it is always a good idea to contact your local planning agency.

July 28, 2012 8:23 AM
By elearning video (not verified)

One of the advantages of cynicism is its ability to lighten the mood. It may even get you to chuckle when you allow your cynicism to be heard loud and clear.

August 9, 2012 8:07 PM
By Beststatusforfacebook (not verified)

when anyone need to get maximum wantedstatus he must to join http://www.beststatusforfacebook.com/

September 23, 2012 2:12 AM
By clever facebook statuses (not verified)

I am genuinely grateful to the holder of this web page who has shared this fantastic piece of writing at here.

January 17, 2013 3:33 AM
By Mail Forwarding (not verified)

The series premieres Thursday, March 29th at 9pm ET/PT with eight, hour-long episodes. Photos available for download at http://press.wetv.com.

January 17, 2013 5:52 AM
By Cheap Website Design (not verified)

It's just my way of saying to my fantastic daughter, 'love.'"

July 1, 2013 10:06 AM
By hd wallpapers (not verified)

The information and the detail were just perfect. I think that your perspective is deep, its just well thought out and really fantastic to see someone who knows how to put these thoughts down so wel

October 23, 2013 12:24 AM
By Shrey Patel (not verified)

Nice Post.
It's Fantastic to see something so far.
I love them.
I really like this :) Great Job!