Jewel's Baby Name: Kase Townes Conjures Music and Texas

Jewel's Baby Name: Kase Townes Conjures Music and Texas
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Singer Jewel and her celebrity bull ridin' husband, Ty Murray, announced that they have welcomed a son named Kase Townes Murray.

The musician and the rodeo guy, who have lately remade themselves as reality tv celebrity experts, live together on a ranch in Texas, and their baby name pays homage to both music and Texas. KASE 101 is the name of a big country music station based in Austin, Texas. (The station website announced the birth, but not the name. Modesty?)

Kase, a variant on a short form of the Irish surname Casey, also has the of-the-moment sound you find in Ace, Chase, Mason and Greyson. (Want to know more? You can read our essay on Greyson, or you can read The Name Lady on Jason.) The spelling Kase has never been on the charts, but Case was #353 in 2010, Kasey was #808 and Kasen made #620.

Middle name Townes conjures cult musician Townes Van Zandt, a gifted and troubled talent from Fort Worth, Texas, who wrote hit songs for Emmy Lou Harris and Merle Haggard before his early death from alcoholism, and who has continued to inspire musicians from Bob Dylan and The Cowboy Junkies to Norah Jones. Per Wikipedia, his musical style is "American-Texas Country-Folk." Sounds about right for Jewel's baby, don't you think?

Best random tidbit we discovered researching this article? Jewel wrote a book of love poems for Ty that she wanted to publish, but decided not to because she didn't want her mother-in-law to read them. (On the flip side of the coin, Alicia Silverstone let her mother-in-law choose her baby's name.)

What do you think of Jewel and Ty Murray's baby name, Kase Townes? What's your favorite Texas-themed name?

-L.R.

Comments

July 13, 2011 12:19 PM

It is a very strange name and the child will be made fun of.

July 14, 2011 8:23 AM

I'm from Texas, and the name doesn't strike me as odd at all. I doubt they named him after a radio station, though -- that's a pretty obscure reference, and I knew several guys named Kase or Case in high school. Townes is unusual, but not terrible. As for my favorite Texas name: I'm planning to name my son Travis, after one of the commanders at the Alamo.

July 14, 2011 10:16 AM
By mk (not verified)

While I don't particularly like it, I don't find the name strange and I doubt kids will make fun of it. Kase is not that different from Casey and other -ase names. Townes is fine too.

I've certainly heard worse names.

July 15, 2011 6:29 AM
By elleireland (not verified)

It's fantastic! I just don't love the "s" ending of both names. Kase Townsend would have sounded better. No matter the talent, why would you name your baby after a troubled, dead musician who isn't even a relative?

Best Texas name....hmmmmm....maybe Houston, or Bowie, or Worth. Austin has been beat to death and should be obliterated as a name choice.

I think Jewel will be the sweetest little mama, with the sweetest lullabies for her baby.

July 15, 2011 11:11 AM
By hillary (not verified)

It's a very country-music name which is a little strange, but I suppose it's the combination of rodeo champion + folk singer. Jewel has really adopted Texas as her home so it makes sense from that perspective. It is not my style at all but it's not horrible.

July 15, 2011 9:26 PM
By Stephanie (not verified)

Kase is cute. No one really pays attention to middle names anyway. Townes is ok, too. Kase is super cute for a boy and has the potential to be a good man's name too- call him Kasey as a boy and Kase as a man and you have no issues.

July 15, 2011 9:56 PM
By PJR (not verified)

Kase is fine, sounds like it's short for Casey. And think of all the country musicians named Trace or Tracy. It's a fine name, esp. for Texas.
I have a friend who also named his son Townes after Mr. Van Zant. I just hope these kids don't grow up to be alcoholics.

July 19, 2011 12:24 PM
By emilyrae (not verified)

pjr,
i know someone who named their son t0wnes after van zant too!

July 20, 2011 1:59 AM

I was expecting something a little more creative, romantic or with a folk rock edge.....

October 12, 2011 9:28 AM

I love the Baby's name. I don't like simple John & Mary names. My children have out of the norm names and they love it. They were never made fun of in School. I think giving your baby a different name than everyone else makes them SPECIAL!! GO KASE!!!!

December 16, 2011 1:45 PM
By Kase (not verified)

I am very proud of the name "Kase" that my father gave me, it is a unique enough name to set a person apart from the crown but not so different that people cant pronounce it or spell it. I have lived a very happy 42 years with this name & wouldnt trade it for anything, it has truly been one of the gifts in my life! I send my best wishes to little Kase Townes, may you always be strong, happy & healthy & carry your name with pride!

BTW, I was called Kasey as a boy, as a man Kase.

Cheers
Kase L.

March 12, 2012 7:13 PM

I love the name!

January 8, 2013 11:46 PM

My sons name is Kase Elijah and I had no idea Jewel named her son that. I had never heard the name with a K before.