Ivanka Trump Baby Name Revealed

Ivanka Trump Baby Name Revealed
Photo Credit: Fame Pictures

The Trump empire expands. Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner this weekend welcomed a baby girl named Arabella Rose.

Arabella joins a spate of frilliana baby names we've seen over the past year.  Arabella is an old name that feels international for having made an appearance in German operas, English novels and contemporary fairy tales.

Long ago, the name Arabella just cracked the top-1000 baby names in America in the 1880s and then disappeared from the lists, reemerging in 2005 and skyrocketing to # 363 by last year.

And why not?  Arabella has the makings of a modern hit -- just mix #1 hit name Isabella with the Little Mermaid's Ariel (or Arianna, depending whether your media tastes swing more Disney or more Huffington).  It's an authentic "old" name that sounds fresh and distinctive -- though maybe not for long.

What do you think of the name Arabella Rose? Are you at all surprised by the name?

--J.B.

Comments

July 18, 2011 11:12 AM
By Barbara C. (not verified)

In 2003 All My Children introduced the character Arabella "Babe" Carey. I wouldn't doubt if that helped launch the name into the popular consciousness.

July 18, 2011 12:20 PM
By Allison (not verified)

Arabella "Babe" from AMC was my first thought, too.
It's okay. A little frilly, but a fine name.

July 18, 2011 2:01 PM
By mk (not verified)

Very pretty name. Rose is a boring as a middle name, but still pretty.

July 18, 2011 5:05 PM

Arabella is a character in the novel Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy, published in 1895. So it's not a new name. I like it.

July 19, 2011 1:12 PM
By elleireland (not verified)

It is a perfect name. Every baby's name should sound like a little poem, and this one does.

In fact, I'm surprised that the poet Jewel named her baby two single syllable names ending in "s."

Good job, Ivanka.

July 19, 2011 3:25 PM
By Allison Margaret (not verified)

I think it's lovely. In general, the "frilliana" names don't do it for me, and I dislike Bella intensely, but Arabella is an exception to that for some reason. Arabella Rose is a beautiful combination.

July 19, 2011 8:12 PM

I'm not a fan of friliana names, but Arabella is okay. It reminds me of Jude the Obscure. Rose a dull middle name, but it goes well with Arabella. I hope they don't shorten her name to Bella. I know more dogs named Bella than girls!

July 25, 2011 1:56 AM
By Marie (not verified)

I don't really like the way "ara" in Arabella sounds, but overall it's an okay name.

July 29, 2011 6:11 AM
By Jessica (not verified)

Arabella was also the name of John and Jackie Kennedy's first child (stillborn).
I wouldn't be surprised if Mrs. Kutchner takes more than a few cues from the former first lady. Ivanka is lovely.

August 2, 2011 8:32 PM
By Marliese (not verified)

I like the name. I considered it for my second child, but then i thought he they would feel about it and decided against it.