Jessica Alba and Cash Warren Welcome Another "H" Name

Jessica Alba and Cash Warren Welcome Another "H" Name
Fame Pictures

Jessica Alba and Cash Warren have welcomed their second daughter, Haven Garner Warren. Alba and Warren have mostly gotten raves for their older daughter's name: Honor Marie. Will Haven Garner get the same reaction?

Let's start with why Honor sounds fresh. Honor is an unusual virtue name. It's never made the charts in the US. (However, the related Honora was on the charts in the 1880-1900 period). Yet it sounds familiar and upscale, thanks to its overlap with names like Connor and Eleanor. Tilda Swinton--known for her formidable personal style--and John Byrne chose Honor for one of their twins. (Her brother is Xavier).

Does Haven match? First up, the popularity curves of Honor and Haven are opposites. Whereas Honor has never charted, Haven was discovered by namers in the past decade and in 2009 sat as high on the US charts as 566. Namipedia comments suggest that namers don't have quite the same ritzy expectations of Haven as they have of Honor. (It's also familiar to many as a former boy's name.) Haven is similar to celebrity baby names Heaven Rain and Shaya Braven, children of just-married Brooke Burke and David Charvet, and Aven, daughter of Matthew Settle.

On the other hand, Haven matches Honor in being an H name of two syllables in length. They're also both word names. More interesting to us is Garner, an undiscovered surname name with pleasing similarities to Garnet, one of our 1920s favorites.

And let's talk about those "H" names. We like them. We're coming off a Hailey high, with Hailey, Hallie, and Hannah all sliding off from their recent popularity peaks. A decade earlier, Heather and Holly began their falls. These "soft" H names might sound pale, but the charts are full of interesting H choices. A few unusual two-syllable H name choices below:

What do you think of the name Haven Garner? What do you think of the sibling set, Honor and Haven? What "H" names would you consider?

--L.R.

Comments

August 15, 2011 7:11 AM
By Lane

At least they didn't choose Harper!

August 15, 2011 8:29 AM
By AngelaAiea (not verified)

Interesting that the H is silent in Honor, and voiced in Haven.

Also interesting that they're both 5 letters, and neither ends in a vowel.

August 15, 2011 12:23 PM
By Cassandra (not verified)

I think Haven Garner is beautiful but I don't think that it fits with Honor Marie.I also think that it's too themey, reminds me of Haven Garden.I wouldn't consider it myself and I actually can't come up with any H names that I would consider.And I totally agree with Lane and AngelaAiea!

August 15, 2011 12:38 PM
By mk (not verified)

I don't like either of them, to be honest, especially Haven. Honor is ok. H names I like are Hazel, Hannah, and Harper, though I think Harper is overused know.

August 15, 2011 12:48 PM

I love the name Hope!

August 15, 2011 1:39 PM

I live somewhere with lots of British accents.
I like Honor, but met an Irish girl named that, and found it very confusing, as people with British accents pronounce Anna the exact same way as Honor. (Brits put a non-existent "R" at the end of words that end in "A") I didn't see her name in writing, only heard it verbally, and it was a long time before I knew if her name was Honor or Anna.

August 15, 2011 4:23 PM
By Melissa (not verified)

Haven isn't at all the style of name I would typically go for, but for some reason, I just adore it. I think it's lovely!

August 15, 2011 7:04 PM
By Mom (not verified)

Another version of Honor, would be Honoria. I heard it on MASH. Honoria is the sister to Major Winchester.

August 16, 2011 12:35 PM

Why do Marie and Grace have to be such standbys for middle names!? Garner is refreshing. I like Haven better for a boy, and Honor just doesn't quite feel strong enough, but both are nice names and seem to go well together. I know a woman named Honoré. I like Holland and Hope, myself.

August 16, 2011 1:22 PM

I would love the name Honor if it was for a boy. It makes me sad that it is being used for a girl.
I am sort of wary about virtue names, because they might turn into a sad joke if the child turns out to be the exact opposite of that name. For instance, I once taught a girl named Patience who never sat still for a minute and needed everything now, now now.

August 16, 2011 4:15 PM
By lara jane (not verified)

The only other Haven I've known is now in her mid-twenties and she has a sister named Chanel.

I actually prefer Haven to Honor. I'm not big on virtue names, although Haven is a noun-name that also might not suit its bearer.

Hazel, Hero, Helen/a, Hermione, and Harriet are other H names I like, but since I'm very anti-matching and have a H-named child, I wouldn't use any of them.

August 17, 2011 12:53 AM
By Shadelit (not verified)

I didn't like Honor the first time I heard it (over a decade before Alba's daughter was born), but it has grown on me and now I like it very much.

I have always liked Helen, and Hope and Hazel were both on my name list should I have had a girl.

I like both Hannah and Harper but would never have considered using them as they're both far too popular.

I'm not a fan of Haven and I wouldn't use it, but I don't really hate it either. I had a friend with that middle name, growing up.

August 22, 2011 6:27 PM
By whistlerpotpie (not verified)

I know both a male and female Haven -he is late 50s and she is early 40s. They both have such distinct personalities that it's impossible not to picture both of them when I hear the name.

It's certainly better than Heaven or Nevaeh.

Garner made me think of Jennifer Garner. Then Garnet. I like Garnet for a middle name for a January girl.

August 23, 2011 12:59 AM
By Stephanie (not verified)

Honor and Haven are very nice, I think. As a sibling set, I think they make sense. If names sound too much alike, it gets weird for me, so I like that they went for names that were both virtues and had 2 syllables, in a way, but not similar in sound. I am happy neither of them have O middle names, however, particularly Haven- because I feel like then you could get the nickname H2O. Not a huge fan of Garner in general as a name, probably because it sounds more like a last name than a middle name to me- I did not make a Garnet connection at all. Garner also means "to earn"- so maybe Haven has earned her solace? I dunno. Other H names I like are Hera, Hope and Hedara (pronounced head-ar-uh and I have actually met one, and I thought it was a wicked cool name). I also sorta like Holmes for a boy, but I think that has too many associations with Sherlock Holmes and I can see people mispronouncing it as "Homes" which would be awful.

August 23, 2011 1:00 AM
By Stephanie (not verified)

Oh and I cannot neglect to mention Hester. Which is kinda old fashioned sounding, but sounds totally earthy and cool, too.

August 30, 2011 4:21 PM

Ugh I am planning to name my first boy this name after my husband's great grandfather.... I hate the name as a girl's name - sounds tacky like Nevaeh or something. Now I'm worried this will kick start a trend of this name leaning toward girl names. I don't want Haven to end up being like Shannon or something - a name you can name a boy but really shouldn't.

May 29, 2012 12:39 PM

The names are beautiful. They are unique to the mom and dad and that is all that matters. Good for them for choosing what they like and that are not crazy hollywood names. Like some actress and actors like to name their kids weird names bacause they are famous. ei- Blanket?? Really