From Cate to Clover: In New Baby Name, Neal McDonough and Wife Show Evolving Style

Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Neal McDonough and Ruvé Robertson have welcomed daughter Clover Elizabeth. Clover joins a sibset that consists of Catherine Maggie, Morgan Patrick, and London Jane

Here's how McDonough explained the name, according to People.com: "It has four leaves and this is our fourth child. Clover signifies good luck -- I'm Irish and Ruvé's favorite color is green." Also noted: the name Clover was suggested by son Morgan.

We wrote that London was "something of a departure" for McDonough and wife; Clover feels like a continued evolution. The older two children are classically named, while for the younger children, the classical feel is confined to the midle name. Catherine, Morgan, Patrick, Jane and Elizabeth are perennial names, never falling off the charts.

It's true, Neal and Ruvé took a step toward the trendy with London, a place name that has soared from sub-1000 in 2002 to #103 in the US in 2010. (Londyn ranks #289). But in contrast to her sibling's names, Clover is nowhere on the charts. It's unfashionably dense, plus it's hard not to hear the word "clover" and think of the ubiquitous ground covering through which we comb for the rare four-leaf specimans. (Scientists estimate one four-leaf clover grows for every 10,000 three-leaf clovers.) This association makes the name both bland and magical.

As a name, while unfamiliar, Clover is not so weird. (Think Chloe + River.) Plus, Irish names and color names are both trends. We've written before about green names in particular (and Pink just chose one for her daughter, Willow Sage).

Clover Elizabeth isn't the first celebrity baby to bear the name; skateboard legend Tony Hawk has a daughter named Kadence Clover

From Catherine (who shares a name with McDonough's mother, and reportedly goes by 'Cate') to Clover (who honors her parents, with a metaphor instead of a namesake), Neal and Ruvé continue to explore their heritage, but have pushed their baby name style to an edgier, trendier place.

What do you think of Clover? What do you think of the sibset--Cate, Morgan, London and Clover? Does your sibset show an evolving sense of style? Tell us!

--L.R.

Comments

August 17, 2011 9:39 AM
By Jennie

I think Clover is an adorable name. I wish I had thought of it!

August 17, 2011 10:10 AM
By Kristin (not verified)

I love Clover! I tried to talk my husband into using it for our daughter, but he thought I was crazy. My hair stylist (who I discussed names with a lot while I was pregnant) said Clover sounded like a horse name, which dampened my enthusiasm for it a bit.

August 17, 2011 11:36 AM
By NameLover (not verified)

Clover is one of my secret name crushes. It makes me think of the song Crimson and Clover. I also like how it sounds a bit hippyish like Willow or Alder, without being ott like Rainbow or Moonbeam.

August 17, 2011 9:36 PM

We named our 5 month old daughter Clover Leigh. People are surprised by her name but seem to love it.

August 17, 2011 9:43 PM
By Emily (not verified)

Clover isn't a name I would use, but I certainly don't mind it. Clover Elizabeth is a nice name.

August 18, 2011 12:11 AM

I absolutely love the name Clover. It's definitely on my nameberry girls list. This sibset does not go together.

August 18, 2011 8:15 AM
By Kiran (not verified)

Loved Clover for years. Not fond of it paired with Elizabeth, but I like the name (individually and as a combo) better than Catherine Maggie, Morgan Patrick and London Jane.

August 18, 2011 9:08 AM
By Alison (not verified)

I agree with Kristin's stylist - it does sound like a horse name. Clover is the kind of name that unless the name holder is a gorgeous and successful model/actress would seem ridiculous on an adult. I would truly hate to have to introduce myself as Clover. It is good that they gave her an "out" with a middle name she can go to if she doesn't like her quirky name, but sadly the names clash badly. I would also hate to be named Clover just because I was the fourth child, and forever be defined by my birth order relationship.

August 18, 2011 9:08 AM
By Alison (not verified)

August 18, 2011 11:11 AM
By mk (not verified)

I guess I like old fashioned names, because the one I like best is Catherine. Clover isn't bad though, and I do like that it was her brother's suggestion. Flower/plant names are popular, so it doesn't seem unusual to me.

I like London the least.

August 20, 2011 4:30 AM

I think its a terrible name. Meaning aside, it just doesnt sound nice.

August 24, 2011 12:20 PM
By Emily (not verified)

My cousin's little girl is named Clover. Everyone in my family (the older generation) thought it was very strange, but I think it's adorable. :)

August 24, 2011 2:03 PM

I have known two Clovers...
one was a rabbit and the other, a cow. 'Nough said...

August 24, 2011 4:42 PM
By Anya (not verified)

I generally like flower names like Lily, or Rose, or Daisy, so Clover sounds cute to me.
I think that London stands out in this sibset and is too trendy, not to mention - too boyish IMO.
My three children's names do not show any evolution:) We keep conservative and give our children family names.

August 24, 2011 8:20 PM
By katec (not verified)

Wasn't Katy's little sister in What Katy Did called Clover?

Susan Coolidge must have agreed that Katherine and Clover make a good sibset!

November 4, 2012 3:28 PM
By Ebonyelle (not verified)

My son is turning 5 and I named him Clover Liam . I love it and it suits him. He was my first born.