Ivanka Trump On Naming Daughter Arabella Rose Kushner: We Loved Her Initials!

Ivanka Trump On Naming Daughter Arabella Rose Kushner: We Loved Her Initials!
Diane Cohen/Fame Pictures

One month after becoming a first-time mother, Ivanka Trump has opened up about her baby naming process, revealing that “cool” initials helped seal the deal when selecting a name for daughter Arabella Rose Kushner.

In an interview with the Today show, Donald Trump’s businesswoman daughter, who converted to Judaism before marrying real estate scion Jared Kushner in 2009, shared that they followed the Jewish tradition of giving names to honor deceased family members. And the baby's initials, based on those name tributes, were an added bonus.

“I have always loved the name Arabella, and Jared’s grandmothers had names beginning with an ‘A’ and an ‘R,’” the Celebrity Apprentice judge explained. “We wanted to pay a subtle homage to those two strong and wonderful women while also adopting a name that was very unique. Plus, we thought that the initials, ARK, were cool!”

As we detailed in our post when Ivanka and Jared welcomed their daughterArabella is an old name that feels international for having made an appearance in German operas, English novels and contemporary fairy tales. It first cracked the Top-1000 baby names in America in the 1880s, then disappeared. In 2005 it returned and shot up to No. 363 by last year. Meanwhile, the floral name Rose has been one of the top baby names since the late 1800s. It peaked in 1911 and 1913 when it reached No. 14. It’s currently ranked at No. 337.

As Ivanka shared in the interview, baby Arabella’s “cool” initials — ARK — were a final a determining factor in their naming process. Initials are important — monogrammed baby gifts anyone? — but they seem to be more important to parents who are in the process of naming a child than they do later when the child is growing up.

Let's look at the Name Lady column in which one reader, who was expecting her fourth child, met resistance from her husband on a name because, if said name was selected, the first initials of all their children together would spell out a slang term. After explaining it would be unlikely people were going to work out the kids' initials in age order and see what they spell, the Name Lady went on to say that “Many a fine baby name plan has run aground on rocky initials." She said, “A single first-last pair of initials shouldn't sink a name you love." However, “when the full monogram is unprintable, though, you may want to think twice.”

Were initials a factor when you were naming your children? Did anyone make fun of your initials when you were growing up? Share your stories below.

--S.B.

Comments

August 19, 2011 11:06 PM

Yes. The first thing my husband's geeky friends pointed out when we announced her name was that the initials spelled a weapon. But I think that's pretty cool.

August 20, 2011 11:18 AM
By Another British Laura (not verified)

My initials weren't a problem until I was about 13 and the boys in my class at school found out they are L.E.S and started teasing me and suggesting my initials may determine my sexuality. t did not last for long though.

The initials are a consideration now that I'm thinking seriously about my future children with my current partner. His surname starts with F so the two family names I want to use- first two initials E.L and M.D- either spell 'elf' or are the same as a woodwork abbreviation 'M.D.F', so I am thinking of using two middle names.

August 20, 2011 5:01 PM

JFK and Jackie's firstborn who died was called Arabella Kennedy.

August 21, 2011 4:26 PM

My mother gave my brother and I matching initials. She lost her mother when she was 3, and she had no siblings. She always wanted one to have someone in the world to be connected to. So, she gave us matching initials, something to "connect" us when we became grown. We both love our initials, and they actually spell JAM and BJAM. When I was little my Dad would ask me what honey was made of, and I would say me. (Say my initials, bee jam. lol.) And we get called my our initials a lot by our families. (We're both grown and have our own families.) Your childrens initials are a good thing to consider when naming, I think. I vote cool for initials that spell something!

August 22, 2011 3:36 PM
By Sarah A (not verified)

I agree with the pp, I think initials that spell something are really cool. My own initials are SEA, and I have always loved that they spell a word :)

It's a bonus too that I'm a Pisces, so having initials that spell SEA was extra meaningful to me.

Invanka Trump's baby's initials were actually the first thing I noticed about her name!

August 22, 2011 4:47 PM

What's cool about ark? I don't see it, pleasr explain. Thanks!

August 23, 2011 12:33 AM
By Stephanie (not verified)

All of my cousins' and brother's initials sound like "ear" when you look at them. I am the only sar (well, sara when you take into acount my married, hyphenated name, which I think is kind of cool). But I was very happy to be the only SAR amongst, EER, EAR, EAR and EAR. Seriously. Made me feel like I was different in a good way. Initials are important. My parents tried really hard to find a name for my brother that they liked more than Eric, but they just couldn't do it. I will add that we have a very strong vowel as first name tradition in my family. My daughters initials are ARRA and ICRA. My oldest was just happenstance, my youngest was intentional. If we were going to have more girls I was even investigating Orielle and Emaena as potential firsts.

August 23, 2011 11:37 AM

the names I wanted for my child were going to spell ERR. That was a clear veto for me. I jettisoned the R middle name, used the E as a middle name and came up with a new first name: J. All because ERR was not going to fly.

August 24, 2011 12:42 PM
By Sharalyn (not verified)

We seriously considered Stephen (my dad's first name) as a middle name for my son Alexander. As soon as we looked at initials though, that was out at our last name starts with an S.

That S has eliminated many potential names that we would have liked. Isabella Rose, Patrick Matthew, Matthew Richard, Benjamin Matthew, etc.

I'm an RN, and we ended up changing our daughter's middle name at the last minute, which changed her initials, but it was going to be EMS, which I thought was kinda cool. :-)

August 24, 2011 3:12 PM

A few studies have found that initials with positive or negative meanings are associated with differences in longevity, for example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10576473.

August 24, 2011 3:19 PM

My 2 year old is Adelaide Rose last name starts with a C so her initials are ARC. We liked her initials but it wasn't something that Sealed or broke the deal for us. Although I did get flack for having M.F as mine in high school.

August 24, 2011 4:39 PM
By Pamela (not verified)

Unless the initials spell an undesirable word, I don't see the problem! My cousin Jen's initials spell JEN though, which I always thought was so fun!

August 24, 2011 5:19 PM

What's cool about ark? I don't see it, pleasr explain. Thanks!

Noah's Ark and the Ark of the Covenant

Ivanka Trump is a convert to Judaism, and ark is the English word for the cabinet that holds the Torah scrolls, the aron kodesh to give it its proper name.

August 24, 2011 8:15 PM
By katec (not verified)

We named our daughter Eva but always knew we were going to nn her Evie, so we chose Victoria as her mn so her initials would be EV.

August 25, 2011 6:22 AM
By Zoe (not verified)

Initials are a pain. For instance, my favorite girls name combination is Margaret Susannah but if I have a child soon their last initial will most likely be G. MSG, not so good.

I love Arabella Rose!

October 12, 2012 1:06 AM
By Altha Legg (not verified)

The baby's initials, based on those name tributes, were an added bonus.

March 9, 2013 6:29 PM

Are the initials ARM too bad? Most of the time for girls they do the first initial then last initial then middle initial so most of the time when monogrammed it would be aMr

May 10, 2016 2:07 PM
By anonymous (not verified)

give me a break all her kids are named after the kennedy's she thinks she is royalty, Arabella Rose is jackie o first daughter name, Rose is matriarch of Kennedy family, joseph frederick had to have JFK initials and Theodore, little Teddy, give me a break, just admit you are obsessed with the Kennedy's!

May 26, 2016 6:30 PM
By Edward (not verified)

My daughter is Arabella Sky. Her initials are A.S.K. and she loves it. She draws hearts with ASK in the center. FYI besides JFK and Jackie's daughter, the two spiders to go into space before man, were Anita and Arabella.

December 6, 2016 12:43 PM

The influence of Czech fairy tail -
Arabela was a children's television series produced in Czechoslovakia in 1979.