Kimberly Stewart's Baby Name: Hot Sound, or Bad Girl Appeal?

Kimberly Stewart's Baby Name: Hot Sound, or Bad Girl Appeal?
Fame Pictures

Kimberly Stewart and Benicio del Toro, who according to reps are not a couple, have welcomed a daughter named Delilah

Delilah is the first grandchild for Rod Stewart, who also became a father again for the 8th time this spring, when he welcomed son Aiden

Delilah, derived from the Hebrew for 'delicate' according to Teresa Norman's A World of Baby Names, is famous in the Bible for belonging to the beautiful, clever woman who deceived Samson and betrayed him to his enemies. That association notwithstanding, the name peaked in the 1880s, and has maintained a consistent presence on the popularity charts. And Delilah has seen her popularity skyrocket in the past four years, alongside Lila and her sisters.

Perhaps Delilah has the right sound at the right time, or perhaps it's as the Name Lady wrote, and the bad-girl connotation is part of the appeal.  The demure nickname Lila also offers a safety net for parents gunshy about the full Delilah.

For more on bad-guy Bible names used as baby names, read "Good Old Biblical Names" at our sister site, BabyNameWizard.com.

But don't forget the importance of songs, especially to the daughter of a musician. Delilah's been on her way up, but she made an especially huge leap in 2007. Which, it happens, was the year a band called Plain White Ts put out "Hey There, Delilah."

What do you think of Delilah? What other villainous names would you consider?

--L.R.

Comments

August 24, 2011 2:11 PM
By AnneE (not verified)

Makes me think of the Tom Jones' song ... but, I'm just showing my age here.

August 24, 2011 4:22 PM
By Pamela (not verified)

I like the name...I especially love the flow if she has Benecio's last name...Delilah del Toro sounds beautiful!

August 24, 2011 4:23 PM
By Pamela (not verified)

Benicio*

August 25, 2011 6:32 AM

love it!

August 25, 2011 9:53 AM
By elleireland (not verified)

People use the name Jonah a lot....he was really not the nicest character. Ran from God, almost swamped the ship, then decided the Ninevites weren't worthy of mercy and sulked over their rescue.

But I still love the name. For a boy.

August 25, 2011 2:04 PM
By Pamela (not verified)

Elleireland, I agree! Same with Jacob...not the best dude from the Bible! But it somehow managed to be the #1 name..

August 30, 2011 12:08 PM

Delilah wouldn't fly in Philadelphia, where a well known strip club called Delilah's advertises on huge billboards overlooking I-95. Too bad, because I like the sound of it.

September 1, 2011 4:29 PM
By Jude (not verified)

I love this name. I've been considering it myself.

March 30, 2013 4:24 PM
By Jessie Haroldson (not verified)

I gotta admit, I am more amazed by the so called generic spammer� than by the out and out spammer. You might ask why, at least the spammer is more open and honest with their spam! We can spot who they are. The so called generic commenter is a cheat and a fake! You can probably see that I have very strong opinions towards this group of people

September 8, 2014 7:00 AM
By click here (not verified)

Thank you for not rambling on and on just to fill the page.