Alyssa Milano's Baby Name is Hot, and Chocolatey

Alyssa Milano's Baby Name is Hot, and Chocolatey
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Alyssa Milano and her husband David Bugliari have welcomed a son, Milo Thomas.

Milo is of Germanic origin, and according to Teresa Norman's World of Baby Names, is either from a root meaning "mild, peaceful, calm" or one meaning "to beat, crush or rub until tender."

Milo, which was familiar at the turn of the century and peaked in the low 400s, spent a few decades off the charts in the 1960s through 90s. In the aughts, Milo's been leaping up the charts again, and is back again in the low 400s. With celebrities including Liv Tyler, Mel Gibson, Craig Ferguson and Ricki Lake choosing Milo, and with actor Milo Ventimiglia of Heroes as an association, this name is certainly going to get more popular.

Why does Milo appeal? It's familiar--connected to the name Miles (which Laura Wattenberg predicts will have fashion momentum in the coming decade)--but isn't ubiquitous. The "lo" ending for boy's names has never been hotter, with names like Angelo, Carmelo, Giancarlo, Deangelo, Pablo and Marcelo all on the rise.

As the exotic ring of those -lo names suggests, Milo seems a perfect candidate for global popularity: but there's a hitch. No, it's not that some people can't think of Milo without Otis. Rather, it's Milo, the chocolatey milk powder sold in green cans in Australia, Peru, Malaysia and Singapore, and even in some outlets in the US. According to Wikipedia, this popular energy drink was invented in 1934 by an Australian chemist, and named for "the famous Greek athlete Milo of Crotona, after his legendary strength." For Milo drinkers, it'd be like naming your kid Redbull.

Missed surname opportunity note: Wouldn't Milo Milano have been rad?

What do you think of Milo?

--L.R.

Comments

August 31, 2011 5:50 PM
By Kate (not verified)

I'm a Kiwi, and most people here wouldn't bat an eyelid at the use of the name Milo. Yep- we love the malty, chocolate drink, and it might be that it's a cause for a bit of giggling in the playground, but it is recognised as a name, and I don't think any young Kiwi or Ozzies would see it as odd.

August 31, 2011 8:11 PM
By Jennie

I was sort of assuming that Milo was a nod to mom's last name. Kind of like giving your child your maiden name as her first name.

August 31, 2011 8:16 PM
By Jennie

Also, I love the name Milo, but in high school in the 1980s whenever my friends and I didn't know the lyrics to a song -- or just wanted to have fun -- we would substitute in the name "Milo." Perhaps you remember tunes like "Let Milo Open the Door" by Pete Townshend or " Who Can It Be Milo?" by Men at Work?

September 1, 2011 10:38 AM
By Elisabeth (not verified)

I really like it. Names that end in -o are often, well, cool, and Milo is no exception. It's familiar but slightly edgy, easy to spell, easy to say, and distinctly masculine. What's not to like?

September 1, 2011 2:35 PM

I like the name Milo and I'm glad Alyssa chose a name for her son that won't make people think, "WTF? Stupid celebrity baby names!"

September 1, 2011 4:24 PM
By Jude (not verified)

I had no idea it was chocolate.
I like it.
Yah for Alyssa.

September 2, 2011 8:23 AM
By Stuart Rubenstein (not verified)

I think the name Milo is a cool name!! great name.

Stuartutut

September 3, 2011 5:27 PM
By Lisa (not verified)

I love Milo, yes I'm Australian :) I'm with Kiwi Kate, I think it's a great name as well as a yummy way to start and end the day.

September 6, 2011 11:50 AM

Love the name Milo, but the middle name combo immediately made me think of Marlo Thomas. Probably not a problem for most people - I'm probably showing my age **blush**

September 6, 2011 12:20 PM
By Cabo (not verified)

I think it's very nice. I immediately thought they removed the "an" from Milano and got Milo. Reminds me of Theo and Leo more than the -o names listed in the article. Tom Sizemore played "Milo" in the '90's movie Heart and Souls.

September 6, 2011 2:20 PM

I have a Milo, so of course I love the name. His official name is Miles, but no one calls him that. For my Milo's first birthday, we imported cans of the Milo drink to give away as favors. It was awesome!

September 6, 2011 2:32 PM
By Faith (not verified)

According to Alyssa (via twitter) "For all of you asking, "Milo" was named after his two Grandfathers, Miller and Thomas. Two very important men in my life."

Very sweet reason for the name & I like it because it's not overly common yet not totally out there.

September 6, 2011 9:49 PM

get your little milo a 'MAX AND RUBY' book or toy! check out the cute little beanie baby max and ruby toys available. us exchange rate is so good its worth getting these - cheaper than in nz and not even sure if you can get them here?

September 9, 2011 7:49 PM

my uncle and his dad were both MILOS.... i was searching family.....found a cuizn named NOQUAH/Noqah Elisi she has american indian ancestry.. an online friends daughter has a son and named him Dyon both unsual / but my young cuzin ..just gave birth as to a little girl they named TAYGHAN Ann Marie