Donald Trump, Jr. Picks a Divisive Baby Name, Again

Donald Trump, Jr. Picks a Divisive Baby Name, Again
Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Donald Trump, Jr. and his wife Vanessa have welcomed their third child, Tristan Milos Trump. Baby Tristan joins Donald John III and Kai Madison

Derived from the Old French Tristran, which is a form of the Gaelic Drystan for tumult or riot, Tristan was famously born by a medieval knight who fell in love with the king's intended, Isolde (also called Iseult). The tragic love story of Tristan and Isolde has been retold many times, including in a 2006 flick starring the ubiquitous James Franco. The name Tristan has found favor with modern parents, growing in popularity since it first appeared on the charts in the 1970s. The name spiked noticeably between 2005 and 2006, becoming a top-100 name for the first time. (Is this another baby name James Franco rescued?) In 2010, Tristan ranked at #84, a slight dip from its peak at #80 in 2009.

Tristan is also gaining popularity as a girl's name. In 2010, 99 girls were named Tristan, and 5 were named Tristany. (Compare this to the 4,854 boys named Tristan in 2010.) Big sister's name, Kai, is also androgynous-slanted-boy: 264 girls were named Kai in 2010, compared with 1720 boys.)

Kai and Tristan have something else in common: they have divisive names. When our sister site Baby Name Wizard published a controversially-named post on the "most hated" names in America, Tristan ranked on the boy's list at #7 -- a position it shared with Bentley. The reason given for the Tristan-hatred? It's "fakey" and "unlikeable." Meanwhile, Kai's middle name, Madison, was tied for #2 on the most-hated girl's list.

We don't quite get the hate; Tristan is an ancient name with a literary pedigree and twinkling sound. It's especially storied when it's paired with Milos: according to Behind the Name, Milos was "a 14th century Serbian hero who apparently killed the Ottoman sultan Murad 1 at the Battle of Kosovo." Milos--often pronounced MEE-loash--brings international flavor to the Milo trend.

On the other hand, Tristan Trump? Hm.

What do you think of Tristan Milos? Of Tristan Trump? Of Tristan, Donnie and Kai as a sibset? Tell us below.

--L.R.

Comments

October 3, 2011 8:12 PM
By Den (not verified)

I quite like Tristan, but it doesnt really go with Trump.

And I wish every blog would stop talking about it as a girls name, it isnt, and its not even that popular for girls to warrant a discussion. You dont see when a girl is named Addison that 100 boys were named Addison too or whatever.

October 4, 2011 12:58 AM

Ummm okay I think the above poster needs to review and revise before posting as I cant even understand the point they are trying to make regarding Addison.

As far as mentioning the completely wreckless and MISLEADING article written by Ms. Wattenberg, dont. Read the article and then read it again and then you will see that she listed the names as most hated with a mere 5-6 people saying they hated the name. Sorry but that doesnt constitute any kind of validity and I will never EVER be a fan of Wattenberg after her clear misuse of being an author. She is fraud just as the author James Frye of a million little peices is and Oprah fried him, no pun intended!

As far as Tristen Trump, its not a good flow, the Tr and Tr is what throws it off. I view Tristen as a male name, it doesnt sound feminine to my ears. I like Kai as a girls name. I think that by looking at the Trump sibset, its clear that the rich dont try and impress with their baby names,they just pick whatever they like because they have nothing to prove.

I think Milo Trump would have sounded better.

October 4, 2011 11:56 AM
By Kira (not verified)

Laura Wattenburg is an outstanding, insightful writer, appreciated by many, including me. The above poster, in addition to refraining from flaming, would benefit from learning how to use apostrophes.

The assertion that rich people choose names without regard for their appeal to others, is a grand generalization; however, Donald Jr.'s baby name choices appear to be an example of this.

October 4, 2011 12:45 PM
By Essy (not verified)

the name Tristan reminds me of Brad Pitt's character in Legends of the Fall - I was really obsessed with the name when I was a kid because of that movie but it's kind of lost its interest for me now - but I also really love the story of Tristan and Iseult/Isolde - in Le Mort D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory his name is actually Tristram which I also like, it reminds me of Bertram - for that style of name.

I like the name but I also think it depends on how you pronounce it. I say it Tris-tan, but I know a lot of people rhyme it with Christian so it has a kind of "-jin" ending instead.

don't really like the flow of Tristan Milos Trump or Tristan Trump but meh i'm not a big worrier about those things. Milos is an awesome name, reminds me of Seinfeld "Another game for Milos!"

October 4, 2011 2:08 PM

Tristan Trump sounds cool!

October 4, 2011 3:01 PM

grammar*

October 4, 2011 5:02 PM

Chill out...

October 4, 2011 8:56 PM
By Monica (not verified)

I have to agree with the angry poster, the article wasnt valid, the title was inaccurate and even Laura Wattenberg said such at the time, so for the poster who was attacking the other one with saying her kids were probably named one of the names from the list, would that be so bad? You said it as a slam. Not cool, its clear you were trying to turn this into a blog fight.

October 4, 2011 9:11 PM

No one even knows who Laura Wattenberg is. She has a few loyal followers and that's it, she lost alot of creditability and followers when she wrote that article. She no different from James Frye. He mislead his audience and he got fried by Oprah, oh wouldn't it have been glorious to have seen Oprah do the same to Wattenberg and put her on the hot seat. Do I like some of the names on the list? Yes, and so does a large percentage of America. The names aren't the most hated and that is my point! Having 6 people out of 1500 mention something negative about a name, does not constitute it being labeled one of the most hated names in America! She was very stupid to do that and turn thousands upon thousands of parents against her and thus against ever buying one of her books again. The articles that spawned from her one article were in the hundreds, because it went viral on the web, and its the first time ANY baby name author ever declared a most hated names list, lets face it baby name authors just don't do that. Hows my grammer, grammer police?

October 4, 2011 10:20 PM
By Pamela S (not verified)

I love the name Tristan so much that I have used it on two parakeets (boys) for whom it seems especially applicable since it roughly means noisy. As much as I love the name though, I would be disinclined use it on a child, just seems too fru-fru, maybe even bratty, to me. That said, I do know a little boy named Tristan. It was something his mother insisted on. The dad, an ultra-masculine retired Special Forces warrior, calls the boy "Trizzo", which suits the little daddy-clone much better than Tristan.

October 5, 2011 12:57 AM
By Anne (not verified)

Kai and Tristan were also both medieval knights. Maybe they just really like medieval knight names, lol!

October 5, 2011 8:32 AM
By Jennie

Please note: Some comments have been removed from this thread due to Terms of Use violations.

October 5, 2011 4:16 PM
By Melissa (not verified)

I enjoy Laura's writing and I enjoyed the post being referred to here, but personal preference aside, I don't at all see how she "misled" her readers or how she's in any way comparable to James Frey. The man is a liar. Period. Laura Wattenberg, on the other hand, spent some time researching a concept (albeit informally with a relatively small sample size) and then presented her findings. She was also incredibly transparent about exactly how she got the numbers and admitted from the beginning that it was not a science, but rather a topic up for discussion. She probably could have chosen a less salacious title, but if you chose to read the title and the list of names and nothing more, then you really have no justifiable right to be angry.

October 5, 2011 10:47 PM

Melissa~ regarding your remark: "She probably could have chosen a less salacious title, but if you chose to read the title and the list of names and nothing more, then you really have no justifiable right to be angry."
This is my whole point...I did read the article, and the content and the title was misplaced, therefore I have every right to be angry. Most importantly MOST people who don't have alot of time, did read the title and the list and didn't bother with the fine details, MOST would assume that the title is going to be valid to the content. The problem I have is that it wasn't valid. Further, MOST, if not all of the hundreds of articles which spawned from her article, DID take the title and the list and ignored the rest of the details. THAT is why I'm angry. She knew that a title like that would bring major attention and publicity, and that is why she is comparable to James Frye, she mislead everyone with the title of that article. She isn't a credible baby name author and I will never buy one of her books again. In closing, its not the readers responsibility to read every detail and then understand /figure out that the title of the article isn't really as it seems, come on....isn't it the authors responsibility to title an article accordingly and not mislead her readers? Its okay to be loyal to Wattenberg, but it isn't okay to blindly support being misleading to everyone. Many of her own supporters on her blog, disagreed with that article. Lets not get into a blog war, you aren't going to change my mind and I wont change yours.

November 15, 2012 10:46 AM

December 23, 2012 3:27 PM

Just my personal opinion but I really dislike this name! I hate the meaning & the pronunciation! Even worse if a girl is named tristan!
I know a Tristan Grocott & just think it sounds so awful!

March 1, 2013 4:23 PM

Tristan is a disgusting name & Tristan Trump I actually do not know what to say

March 1, 2013 4:24 PM

I can't stand this name especially with last name trump omg

March 1, 2013 4:27 PM

Tristan Grocott/Tristan Trump lol

I am very happy I was nice to my children

March 3, 2013 4:53 PM

My brother is Tristan & I've never liked it but each to their own
Other people may not like names I like

April 27, 2013 4:07 PM

Tristan is an I couldn't be bothered to think of a better name for my son kind of name lol
The pronounciatin is odd & I just hate it.Everytime I hear that somebody has named their son tristan I personally think WHY???
There are so many nicer names out there but that's just my (strong I know) opinion

July 23, 2013 3:14 AM
By Excited mumma (not verified)

I thought of the name tristan for the baby boy I am carrying
After reading the history of this name & the meanings I am totally put off & I have chosen something much more beautiful

July 26, 2013 4:39 PM

I just typed in the name tristan because I hate somebody who named their son tristan and I am glad lots of people dislike it as she thinks its fab

August 19, 2013 4:35 PM

lol

September 30, 2013 3:36 PM

The baby is already born...

Tristan will never be a good name & just because your famous your name doesn't become nice if its an ugly name like tristan trump or tristan grocott
I'm not sure if they even named the baby tristan hopefully not.