Curtis Stone and Lindsay Price Baby Name: More Popular Than You Think

Curtis Stone and Lindsay Price Baby Name: More Popular Than You Think

Australian celebrity chef and Top Chef Masters host Curtis Stone and his wife, actress Lindsay Price, have welcomed a son. The Australian Herald Sun reports that his name is Hudson.

Hudson, some of you are thinking. That's nice. There's the river association, which is calming, plus the old automobiles, which is cool. The name Hudson is vintage too, having appeared sporadically on the bottom of the charts between 1881 and 1919.

Plus, it has that last name thing going for it, for a little Hollywood glamour (Kate Hudson, Rock Hudson). Prior to baby Price Stone, Hudson has been chosen for several celebrity babies.  It's familiar, but seems unusual. It's strong. And we bet this name is a lot more popular than you think it is. Go ahead and guess, we'll wait.

Have your guess? Well, in 2010, Hudson ranked #138, just one spot behind Miles. Hudson ranked higher than celebrity favorites Asher, Easton and Oscar. Also? Hudson's going higher, hot on the heels of Grayson and Bryson. Will they soon overtake Mason as the most popular -son names? (Actually, we wrote about this before, when Drew Lachey had his Hudson last year.)

We don't want to overstate things; Hudson is not yet a top-100 name. However, it's clearly on the way up. What this tells us? People like this name.

What do you think of Hudson?

--L.R.

Comments

November 22, 2011 9:43 PM

I'd have thought the Bruce Willis turkey Hudson Hawke would have been enough to knock it back a notch. I'm pretty sure Margaret Mahy used it in her book Catalogue of the Universe, which included such memorably named characters as Angela May, and her mother Dido, and Tycho Potter and his sister Africa. (Hudson, I think, was Africa's husband.) The Potter children all had one "common" name and one "odd" one, so Africa Rosemary preferred to be known as "Africa", while Richard November (the other child) used "Richard". Can't remember what Tycho's other name was.

November 23, 2011 11:53 AM
By Erinne (not verified)

Very timely, as I was just talking to a mom of a Hudson who was saying that she's been surprised at how often she's heard the name. I like it a lot and I'm pretty sick of Mason, so I hope it's headed up.

November 23, 2011 4:23 PM

I've really liked the name Hudson since I watched Ugly Betty and the magazine Alex Meade was editor-in-chief for before he "died" was called Hudson. When I heard it, I loved it and thought it was a fantastic name. I like it!

November 25, 2011 1:11 AM
By Juli (not verified)

My stepmother-in-law has a grandson (age 3 1/2) named Hudson. (His 2-year-old cousin is Lincoln.) I don't much care for surnames as given names, although the tradition in English is older than most people realize. (Think Queen Elizabeth. The first one.)

The weirdest part for me about the name of my step-nephew is that he and his parents live in upstate New York, less than half an hour's drive from the Hudson River.

But Hudson is still better than the names of the (identical) twin boys, age 2, who live across the street from me: Mason and Jackson. I keep wanting to call one of them Dixon. I haven't gotten up the courage to ask their parents whether they really thought things through when they chose Mason for a twin boy...

November 29, 2011 2:41 PM
By hyz (not verified)

Funny, I had this same realization about Hudson awhile back. Surname and place names are not exactly my style, and I am weary of the common Jackson and Greyson types, but Hudson seems to strike just the right note. It sounds a bit rugged, but not too wild west macho, it has a nice nature association which can be hard to find in boys' names, and it sounds both friendly and a bit preppy. In short, I love it. Apparently, many others agree based on the numbers, which I was both surprised and disappointed to see. It's still on my long list, and is actually less common than the name I chose for my son, but I do worry how fast this one will trend up, and whether it might begin to sound as dated as Logan and Jackson, etc.

November 29, 2011 2:43 PM
By hyz (not verified)

Juli--pretty funny about Mason and Dixon. Actually, Dixon might have some appeal, although nns could be a problem (Dick? Dix? Dixie?)....

November 29, 2011 5:10 PM
By Ellie'smom (not verified)

I don't tend to love surnames, but I've liked Hudson for years and would consider using it on a boy if it weren't for the fact that two of my friends recently chose it - one as a first name, and one as a middle name. Also (for what it's worth) I know a female Hudson who is in college now, and I've met a preschooler little girl named Hudson too.

November 29, 2011 5:10 PM

An Australian couple I knew named their son Hudson because he was born during the time that they lived in Montreal and they wanted to give him a name that connected him to their time in Canada. I actually like it a lot.

October 15, 2012 1:00 AM
By Birgit Embry (not verified)

it's clearly on the way up. What this tells us? People like this name.