Roselyn Sánchez and Eric Winter Welcome Daughter Sebella Rose

Roselyn Sánchez and Eric Winter Welcome Daughter Sebella Rose
Photo Credit: Juan Rico/Fame Pictures

Actress Roselyn Sánchez from Without a Trace and The Mentalist's Eric Winter welcomed daughter Sebella Rose early yesterday morning. The proud new parents dispatched matching tweets soon after, “Welcome to the world beautiful Sebella Rose Winter! Mami and Daddy adore you!”

Sebella is an original choice for the couple and it looks to us like a variation on Isabella, one of the most popular names this past decade, and ranked #1 in both 2009 and 2010. Like another slightly different variation Sabella and the similar Sybella, Sebella also follows two naming trends. It joins the “bell” trend with names like Sarabella, Elizabella and so forth, tacking on –bel, -bella and –belle to the ends of familiar beginnings to create completely new names. Sebella is also reminiscent of the trend to lop off the first letter of more popular names to make for a more original one, like the newly popular Addison or Adelyn.

Sebella also joins a spate of celebrity babies with the middle name “Rose” and the name primairily reminds of us of Arabella Rose Kushner, born this past July to Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner. However, the combination of the delicate and vernal sounding Sebella Rose with Eric’s last name Winter flows particularly nicely.

What do you think of the name Sebella? Do you think it will become as popular as other -bella names?

--A.F.

Comments

January 5, 2012 8:01 PM
By Hanna (not verified)

Is it bad that all I can think is Ernie Sabella? A.k.a. Pumbaa?

January 5, 2012 10:31 PM

Sybylla (slightly different pronunciation; not Bella with an "add-on) has been a favorite of mine since I first heard it as the main character's name in the movie, My Brilliant Career" from 1979. Glad a version of it finally made an appearance.

January 5, 2012 10:56 PM
By Carol O. (not verified)

I don't LOVE it, sounds a little bit dermatological for me. However, it is okay and better than some of the other choices out there. I definitely LOVE the combo with Rose Winter.

January 6, 2012 1:36 AM
By OakStreet (not verified)

Eh...I'm not a fan of made up names, including Sebella. Why not Rose Sebella Winter? Rose Winter is a lovely name.

January 10, 2012 12:40 AM
By Juli (not verified)

My first thought was Sebell, the (male) character in Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.

January 10, 2012 7:03 PM
By Tarmie (not verified)

Am I the only one who thinks "rubella" (as in the disease) with all these "-bella/-belle" names that are popping up all over the joint? :|
Clearly, I'm not a fan. XD

September 13, 2013 6:26 AM
By web design baroda (not verified)

Good efforts of many more readers waiting for you this article.TKS!

February 18, 2014 1:48 AM
By Lana (not verified)

Not really my favorite name, but I think it will be more and more popular with time, because of these celebrities.