How Dolly Parton Ended Up Naming Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell's Daughter

How Dolly Parton Ended Up Naming Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell's Daughter
Wendy Williams Show

Rebecca Romijn has talked about how her love of Dolly Parton inspired the name of one of her twin daughters with Jerry O'ConnellDolly Rebecca Rose O’Connell — but we didn't know the funny details behind the story until now.

"I'm lifelong Dolly Parton fan," Rebecca said during a joint interview with her husband on the Wendy Williams Show this week. “I just absolutely adore her. And when I was seven months pregnant, I had the opportunity to go to Dollywood and see her perform. I was invited to meet her before the show — I was with my best friend and we were sitting with her on her bus —and she was asking about my pregnancy and the idea of having twin girls and she asked what I going to name them. And I just blurted out — without talking about it with Jerry at all — 'I'm thinking of naming one of them Dolly after you.'"

Needless to say, the country singer was touched. Make that: thrilled.

Rebecca continued: “She said, 'Oh my gosh, I would be so honored. Dolly is not short for anything. I was born as Dolly. Oh, please do that! Please do that!’” Later, during the show, “Dolly dedicated 'Little Sparrow' to us, saying, ‘This is a song about girls. This is for my friend Rebecca and her little girl.'”

But Dolly’s part in the baby naming didn’t end there.

“About a week later, I got a letter from her,” Rebecca recalled. “It said: I forgot to tell you when you were here that my middle name is Rebecca and it would be so awesome if you named her Dolly Rebecca after you and me together.' So I did!"

Luckily Jerry liked it and the name was a done deal! For their other daughter they went with the boy name trend and named her after Jerry's younger brother, The Bachelor's Charlie O'Connell. The little girl's full name is Charlie Tamara Tulip O'Connell.

Find out more about the name Dolly here.

Was your name — or a name that you gave to a child (or pet!) — inspired by a singer or musician like Rebecca and Jerry's daughter Dolly was? If so, please share it below.

--S.B.

Comments

February 17, 2012 10:51 PM
By SuzyB (not verified)

My aunt named her cat after Arlo Guthrie.

February 18, 2012 11:59 PM
By Katie

I would name my daughter anything Dolly Parton asked me to name her! Joking...sort of.

February 20, 2012 6:43 PM
By Stephanie (not Steffy) (not verified)

My friend was named Lonna, a name that her mom started to like after hearing the name on Lana Turner, but not liking the spelling because she did not think that it allowed people to understand how it was pronounced. So, she changed the name to Lonna and hasn't looked back since :)

February 21, 2012 2:05 PM
By hyz (not verified)

So funny--I'm a Dolly fan too. I wouldn't go so far as to name my baby after her, but I saw Dolly's comments on Beyonce's baby name, and she said something to the effect of, "I'm so happy for them, and Ivy is a really great name." I didn't know if omitting comment on the Blue part was intentional, but her comment gave me a little thrill, since my daughter's name is Ivy and I felt like it had just gotten a real Dolly seal of approval. ;)

February 21, 2012 2:11 PM
By Paula (not verified)

Current cat and only pet is named Mitzi after actress Mitzi Kapture of "Silk Stalkings" and "Baywatch" fame, and I learned that Mitzi Kapture was named after Mitzi Gaynor.

Last cat was Ashley, and she was a gift from a friend who was a big "Gone With The Wind" fan, hence, the name.

A cat I got around the time of the Willie Nelson-Julio Iglesias duet "To All The Girls I've Loved Before" was named Julio.

February 21, 2012 2:20 PM

SuzyB, I'm cracking up because my aunt and uncle recently named their cat Arlo for Arlo Guthrie, too!

My dad used to have turtles named Pancho and Lefty from the song (we know the Willie Nelson version best).

February 21, 2012 11:15 PM
By Namestory (not verified)

My daughter is named Vienna, partly after my favorite singer Vienna Teng. It is a stage name for her, not her given first name. And she partly chose it for the city Vienna being known as the city of music. I too am a musician, so this reason appealed to me as well. Plus, it's an awesome name!!

February 22, 2012 12:36 AM
By Anne (not verified)

All my daughters have a musical connection to their names, either a song or a singer. Our second's middle name is Niamh after Niamh Parsons. We'll probably use Cara Alison for a future child (should we be blessed with enough daughters-it's several down on the list) which is after Cara Dillon and Alison Krauss.

July 24, 2012 4:39 AM
By fashionweekinn (not verified)

Thanks for sharing this useful information! Hope that you will continue with

November 5, 2012 1:18 AM
By Sari Plante (not verified)

you named her Dolly Rebecca after you and me together.