Was Jessica Simpson's Baby Name Just Revealed?

Was Jessica Simpson's Baby Name Just Revealed?
Fame/Flynet

In Touch reports that Jessica Simpson's baby name has been leaked and although it wasn't on our list, it isn't out of the realm of possibility for Jessica and fiancé Eric Johnson. The couple reportedly chose the name Maxwell for their baby girl due next month. After Jessica's nude photo shoot and interview with Elle magazine a couple of weeks ago, in which she says the name would be "nontraditional," but "nothing shocking and nothing you'll have to add to the dictionary," there has been a good deal of speculation.

Maxwell is certainly not a name that needs to be added to the name book. It is a consistently popular boy's name and on the rise in recent years, but it is nontraditional as a girl's name. However, Maxwell for girls seems to be less unusual these days. Just two months ago another celebrity, Lindsay Sloane, chose Maxwell for her new daughter

The source responsible for outing the name claims that Jessica and Eric tried out a bunch before coming to an agreement. Even the name "Zinfandel" was among the rejected. But, the article reports, Jessica wanted "a name with meaning" and Maxwell, as both Eric's middle name and his grandmother's maiden name, fit the bill. Apparently Jessica has also been recently seen wearing an "M" pendant, which lends the story a little more credibility.

Since we always pegged Jessica as as one to pick a girly name, we are not surprised to learn that the couple plans to call their daughter Maxi, for short. Maxie used to be a popular name for both boys and girls, but since the rise of the maxi pad, the name has fallen out of favor. Maxie or Maxi could be on its way back though. Besides the occasional grandmother, who says maxi pad anymore? It certainly didn't stop the naming of the iPad.

Although we didn't pinpoint Maxwell, we could see it as a possibility, especially with a feminine nickname. It fits in with the trend of boy names "going girl". In her Elle interview, Jessica even expressed her anxiety that her little girl will turn out to be athletic like her dad, instead of more fashion savvy: "I swear, I will croak if she asks me for a pair of Nikes instead of Christian Louboutins!"

Do you think Maxwell is Jessica's baby name? What do you think of Maxwell for a boy? What about Maxi as a nickname?

--A.F.

Comments

March 15, 2012 11:57 AM

Maxi is ripe for the teasing - Maxi pad. Max would be better.

March 15, 2012 9:52 PM
By Sebalek (not verified)

I'm sorry, I'm 30 and when I hear "maxi" I think maxi pad. Pads may not be the most popular feminine hygiene product anymore, but to assume children will not make that connection at some point is silly.

Maxwell is IN NO WAY feminine (though nontraditional for a girl) & Maxie is even less appealing. I doubt "not shocking" is really the best way to describe this pick if it is indeed the name they go with.

March 16, 2012 12:36 PM

Maxi pads are still referred to as such by the companies that make them, both on the product themselves and in the commercials. So it is still a term that is used.

Even without that, I don't like Maxi as a nickname.

March 16, 2012 2:49 PM
By Jane (not verified)

Oh good grief, is there ANY name not going to the girls?!! At this rate, I will have no names left on my boys list!

March 17, 2012 8:23 PM

You can still name boys any name you want, even ones that are used by girls.

I don't like the name Maxwell for anyone, boy or girl.

March 19, 2012 3:41 PM
By Wilhelm (not verified)

Though I'm not really a fan of the full name Maxwell, Max as a girls name has kind of intrigued me lately thanks to Two Broke Girls. Kat Dennings makes it work.

March 21, 2012 9:21 AM

I think Maxie is really cute, but Maxwell is much too masculine for a girl (even as just a given name). Maxine would be better (and then call her Maxie).

March 21, 2012 9:14 PM

Maxi pads. That's all I think of. Maybe Maxine - even though that is a bit old-fashioned, would be better.

March 22, 2012 12:59 AM
By A girl with 2 boy names (not verified)

I like Maxwell. Any question as to its appropriateness for a girl is rendered irrelevant by the family connection. Giving daughters (and sons) family surnames as first names is common and traditional all over the US. Had there been no family connection it would have come off as odd, but the combination of the sweet story and a just-barely-feminine sound makes it just delightful to me.

Maxwell is not too far off soundwise from girls' names like Danielle & others in the "elle" family, and it's certainly more contemporary-sounding than Maxine.

Max as a nickname isn't too far-out either - there have been girls called Alex/Alix for ages, for example, and there has been a burst of female Sams and Charlies lately.

I agree that Maxi is terrible. Hopefully someone close to little Maxwell's parents will text them a photo of the feminine care aisle at the local drugstore before the nickname gets set in stone!

March 22, 2012 5:19 AM
By Baby Names (not verified)

I am really very excited to know the name of world renowned pop singer’s baby. Millions of congratulations in advance to Jessica Simpson. If you want to know name meaning of baby, go for Babynology.com