Confirmed: Bruce Willis Baby Name Is No Rumer

Confirmed: Bruce Willis Baby Name Is No Rumer
Photo Credit: Faem/Flynet. Bruce Willis With Wife Emma Hemmings-Willis and Daughter Rumer Willis

No joke, it's another girl for Bruce Willis.  The action hero and his wife Emma Hemmings-Willis welcomed their first child together, a baby girl named Mabel Ray Willis, on April Fool's Day, this past Sunday.

Baby Mabel joins half-sisters Rumer, Scout and Tallulah, Willis's daughters from his marriage to Demi Moore.

The name Mabel feels like a good fit with her sisters' quirky, old fashioned names, though Rumer, Scout and Tallulah are decidedly more out-there names; none of the older girls' names has ever made an appearance in the Top 1000 baby names in the U.S.

Mabel, on the other hand, was uber-popular in the 19th Century and remained popular for the early decades of the 20th Century. By the 1940s, Mabel had fallen to #366. It's been 50 years since the name Mabel has been on the popularity charts, though it is enjoying a quiet resurgence and we wouldn't be surprised to see it break back into the top-1000 this decade.

The name Mabel may have seemed out of the question 15 years ago, but that was before Mad About You characters Paul and Jamie famously named their daughter Mabel, citing the acronym "Mothers Always Bring Extra Love" as inspiration.

Mabel shares the popular -el ending with hit names Isabel and Ariel. And it's popularity trajectory reminds us of once-dated-now-trendy up-and-comer Hazel

In the past few years celebs have been jumping on the Mabel bandwagon. Chad Lowe named his daughter Mabel in 2009.

As for the middle name Ray, dare we suggest that it is joining the ranks of celebrity go-to middle names, right up there with Grace, Rose and Ann? Dermot Mulroney's daughter, born in 2009 shares both a first and middle name with Mabel Ray Willis.

How do you like Mabel as an addition to the Willis sibling set? And what's up with Ray?  Is it the stealth middle name we almost missed?

--J.B.

Comments

April 2, 2012 9:31 PM

I like the name Mabel. Ray is fine, though a bit boring.

April 2, 2012 11:05 PM

My 17-month old daughter is Mabel Susannah. I sure hope his using this name doesn't make it fly up the charts. :(

April 3, 2012 8:35 AM
By Annee (not verified)

Oooh ... Mabel Susannah ... so pretty. I think Mabel is really sweet; not a huge fan of Ray, but the whole name together is nice. Of course, it always makes me think of "Mabel Mabel strong and able, keep your elbows off the table," but that too is kind of sweet ... ;-)

April 3, 2012 10:24 AM
By Angela Dawn (not verified)

Mabel Susannah is very pretty.

I can definitely see Mabel coming back soon. I prefer Mabel over her half-sister's name, which are just too strange for me. Plus Rumer sounds too close to Rumor, which isn't the most positive word.

April 3, 2012 12:04 PM
By Maranda (not verified)

Mabel was always on my girls' lists. I only ended up with one girl and went with the equally old fashioned Penelope Hazel instead. Still have a soft spot for Mabel though!

April 3, 2012 1:30 PM

Sorry. Didn't like it when it was used on Mad About You, and haven't warmed to its old-lady vibe that I know is growing in popularity. It's far from awful and there are way worse names out there, but it just doesn't do it for me. And as for Ray? To me it feels more like a last named used to honour someone's maiden name, which makes me like it more, even if that isn't the case.

April 3, 2012 3:54 PM
By Jane (not verified)

Love the name Mabel. Not sure about Mabel Ray. Jason Bateman's Mabel Sylvie was a much better combo, even if it did remind me of Maple Syrup!!

April 3, 2012 3:55 PM
By mk (not verified)

I like Mabel quite a lot, much more than some of the old-fashioned names that seem to be coming back in style. Ray just seems like a filler name to me.

I never minded his other daughters' names. Scout was the only one I disliked, even though I liked the reference.

April 3, 2012 5:03 PM

Sorry but Bateman's daughter is named Maple, not Mabel. As for Mabel, I can't stand the name, I just don't get the appeal.

April 3, 2012 5:05 PM

I don't think Mabe l fits at all with his other daughters names. Those names have a hippy vibe whereas Mabel as a geriatric vibe.

April 4, 2012 7:10 PM
By Jane (not verified)

Oh wow, no wonder I think Maple Syrup if the name is Maple Sylvie!! LOL! Mabel Sylvie would be much nicer.

July 5, 2012 6:14 AM
By Haydee Quezada (not verified)

The name Mabel may have seemed out of the question 15 years ago.

April 27, 2013 2:40 AM
By Hoi an travel (not verified)

Why ?.."I like the name Mabel. Ray is fine, though a bit boring."