The Rumors Were True! Jessica Simpson Names Daughter Maxwell Drew

The Rumors Were True! Jessica Simpson Names Daughter Maxwell Drew
Fame/Flynet

Jessica Simpson gave birth to a long-awaited baby girl early this morning. She and finance, NFL player Eric Johnson, welcomed Maxwell Drew Johnson

The name was leaked, it turns out correctly, over a month ago by In Touch and seemed plausible given that Maxwell is both unusual, since it's traditionally a boys name, and meaningful -- Maxwell is Eric's middle name.

Although the choice is a little surprising for the ultra girly Jessica Simpson since Maxwell and Drew are both traditionally male names, more and more celebrities are using androgynous or typically male names for their baby girls. Linsday Sloane even chose Maxwell for her daughter earlier this year. In Jessica and Eric's case though, the name Maxwell Drew was inspired by two women. Maxwell was also Eric's grandmother's maiden name and Drew is Jessica's mother Tina's maiden name.

Back in March, when Maxwell was first leaked, the articles mentioned that Jessica intended to nickname her little girl Maxi, for short. We haven't seen that reported this time around, but we will soon see if they call her Max, Maxi or Maxie. It looks like names with X run in the family too. Maxwell and cousin Bronx Mowgli, Ashlee Simpson's son, go together nicely.

What do you think of Maxwell Drew? Now that two celebrities have chosen Maxwell, might it become a more popular girl's name? What nickname would you choose for a girl named Maxwell?

--A.F.

Comments

May 1, 2012 1:14 PM
By shadelit (not verified)

I don't particularly like the name, personally. It wouldn't be my favorite for a boy, and for a girl it sounds heavy, awkward. I'm not a stylistic fan of using such masculine boys names for girls, particularly for all of the names rather than just one...
That being said, I don't consider this a name fail at all. I was prepared to hate it but shrug it off as another trend, but I do like the idea of honoring family, and the fact that both Maxwell and Drew hearken back to real ancestors instead of just following a trend totally saves the name for me.

May 1, 2012 1:35 PM
By lothelena (not verified)

I'm not a fan, especially of using two traditionally boys' names. I'm not a fan of the nickname Maxi either. Ironically, I think the name Maxine is fine, with a nickname of Max which sounds even more masculine! But, Jessica Simpson doesn't have to care what I think, it has meaning for them (which I consider important) and it could have been a lot worse.

May 1, 2012 2:58 PM
By Danica (not verified)

Not a fan of the name Maxwell for a girl but happy for them! A bit bizarre that Drew is her ex-brother-in-law's name. I know it has meaning to her being that it's a family name but still strange to me.

May 1, 2012 2:59 PM
By Sebalek (not verified)

Mmmhhh...it's okay. Maxwell Drew Johnson is a little odd between the mn and ln transition and sort of screams "we really thought you were going to come out a boy" imo, but they could've done much worse.

And JS has some pretty un-girly habits, so it's not really all that surprising, though I wouldn't call this an androgynous name by any means. Drew could maybe go either way, but Maxwell? Uh, no...

May 1, 2012 3:31 PM
By Anon (not verified)

I don't like the name, but I don't like the name Maxwell on boys either. I do like that it has a family connection that is important to them. She could go by Max or her middle name, Drew, which are both better than Maxi.

I don't find it odd that the middle name is also her ex brother-in-law's name. It's not an unusual name and he is her ex-in-law, not her ex-husband.

May 1, 2012 3:39 PM
By Denym (not verified)

Fine name, had she been a BOY. Maxwell Drew looks and sounds 100% like a boys name, the poor girl. If she wanted to use those names, she should've waited til she had a boy, like normal people would do.

May 1, 2012 4:54 PM

I would have preferred Drew Maxwell, since Drew isa a name that can go either way (Drew Barrymore, Dru)

May 2, 2012 5:28 AM

I'm not personally a fan, but I love that it's meaningful which for me is the most important part of a name. I like Max and Maxi for a girl but Maxwell is a little much. And for me the key to unisex names is adding a more masculine or feminine name to the middle, so I think Maxwell Drew is a little to boyish for me. I'm suprised! Jessica's usually super girly.

May 2, 2012 12:38 PM
By Em (not verified)

I don't think the fact Jessica Simpson is "super girly" makes any difference to the name she chooses for her daughter.

I'm a massive tomboy, yet I seem to only like very feminine, pretty, classic names. I really dislike unisex names or anything remotely boy-ish for a little girl, so I personally would never dream of using Maxwell Drew, but I don't think the fact Jessica is famously girly has anything to do with it - you like the names you like and although I agree both names scream "boy", she and her fiancé had some lovely reasons behind their choices and I respect that.

May 2, 2012 4:20 PM

Poor Maxwell is going to be teased mercilessly with "Maxi Pad" and "Max Johnson" when she's in school. Just because it's a family name doesn't make it suitable for a girl.

May 3, 2012 1:45 AM
By themodelsworldwide (not verified)

The Rumors Were True! Jessica Simpson Names Daughter Maxwell Drew.

May 8, 2012 12:27 PM
By Susan (not verified)

While I understand both Maxwell and Drew have been used for girls, both names seem solidly in the "boy name" camp. Seeing that name on a class list, almost anyone would guess that the child was a boy. My guess is that this will end up being displeasing to the girl.

It also puts the parents in an challenging position choosing a name for their next child. If they have another girl, they will have to decide if they will make the names coordinated by choosing two more boy names. If they have a boy, they may try to find a name that in some way seems more boyish than "Maxwell Drew -- or perhaps they will chose a name used almost exclusively for girls.

My guess is that the parents may have some name regrets over this choice.

May 8, 2012 6:55 PM
By Marina (not verified)

I like the name Maxwell for a girl, but I have always favored boys' names for girls. Kind of reminds me of Campbell McCoy from Bonfire of the Vanities, which would be my super secret baby girl name if it wasn't also the last name of a former boyfriend. Or is that okay to do?

May 8, 2012 8:08 PM

Ouch. Is it too much to ask that the girl have one less-androgynous name to fall back on just in case she hates this?

May 8, 2012 11:57 PM

It's just weird to have SUCH a masculine name for a girl...at the very least, they could have given her a frilly middle name. Reminds me of the utter masculine Jagger Joseph Blue, daughter of Soleil Moon Frye. Sad, IMO. Nice girls, all of them, I'm sure, however! Parents' prerogative!

April 2, 2013 6:47 AM
By jamesmichelson (not verified)

August 20, 2013 6:19 AM
By allen (not verified)

This article is really useful and have been looking for some information on this topic....!!!