Roses, Roses Everywhere - In The Middle At Least

Regular readers may have noticed that every few weeks NameCandy posts on yet another celebrity baby with the middle name of Rose. The name has become a ubiquitous middle name among celebrity babies, which is a bit surprising given how often celebrities choose unique and unusual names for their children.

The most recent of these celebrity babies was born to a family who is very dedicated to the name Rose. Reality stars Rob and Amber Mariano welcomed their third daughter last month named Isabetta Rose. Isabetta joins older sisters Lucia Rose and Carina Rose.

PEOPLE magazine reports that the middle name Rose is a tradition for the Mariano family and they decided early on that they wanted all of their daughters to share the same middle name. Apparently it is also a tradition on Rob's side of the family - many of his cousins also have the middle name Rose.

The couple has been choosing increasingly obscure names. While Lucia was at No. 242 in 2011, Carina peaked in the 1990s at No. 432, but dropped off the charts last year. Isabetta, on the other hand, doesn't even have a page on Nameipedia. It seems to be a slight twist on the very popular Isabella Rose.

As for Rose, it was hugely popular as a first name in the early 1900s, but has leveled off over the past several decades and currently ranks at No. 291 as a first name. There are now 43 celebrity babies with the middle name Rose in our directory. Most recently Chris Hemsworth named his daughter India Rose and Linda Cardellini chose the double barrelled Lilah-Rose for her little girl.

Perhaps Rose is so popular as a middle name because it goes well with so many other girls names. It is short, sweet and very feminine. Sylvester Stallone is also a fan of it, using it for all three of his daughters' middle names as well.

What do you think of Isabetta Rose? Do you like Rose as a middle name? Why do you think it is so popular?

--A.F.

Comments

June 16, 2012 12:22 PM
By AngelaAiea (not verified)

Seems like a short form of Elisabetta. Interesting. Cute.

I prefer Rose as a first name to Rose as a middle name. It always feels like an incomplete sentence to me. Like "Lucia Rose to her feet" or "India Rose from the dead".

June 18, 2012 3:25 AM
By Tracee Mercier (not verified)

June 18, 2012 3:30 AM
By Tracee Mercier (not verified)

June 20, 2012 9:09 AM
By Zoe (not verified)

I love Rose as a first name, but it is way too used as a middle name. I would bet that Rose and Grace are the most common middle names of the moment with Anne, Lynn and Marie rounding out the top five.

July 7, 2012 5:06 PM
By Megan (not verified)

In theory, I love the middle name Rose. At some point, I've put it with EVERY first name I have ever considered.

In reality, I HATE how popular it's gotten. My middle name is Marie and my SIL's middle name is Anne. We have always complained about how we have "filler" middle names - the same middle names as everyone else. So, yes, while Rose is a beautiful, sweet, flowery, feminine name (and just too short for my tastes in a first name), I refuse to use it now. I've always wanted my kids to have a unique name combination - without using created or completely unheard of names.

With my first name being Megan, I ALWAYS have to spell it out for people. Not because it's an unusual name, but because I was born in the 1980s, apparently during a "Megan" boom. I was NEVER the only Megan in my class, but I was usually the only one with the traditional spelling of it. I encountered Meagans galore, Meghans, Meaghans, and even a Meggan. I didn't want my kids to have to do that, so I wanted to use traditional, but not trendy first names.

For example, my son is Lincoln James. Yes, Lincoln is rising in popularity and yes, James has been popular FOREVER, BUT I haven't come across anyone who used that combination. Hopefully, I won't. =)

November 15, 2012 10:35 AM