Luke, Leia, Han and Your Favorite Star Wars Names

Luke, Leia, Han and Your Favorite Star Wars Names
Fame/Flynet

In honor of the recent news that George Lucas has sold LucasFilm, and thus the rights to the Star Wars franchise, to Disney, who promptly announced that they are planning a Star Wars Episode VII, we thought we'd take a look at some Star Wars names.

Besides the obvious ones of Luke, Leia and Han, there are plenty more interesting (and popular) names to go around. But let's start with the basics. Luke has always been a fairly common name, but its popularity skyrocketed in the 1980s and 1990s after the first films were released. It is currently ranked at No. 39. Similarly, Lucas, the ultimate Star Wars name as the surname of its creator and with Luke as a nickname, has had a similar trajectory and is now ranked at No. 29.

Leia and Hans did not have similar successes. Leia is only now at its highest point yet, a measly No. 783 and Han never really caught on (though Harrison certainly did, rising like a shot after the 1970s).

But what if you want a Star Wars type name that isn't as common as Luke, but also isn't something totally out there like Chewbacca or Jar Jar? Anakin, to start, saw an increase after Star Wars Episode I came out in 1999, but not enough to put it on the charts. Everyone's favorite "card player, gambler, soundrel" Lando also makes a nice name as a stand alone or a nickname for Orlando

For something more mainstream, Skye and Walker are both nice, common names that don't quite reach the popularity of Luke, but still pay homage to the series.

We'll have to wait until 2015 to see what new names the Star Wars universe will throw at us. In the meantime:

What are your favorite Star Wars names? Would you ever choose Yoda or Darth for your baby?

--A.F.

Comments

November 6, 2012 1:01 PM

I know real kids named Anakin and Jedi, as well as the Star Trek–inspired Ryker and Jadzia. I think these are very cool names!

November 6, 2012 1:43 PM
By Em (not verified)

I know of a Luke Sky Walker - Sky is the middle name and Walker is the surname. Cute on a small child, not on a grown man! Needless to say, he just refers to himself as Luke Walker now! lol

November 6, 2012 2:08 PM
By Anya (not verified)

I have a Luke. Well, he is actually Luka (which is way less popular), but goes mostly by Luke. And yes, he was named after Luke Skywalker, at least in part.
I have met a little Anakin.

November 6, 2012 10:17 PM
By Anne (not verified)

I know a little Mara Jade. That name only pops as a Star Wars one if you're geeky enough to read the books, like me...

There are lots of other "expanded universe" names too that could work in real life. Jaina, Jacen, Corran, etc.

November 28, 2012 11:24 AM

I've always liked Anakin, but thought it was a little too "out there" to use.

I also like Jacen, which is a name from the later books.

December 5, 2012 12:58 PM
By Sabrina (not verified)

My son is Cade, who I later found out is Luke Skywalker's grandson in the books. I hope he's in the new movie.

February 13, 2013 5:19 AM
By Anonymous5 (not verified)

My cousin's name is Anakin but we just call her "Ana" yes, she is a woman lol. I think it's kinda cute though but she's in to Battlestar Galactica. http://chordsworld.com/easy-songs-on-guitar/

May 13, 2013 3:33 AM
By Cristian Jackinton (not verified)

Your good knowledge and kindness in playing with all the pieces is very useful. You have provided us with many essential articles, I love the information you provide here and cant wait to take a look when I get home https://www.rebelmouse.com/pearlypenilepapulesremoval/