And the Royal Baby Name Is...

And the Royal Baby Name Is...
Photo Credit: Fame/Flynet

... George Alexander Louis.  The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (That's Will and Kate if you are on familiar terms) have released the name of their new baby -- third in line to the throne.  The baby will be known as His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge, according to a BBC report.

George was at 5/1 odds in the recent polls of British bookmakers, not far behind James, the favorite at 2/1.

If you saw the film The King's Speech, you know of course, that George was the chosen name of Queen Elizabeth's father, portrayed by Colin Firth in the film. He was the sixth King George of England; he was born Albert and took his father's name when he unexpectedly ascended the throne after his older brother Edward VIII abdicated to marry the American divorcee Wallis Simpson.

Beyond that relatively recent history of royal Georges in England, George is perhaps the most traditional choice for a royal baby. St. George is after all the patron saint of England.

As for the rest of the royal baby name, Alexander is said to have been Kate's choice, while Louis is William's fourth middle name.

George is a popular name in England, currently ranking #12.  However, in the U.S. George is relatively flat, at #166, despite the influence of George Washington and George Clooney.  Do you think little Prince George can turn the tide and send George back up the popularity charts in the U.S.?

Comments

July 24, 2013 2:07 PM
By BL (not verified)

Famous American Georges: Bush, Bush Jr., Costanza, Clooney, uhhh Zimmerman. I don't think it's coming back here.

July 24, 2013 6:32 PM

It sounds a lot better with an English accent.

July 24, 2013 6:33 PM
By KristinW (not verified)

I was hoping it would be George! I have a fondness for the name, and for King George VI, after watching The King's Speech!

July 25, 2013 5:47 AM
By Alisha (not verified)

I'm not sure that it will make George spike. I just looked at the name graphs for William and Henry (Harry) and neither of them enjoyed even a modest bump in the mid-1980s, when the princes were born.

July 25, 2013 12:03 PM

I'm hoping it doesn't bump the name up in the USA! It is what I am planning on naming my first son, and I don't want him to be one of 12 Georges in his class!

July 25, 2013 12:35 PM
By Faith (not verified)

In your previous article (It’s A Boy for Will and Kate) it was stated that "William and Harry both have three middle names"... so how is "Louis" Will's 4th middle name as stated in this article? (Looking it up online shows that it's actually his 3rd middle name!)

As for the name George, despite it's history as a royal name, I just don't see it. All the George's I've ever known have been the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a prince.

July 27, 2013 12:59 PM
By robincur17 (not verified)

First of all congratulation for you little child and also the name and hope you all are happy.
[url=http://www.baubid.com/directory/kitchen-renovation/55/ontario/toronto]Baubid has the expert you need for all your kitchen renovation needs in Toronto[/url]

July 28, 2013 11:25 PM
By essays (not verified)

I am just wondering what would be the best name for that kid . Hope it now anything wierd

July 29, 2013 5:34 AM
By carbon wheels (not verified)

love babys

July 30, 2013 1:01 PM
By NW Mom (not verified)

Like many traditions that are beyond retirement-worthy, I'm not very interested in seeing new ways the royal family does the same thing yet again. Yawn. Hopefully Harry will do something fun, like name his son "Lord Dweezil I"...

October 11, 2013 3:09 PM
By Dell cables connectors (not verified)

Your articles are always interesting and understandable. Thank you!

December 10, 2013 3:53 PM
By buy dell keyboard (not verified)

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.I will always bookmark your blog

May 8, 2014 2:02 AM