Ryan Reynolds Finally Confirms Baby's Name & It's Adorable

blake lively ryan reynolds

After months of speculation and rumors (and plenty of jokes), Ryan Reynolds has finally confirmed his daughter's name. She arrived back in December, and, as previously thought, Reynolds and wife Blake Lively have named their daughter James.

Before she was even born, Reynolds made his pick known. He wanted his daughter to be named Excalibur Anaconda. Sadly, that was a no-go. Butternut Summer Squash was the close second.

Then, a hospital nurse supposedly tweeted that the baby's name was Violet. Wrong again.

In February, a source close to the couple revealed the duo decided to keep the androgynous name theme of their family going, and named their baby girl James.

So why all the secrecy and refusal to comment? Pretty simple, really. They just didn't want to be the first to leak it so that they can't be blamed for it later.

"I didn't want to be the first guy screaming it out to the media," the new dad says. "Because as we know, little girls turn into teenage girls and little teenage girls can sometimes scan through the archives and go, 'Why did you do that?'"

It looks like Dad is just trying to avoid having to give possible future explanations. We can't really blame him for that.

And now, officially, welcome to the world, baby James!

What do you think of the official name?

Writen by Suzee Skwiot on CafeMom's blog, The Stir.

Image via Splash News

Comments

March 24, 2015 11:44 AM
By Alli (not verified)

It's a boys name.
Horrible choice, Mr. Reynolds. There are so many strong and still feminine names out there. So now a family of one man and two women have the names of three men.

March 24, 2015 2:15 PM

Could not agree more!

March 24, 2015 4:22 PM

Seriously? People criticizing them need to keep their opinions to themselves. How many people enjoy having the names of their children critiqued? No one. Negativity benefits nobody.

I actually really love feminine names but I think James has a lot of potential- how much do you want to bet she goes through life being called Jamie? I like the fact that they are sticking to their guns and really going for the boys and girls are essentially even mentality. Who knows? It might even benefit her later in life when it comes to applying for things, etc (because sadly society does not view women and men equally). Good for them.

March 24, 2015 10:10 PM
By Debbie S. (not verified)

I wouldn't have thought of it as an androgynous name choice, but I guess James King is a female celebrity with that name, and Jamie is certainly a popular girl's name, so it's not as out-there as I originally thought. I have known girls named Ryan, so I guess they're all in it together!

March 25, 2015 7:08 AM
By Agnetha (not verified)

I have no problem with the name itself but they should have been open and honest and not kept the name secret for so long.

March 25, 2015 8:40 AM
By Heather A. (not verified)

When did James become androgynous? I think it's fine to give your daughter a masculine name (or your son a feminine one) But, surely that can't automatically make the name androgynous? That would make ANY name androgynous by default. Here's the dictionary definition of androgynous - "neither specifically feminine nor masculine." I don't know if James really fits the bill?

March 26, 2015 12:42 PM

James is a MALE name. Period. Nothing adorable about wanting a boy. The trend of "boys names on girls" just continues the double standard (conscious or unconscious misogyny).

It's ok to give boys names to girls because they're strong and powerful.

But don't dare practice the opposite and give a girls name/unisex name to a boy because he'll turn out to be a weak mama's boy.

March 29, 2015 12:36 PM
By Alli (not verified)

Name candy asked for our opinions. I gave mine. That's why I can criticize the name, was invited to.

March 30, 2015 3:37 PM

I assume she was named for Ryan's father, Jim, who has Parkinson's Disease.

Blake was named for her great-uncle, so clearly the families are fine with naming daughters after male relatives. wish more people would name their sons after beloved female relatives!

April 7, 2015 6:00 PM
By Diesel (not verified)

No its not adorable, its terrible. Would you think a boy named Elizabeth would be "adorable"?