Jessa Duggar Finally Reveals Baby Seewald's Name & It's a Mouthful

Jessa Duggar and Ben Seewald Baby Name

After her extremely eventful homebirth, Jessa Duggar and her husband Ben Seewald have waited quite a few days to reveals their new son's name. But that time is finally here and we all finally get to know what they named their new little bundle of joy.

Are you ready for this?

Dun, dun , dun.. the new baby Duggar has been named Spurgeon Elliot Seewald. The baby was named after a British preacher who lived during the 1800s and who founded a theological college in London named Charles Spurgeon.

In the video, Ben explains the middle name Elliot is for missionaries who worked in South America who the couple consider personal heroes.

The name Spurgeon is so unusual I can't even think of a nickname with it, but Jessa says they have always called the baby Quincy. I am not sure "Spurgy" is a cute nickname for a tiny baby.  Maybe they will stick with that. What do you think of the name? Are you into it or do you wish they would have gone with the standard Duggar "J" tradition?

Image via Duggar Family/YouTube

Originally on The Stir

Comments

November 12, 2015 11:33 AM

I think it's interesting that they used both men's last names, rather than Jim or Charles.

November 12, 2015 11:47 AM

Eliot Spurgeon would have been so much better, or Charles Eliot. Spurgeon is pretty bad, I don't know why that was chosen as the first name.

November 12, 2015 4:33 PM

Please please PLEASE stop posting stuff about this family. They do not deserve any attention.

November 12, 2015 5:42 PM

I have met a little boy with the name Spurgeon before. I don't mind it it all. It's two syllables with a "n" ending like so many names right now. It's not that out there in sound. And as for people complaining about them using the last names instead of first names, surnames are so popular. It's not unusual at all, it's just people don't like Spurgeon, but if it were Beckett, or Anderson, or Kennedy, no one would bat an eye.

November 12, 2015 8:16 PM

Nicknames could be: Spur, John (geon), and my hubby would totally call the child Spurt.

November 13, 2015 7:26 AM
By EmilyM (not verified)

I don't outright hate it, but it is unfortunate in containing both "spurn" and sounding like "Sturgeon."

November 13, 2015 5:10 PM

Not my kettle of fish but what else would a super-'religious' family do?!

I am no fan of this tribe either, their 'religion' gives the whole idea of belief in a faith a bad name.

November 16, 2015 3:11 PM
By Rhii (not verified)

There was a character in the Anne of Green Gables novels who got stuck with "Moody Spurgeon MacPherson". I think Spurgeon Elliot Seewald is actually better than that!

And I imagine they used Elliot instead of Jim/James to honor Jim AND Elisabeth. Elisabeth Elliot is a hero in that subculture as much as or more than her husband.

November 17, 2015 3:53 PM

I appreciate hearing positive news about this family, so thank you for sharing. Those that don't want to know should not read it.

I think the name is kind of cool. Love that it's different. Spurry could be a cute nickname.

November 24, 2015 12:16 PM

Another attempt to grab attend prove how preachy this family is. Poor baby, another victim of this culty clan